BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

301 - 320 of 345 Posts

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Maybe the the EDC at that time was already STD: feature in the car? I think it was STD. on late 93' or 94"?
Planning to buy the car? What's Pink flips?
-
All 3.8 E34 M5 incl the 'tourings' have 'adaptive EDC-suspension' as standard equipment, whereas the EDC-P/S-switch (part of the Nuerburgring-
Fahrwerkspaket) can easily be added to any of these cars as all the wiring is already in place.

·
Registered
826 Posts
-
All 3.8 E34 M5 incl the 'tourings' have 'adaptive EDC-suspension' as standard equipment, whereas the EDC-P/S-switch (part of the Nuerburgring-
Fahrwerkspaket) can easily be added to any of these cars as all the wiring is already in place.

Yes, but I think I have read somewhere o maybe my mind created this speculation, that at some time (year) a STD 3.8L came with the EDC buttom, I mean, it didn't have to be a Nurburing package or a special edition to bring from factory the EDC buttom, but I think in 93-94 was released this feature as STD and not optional? And the early ones, like my 92 3.8L didn't bring the EDC buttom, I had to purchase it separatly and retro fit it.

Maybe I'm wrong...

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Yes, but I think I have read somewhere o maybe my mind created this speculation, that at some time (year) a STD 3.8L came with the EDC buttom, I mean, it didn't have to be a Nurburing package or a special edition to bring from factory the EDC buttom, but I think in 93-94 was released this feature as STD and not optional? And the early ones, like my 92 3.8L didn't bring the EDC buttom, I had to purchase it separatly and retro fit it.

Maybe I'm wrong...
-
Hi there.
You are NOT all together wrong but you are mixing up things a bit.
1. All 3.8´E34 M5 have EDC-adaptive-suspension
2. the Nuerburgring-suspension-package (EDC-S/P-switch, wider rear wheels (sedans), speed controlled powersteering/servotronic, thicker anti roll bar) = was optional 1992>94 models
3. the EDC-switch was an easy retrofit as were the other parts if wanted -
4. from the 95-model-year (94 + 95 built cars) the Nuerburgring-suspension-package became a standard factory feature, however without
the -servotronic- which became a pay-extra-option -
-
courtesy of -bmwmregistry.com-
What is the Nürburgring Package?
Though the Adaptive M Suspension was fitted to all 3.8-liter M5s, those produced before May of 1994 could be upgraded with the optional Nürburgring Package, named after the famous road course (and BMW proving ground) in north-west Germany. The package consisted of the following items:
-ZF Servotronic vehicle-speed sensitive power steering (also offered as an individual option)
-Thicker rear anti-roll bars (19mm on sedans, 20mm on Tourings)
-Wider 9x17-inch alloy wheels with 255/40ZR17 rear tires (already standard on the M5 Touring)
-A control switch for the Adaptive M Suspension, allowing the EDC shocks to be locked in to their firmest position.

This package was discontinued with the introduction of the six-speed E34 M5 in May of 1994, which featured the thicker rear anti-roll bars, staggered wheels (now in 18-inch form) and switchable shocks as standard equipment. However, the Servotronic steering assist remained an individual option.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Now it's clear. No, I never intended to say or that I was doubting about if all the 3.8L had EDC or not, I knew all 3.8L builded had EDC as STD from factory, but the switch.

:cheers:

·
Registered
7 Posts
hiha

Didn't know that . ty :cool2:

·
Registered
491 Posts
Huh, I'd imagine the most cost effective way to achieve 400 ponies is to get yourself a V8 and supercharge it. My M540i-Sport boasts 414 and does it ever pull well through all six gears
There are a bunch of cars that are faster than the M5, but nothing has the sound and feel of a S38 motor!!!

·
Registered
337 Posts
Thanks for your input Big Dog, that very well be. Personally I've not experienced the "aura" created by that big six but sure wouldn't mind if some one would take me for a ride. From a monetary standpoint I figure the V8 is the way to go and from what I've read my 540i-Sport, (just received a chastising letter from PorscheH6 telling of my "ignorance"), has all the super duper features of Its Canadian counterpart and the Supercharger boosts ponies to a little over 400 and coupled to that 6 speed and Limited Slip third member the "fun" factor, or "bang for the buck" factor is unbeatable.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Thanks for your input Big Dog, that very well be. Personally I've not experienced the "aura" created by that big six but sure wouldn't mind if some one would take me for a ride. From a monetary standpoint I figure the V8 is the way to go and from what I've read my 540i-Sport, (just received a chastising letter from PorscheH6 telling of my "ignorance"), has all the super duper features of Its Canadian counterpart and the Supercharger boosts ponies to a little over 400 and coupled to that 6 speed and Limited Slip third member the "fun" factor, or "bang for the buck" factor is unbeatable.
I can appreciate your passion for the E34 chassis variant; 540i Sport.
I to am passionate as a multiple BMW owner for the last 24 yrs. and the virtues of my current two pristine later model non ///M BMWs that have been upgraded with ///M-Sport performance parts and those before them to include a super pristine 88M6 with loads of performance upgrades and then there is my E34 M5 that I have owned since 1991.

