BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Last Wednesday, I drove to the German Sauerland region for one of the larger events of my local car club, the 'Europarit'. This is a ~3000km tour through Europe and last 4.5days. I have long since been an official for this event and this time I was responsible for a secret check point near Siegen. 'Secret' means that the participants do not have advance knowledge about the location of these kind of check points. Especially the passing time makes the classification.

We where with three persons, but Steve had to come from the South west, which is 200km driving distance from my place of living. The opening time of the check point was 6.32PM, however, I need an hour on site for making the preparations and a driving time of four hours for the 290km to Siegen. Ideally, I planned to leave at 1.30PM, but Steve encountered lot's of slow traffic which delayed him with 50minutes. This mean that I didn't leave Nijverdal before 2.15PM, 45min behind schedule. So we got a bad start. However, when entering Autobahn A31 near the German city of Gronau, we where being overtaken by the youngest model Audi A8. The two rectangular exhaust pipes made it clear what it was. 12cylinders, 6.0litres and 450hp @6200RPM / 580nm @4000RPM. With a mere two tonnes, this is a fast car indeed. I know this from a first hand experience as I have driven one some time ago. Yes, it is large, but also extremely quick.

Since it was driving >200km/h and I was just entering the autobahn, an A8 with the W12 engine would normally be gone. However, upcomming traffic forces one to slow down from time to time which allowed me to catch up with him. A closer look at the car confirmed that it was indeed a W12 version so that makes some nice competition (or NOT?).

Anyhow, the A8 had no passengers, only its driver. I on the other hand had two passengers so basically, the battle weights are about equal. The left lane was cleared and the A8 floored it. In the mean time, I had selected third gear and we accelarated fully from 130km/h up until the limiters from our cars. In third gear, I was able to reduce the distance with roughly one meter until 160km/h where I had to shift to fourth gear. In that gear, I didn't loose anything up until 200-210km/h after which I had to engage fifth gear. From that point on, I started to loose distance up until 250km/h where the A8 gained an estimated 300mtr. When I passed the 250km/h mark, I gained back some distance, meaning the limiter of the A8 prevented higher speeds.

However, there is always someone who spoils the fun and even when someone is driving 160-180km/h on the left lane, driving 250km/h or more is very hard on the brakes. Sometimes we had to brake from 250km/h to 85km/h so imagine the heat build up in the brake disks! The A31 between Gronau and Bottrop also is known as the 'Oberhausen Straight', a ~90km long pencil straight stretch of Autobahn, making it ideal for high speed exercises.

During 75km, I was able to stay relatively close to the A8 and repeat some acceleration runs from moderate speeds up until 250km/h. The results where the same. In third gear, I was a bit quicker. In fourth gear, I didn't loose anything. And in fifth gear, I lost the battle up until 250km/h after which I gained back about halve the distance because my limiter doesn't kick in at 250km/h already.

The fun ended when we encounted a traffic jam 10km before Bottrop for which we had to brake hard from roughly 230-250km/h to stand still. Poor brakes. Yes, we could smell them from my car as well as from the A8.

It turned out that the A31 was blocked because a car caught fire and had to be removed. During that unwanted stop, I walked to the the A8 that was still in front of me to give its driver the thumbs up. We talked for a while and he enjoyed the fun as much as we did. His traffic information system informed us that both directions where blocked for an indefinite amount of time, so we simply had to wait.

During that brake exercize, it became clear that the autobahn contains lots of morons. Both the A8 and myself where to fast to catch the last exit so we had no choice to stay on the left track. However, on the right track, someone in a Ford Focus engaged the reverse gear to drive back! On on of the fastest autobahns that Germany has!! That also is used by Brabus for their high speed test runs!!! Fortunately the (female) driver in the Opel Astra that was directly behind that Focus, but was still slowing down looked in her rear view mirror.

Furthermore, it learned that if driven well and maintained well, the E34 ///M5 is still a rapid car. Yes, I may have had the advantage of the slipstream in third and fourth gear, but the W12 has 135hp more and I was with two passengers whereas the A8 was driving alone. I never expected to stay that close, especially during the acceleration runs from normal travelling speeds. Anyhow, this was lot's of fun and prooved that a well maintained E34 ///M5 can still be driven very fast and surprise owners/drivers of younger high performance cars. Needless to say that my fuel consumption was on teh very very high side last Wednesday, but it was worth every penny.

·
Moderator Emeritus
4,273 Posts
Hi Raymond
Good to see you keeping your toe down.

Some yrs ago, when working in Merkenich, I remember several of my German collegues expressing a generally negative view about Auslanders using the Autobahn Network but in particular , the Danes & the Dutch...!
Have you ever encountered this type of attitude ever ?

BTW, has your 3.6 still got its electronic speed governer in place ?

Regards
Farrell

·
Premium Member
2,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
farrell said:
Hi Raymond
Good to see you keeping your toe down.

