BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those interested, the January 2011 issue of BMW Car magazine features their E34 M5 Buying Guide.:santasmile2:

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Premium Member
2,941 Posts
can someone scan it?
We won't allow scanning of recent publications; The staff of BMW Car put a lot of effort in this booklet and allows them to make a living. We should respect that. If you want the article, simply buy the magazine.

·
Premium Member
2,941 Posts
I have reviewed the E34 M5 buying guide in the M5-booklet. This is by far the best buying guide for these cars that I have come accross in the written press. They did their research well, undoubtetly with info from m5board and managed to sumarize that in an easy to read buying guide.

Highly recommended reading for owners, enthusiasts and prospective buyers. :applause:

·
Registered
7,667 Posts
I have reviewed the E34 M5 buying guide in the M5-booklet. This is by far the best buying guide for these cars that I have come accross in the written press. They did their research well, undoubtetly with info from m5board and managed to sumarize that in an easy to read buying guide.

Highly recommended reading for owners, enthusiasts and prospective buyers. :applause:
I agree , Raymond , in that this is one seriously in depth guide which is definitely reflective of Bob Harper's experience of and enthusiasm for the E34 M5 .

I have , however , noticed a couple of school boy errors .

On page 74 , the rear disc size of the later 6 speed models is listed as 325mm rather than the correct measurement of 328mm .

Another glaring error ( apart from recommending the use of Castrol TWS / Edge 10w60 .... lol ) was to use the Owner's view of some no-nothing numpty named David Olias !

·
Registered
125 Posts
As much as I concur that this is probably the best 'buying guide' article ever written about the E34 M5, I must add that had I read this article before I bought mine, I probably wouldn't have bought one!!! It would have scared me off completely!

On a serious note - I did a small bit of research before buying mine, but the most important thing that I did was to take someone else along with me, just to make sure that I had an extra pair of eyes to spot for anything that I might have missed. You know what it's like when you have a wad of cash in your pocket, you can let your heart rule your head and common sense doesn't always prevail. Originally (back in 2001) I wanted an E36 M3 Evo Saloon, but that is another story...(BTW, I am glad that I didn't).

In 9 years of ownership, I had just short of 8 years of completely trouble-free motoring and in that time all I had to put in was petrol/oil etc. This also includes being exported to Canada (2005-07) going through two winters of -30 deg C, and three years in Germany where she regularly stretched her legs legally, before finally returning back to the UK this summer.

However, in the past 14 months she has had a recon gearbox/diff and a complete sls/edc delete because one of the rear shockers was leaking and it failed the MOT. The cynic in me says that time has caught up with her but I put down most of these problems down to lack of use - about two years ago she stopped being my daily driver and was just used at weekends and that was when the problems started. Now that the suspension is finally sorted, it is being put back into regular (everyday) use, well as soon as this snow disappears!

The thing is though I really don't mind, because I will find the money, whatever it costs, whenever I need to, to keep her on the road. IMHO, I had more than my monies worth back in the pleasure that I have had since I have owned her and I can't bear to part with her.

The bottom line is - look after them, service and maintain them properly and they will go on and on and on........

·
Registered
7,667 Posts
As much as I concur that this is probably the best 'buying guide' article ever written about the E34 M5, I must add that had I read this article before I bought mine, I probably wouldn't have bought one!!! It would have scared me off completely!

The bottom line is - look after them, service and maintain them properly and they will go on and on and on........
Couldn't agree more Richard !

I definitely feel that these cars thrive on being used regularly .

D

·
Registered
52 Posts
Couldn't agree more Richard !

I definitely feel that these cars thrive on being used regularly .

D

i agree, i think they like to be used. in the 7 months i've had mine, i still look for any excuse, to just go out for a drive.
i bought the mag, as i am currently considering selling my e34, m5, as i'm going back to the world of rock n roll trucking next year,
so will be away best part of the year, and it seems a waste for the car to sit around unloved, and not being driven and polished.
i'll miss it, as, it is without a shadow of a doubt, the greatest car i've ever owned. i think the mag did a really good review, think its well
worth any e34 m5 fan, buying a copy.

·
Registered
7,667 Posts
Got it .........Just replied ......... Sorry , caught up with festivities !

1 - 13 of 13 Posts