As an enthusiast, I post to discuss my thoughts on the specific Forum for the vehicle models I own.
Also, when I contribute to other forums I discuss technical content and am respectful with my argumentative opinions and allow others in their Forum the space to hold dear to their subjective believes.

With that said:
For those that cherish their E34, M5, cost with respect to "fun factor" is not relevant, except I and others will pay "what ever it takes" to perform the maintenance/PM, refurbishments and upgrades I/we desire.
Also, if I would have wanted an E34 540i Sport, I could/would have purchased one new/used a long time ago.
And IMHO, the M5 is beyond comparison because the raw character and heritage of this LAST of the BIG SIX S38 engine is something beyond the "bang for the buck", a character all late model M5's lack even though their HP far exceeds that of the 540i Sport w/blower!!

I am happy you adore your E34, 540i Sport, however don't understand the relevance on this M5 forum.
Regards

·
Registered
337 Posts
BigDog, thanks for your message and clarification. I am browsing the different post sections and had posted a question as to the "desirability" or "collectability" of my Dinan prepped 540M-sport with that question being should I track the car or hang onto it. Both you and PorscheH6 have answered my question and those answers leave me with no questions in my mind. Cheers and see you at the track.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I am NOT a drag racer....but:
1000hp M5 - AT&T Yahoo Search Results
http://search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?p=1000hp+M5&ei=UTF-8&hspart=att&hsimp=yhs-att_001&type=sbc_dsl

It seems to me that the S38 is an extremely strong engine, and if you really want to create big numbers, you just need to blow in it, even at a fairly mild boost, maybe an easy centrifugal supercharger. (Old hat, but so's the car).

On the other hand, my abused but very greatly loved 180k mile stock engined S38B36 gets my heavy beast around VIR racetrack very damned well, and it can outrun many race spec BMW's, beats US spec E36 M3s, and even sticks with SOME stock E46 M3s, depending on tires and, well, driver, although I'm only counting instructors.

Yes, unfortunately, a freaking Subaru or Camaro beats it in a drag race, but hey, I don't drag race....;)

Wish I had a B38, though....... ~300whp would be nice.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Bologna motorshow car

Does anyone have any information on the 1993 bologna motorshow car?

Could this be one of the 400 bhp cars? I believe it went back to garching after the show where it was upgraded with the factory large brakes and 6 speed box to add to the already massive spec.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Does anyone have any information on the 1993 bologna motorshow car?

Could this be one of the 400 bhp cars? I believe it went back to garching after the show where it was upgraded with the factory large brakes and 6 speed box to add to the already massive spec.
-
The E34 M5 built-date 1993-10-25 for the Bologna motorshow (1994??), colour: 'Zyclamrot-met.' (FE 68-300A BASF) is running in
Sweden and NOT assumed to be one of the legendary factory 400/408 bhp cars.:frown

·
Registered
66 Posts
If we are talking about GD64079, I own this car and it is in the UK. Been stored for 10 years. Currently recommissioning the vehicle.

·
Registered
62 Posts
If we are talking about GD64079, I own this car and it is in the UK. Been stored for 10 years. Currently recommissioning the vehicle.
I do not understand your question. You have this car for over 10 years and ask if it's one of those 400 bhp:confused:

·
Registered
66 Posts
No, I said the car had been stored for 10 years. Whether I owned the car or not during this time is surely irrelevant as to my enquiry as to if it may be a 400 bhp variant.

However, I own the car GD64079 and am trying to establish its history. It probably isn't one of the tuned versions, but, as it seems that some remain unaccounted for, it would be good to try to establish if this one is or isn't one of them.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
No, I said the car had been stored for 10 years.
Whether I owned the car or not during this time is surely irrelevant as to my enquiry as to if it may be a 400 bhp variant.
However, I own the car GD64079 and am trying to establish its history. It probably isn't one of the tuned versions,
but, as it seems that some remain unaccounted for, it would be good to try to establish if this one is or isn't one of them.
-
Fair enough. My apologies for assuming this car runs in Sweden,
apparently I mixed it up with another 'motorshow' E34 M5, sorry.:wink
Congratulations to your ownership and good luck with the digging for
history details. However, what is it that makes you think it could be one the 'mysterious'
factory 400/408 bhp factory E34 M5 ??
-
I believe it went back to garching after the show where it was upgraded with the
factory large brakes and 6 speed box to add to the already massive spec.
What is it that makes you believe this car was 'upgraded' in the Garching facilities for some reason ??
Is GD64079 not a regular modell year 95 'face-lift' modell car ??

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hi

It could be a tuned version as it was supplied to Italy with a very high spec (probably the highest spec m5 if you look at the options list) at around the time that the alleged Gabanelli car was around. It was sent back to M to be upgraded with big brakes, 6 speed gearbox and diff. It is burgundy red colour which fits in with the description of one of the tuned cars.

I'm just trying to see who knows what about the car.

I haven't driven it hard yet as I need to check valve clearances and recomission the car after a long time in storage so can't comment on whether it's quicker than a standard m5.

301 - 320 of 345 Posts