Some yrs ago, when working in Merkenich, I remember several of my German collegues expressing a generally negative view about Auslanders using the Autobahn Network but in particular , the Danes & the Dutch...!

Regards
Farrell
Farrel,

If I have problems with German cars, then it are mostly those driven by elderly people (55+) in the average small middle class cars (Golf, Focus ect) who block the left lane and don't move to the right. This annoys me, especially since they know that someone is driving behind them. They usually do this in speed restricted zones and mostly in the Ruhr area.

For instance, last Wednesday, I drove behind a VW Golf IV just before AB-kreuz (intersection) Bottrop. In the unrestricted zone just before it, he drove on the left lane with a strict 100km/h and stayed there, even though the left lane was empty for more then 500mtr. I stayed behind him off course and waited or him to clear the way. After a minute that still didn't happen so I passed him with a marginal speed difference on the right. Yes, I know it isn't allowed and I usually don't pass other cars on the right, but these people pull the blood out of my finger nails and probaly forget that there are people on the road with a time schedule. When I passed him and switched to the left lane again for the direction to Dortmund, I saw that a polizei patrol car was driving behind that Golf. Instead of going after me, he choose to go in the direction of Oberhausen, so I was lucky I guess, or could imagine my position.

For the rest, I don't have any problems with German's, but I am not that typical Dutch driver who stays on the left lane with 130km/h sharp.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Nice race Raymond,

In a few weeks i'll be going to Buchloe for the Alpina meeting.We'll be with the BT and a E34 M5.What's the best road to take to have some fun through Germany?

·
Premium Member
2,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cor-Jan said:
Nice race Raymond,

In a few weeks i'll be going to Buchloe for the Alpina meeting.We'll be with the BT and a E34 M5.What's the best road to take to have some fun through Germany?

Cor Jan,

My preference would be the A7 from Hamburg to Fussen. It is not that crowded and especially between Kassel and Schweinfurt is lots of fun.

But the A7 is only interesting if you live in North East of Holland as else, this is a longer detour.

Very interesting also would be the A45 between Dortmund and Hanau. This is also as hilly and curvy as the A7, but the curves allow a much higher speed then the A7 were you need some eperience to maintain >200km/h.

From Hanau to Wurzbug over the A3 and after Wurzburg the A7 to Ulm / Fussen. Especially this road is a real high speed test track.

Rgrds,

Raymond

·
Registered
687 Posts
farrell said:
...Some yrs ago, when working in Merkenich, I remember several of my German collegues expressing a generally negative view about Auslanders using the Autobahn Network but in particular , the Danes & the Dutch...!
As a Dane, i can certainly relate to this..
When i have been in Germany for the weekends, and cross the border returning to Denmark, i usually dont come more than 20 or 30km north of the border, before i have to make some serious braking, because some moron just decided the left lane looked better than the traffic-free right lane, and ofcourse this moron have to decide this, exactly when im 100m behind him, at nearly twice his speed..

It feels like ALL danish people do this.. except me ofcorse :)

To be honest, i think it is some kind of Danish mentallity, that makes these people think that they have to act like little policemen.. and when they see me in their mirror, they think "that guy is driving too fast.. let me block the road and force him to slow down". And they drive home, thinking that they have been good today.. helping the police control the traffic.

Not long ago, there was a radio programme where people could call in, and disguss traffic mentallity. And one guy called in, and told them that when he was on the motorway, he would allways drive on the left lane at exactly 130kmh because this is the limit, and therefore nobody should drive faster than him.
Not even the policechief that was in the studio, could make him understand that this was not a good idea..

But, i have never heard any complaints from Germans, about the driving style of danish people on the Autobahn.

farrell said:
Yes it has, i think what Raymond means in his story, is that our cars can go 260 on the speedo, before the limiter kicks in, where the Audi can "only" go 250-255.

·
Premium Member
2,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Donati said:
Yes it has, i think what Raymond means in his story, is that our cars can go 260 on the speedo, before the limiter kicks in, where the Audi can "only" go 250-255.
On my car, the speed governor doesn't seem to work then as I have seen the needle going slightly above 270km/h before the rev limiter kicked in. I compared that with the BC reading on a few occasions on that Sunday evening in May 2004 and I have seen multiple 268km/h readings.

With the W12, I didn't reach that mark as it was Wednesday afternoon atround 3.15PM. I did see 260km/h on the speedo, but to reach the last 10km/h, one needs a clear road and the A31 is just not that anymore since the German's completed the section North of between Bad Bentheim. grrrrrrr

·
Registered
885 Posts
. I did see 260km/h on the speedo, but to reach the last 10km/h, one needs a clear road and the A31 is just not that anymore since the German's completed the section North of between Bad Bentheim. grrrrrrr
You are lucky enough already living so close to Germany ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts