BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

For once I have a worthy contribution to this fine resource.

I've just modified my Oem amp to remove the blown power amp section and run the amp inputs straight to the built in crossovers, preserving the Oem speaker separates system as it should be :) Instructions attached :)

I think they probably blow up because they weren't designed to be fed by 40w high power head units, such as most of us have.

Anyway..it's a good mod. I did mine using this link, from Attack Eagle, on Bimmerlounge (many thanks to both), but mines a bit easier to see which channels go where.
http://forums.bimmerlounge.com/viewtopic.php?p=485&sid=5da576a1b42843160ddc29ea78e936e1

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Glad to see it was of use To others Still!
A 40x4 head unit is about 15-17 RMS, but I’ve used up to 45 w rms x4 from an external amp on the factory nokias with 0 issues.
By picking the signal up inside the bypassed amp, feeding it to the high level inputs of a vintage 45x4 amp, then back into the crossovers. Basically a much cleaner and 6x more powerful factory amp.

They do sound better the more power you feed them with one exception, the dash midrange. Stock there was speaker grill fabric over those mounted under the grill slats which most cars have lost, & without it the mid ranges are over bright with higher power. Solution: replace the fabric and amp away!

Sincerely: Onizukachan / Attack Eagle.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts