BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a bit behind on this one. Having come across their existence only two months ago. As this subject has not been revisited for a while (Having just read the old threads) is there any later info on wherabouts etc etc.

I like most of us (I guess) would love to own one of these beautys. In particular I like the thought of one joining my red M3 because at a glance most people like neighbours and clients would probably not realise the cars were different - being just another red BMW!

I also prefer solid colours to metallic, my E34 is in Granite silver, solid colours always look good and easier to look after - like stone chips, whereas metallic colours only come alive in the sun light.

·
Registered
7,660 Posts
Hi Richard ......I seem to recall board member Skippy ???? owning one of these rare cars , so he may be able to shed a touch more light on the matter ....I also recall seeing some great clips of one on YouTube .

p.s. OTT are you no longer affiliated to the BMWCC or are you just no longer a director ?

·
Moderator Emeritus
4,273 Posts
Some of these cars have now been crashed & broken for spares
Several complete 20 Jahre interiors have appeared for sale over
the years.:sad1:

I have seen two complete cars, one of which was immaculate.
The other appeared to have the wider kidney grill & hood from the later
V8 & June 1994 facelift E34.

They are a rare thing.:)

Farrell

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
Hi there Richard.
As Raymond says, present status of positive identification is 11 (eleven) cars
out of 20. Three of these are in Sweden, one is converted into a track car
(nicely done but still....), one has a M60/V8-front, black-head-lights and number three (original car, low mileage) is actually 'for sale´(located in the South of Sweden). The is also one "20 Jahre-look-a-like"-car located to the
Netherlands claimed by the owner to be "20 Jahre" -01/20-. This car is NOT
a "20 Jahre"-car BUT a BMW-exhibition car built for the cars-show in Geneva
in March 1992, the colour of this car is 'brillantrot".
-
I do hope to actually find some more of these cars hopefully still hidden in some private collections. Only one is so far confirmed as -dead-.

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
I also prefer solid colours to metallic, my E34 is in Granite silver, solid colours always look good and easier to look after - like stone chips, whereas metallic colours only come alive in the sun light.
-
[email protected]
Sorry mate, I do not understand..... please explain...
= Granitsilber-metallic ( 237 M) on an E34 M5 is a -metallic- colour !?
Is it not ??:confused:
-
'mugellorot and 'brillantrot' *), however, are not and these are the colours you like if I understand you correctly ?
*) along with 'alpinweiss II ( 218 U )
-
cheers:M5launch:

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all for the replies.

David - still in the car club (and a director) and still running the M5 E34 register although with such good forums and knowledge out there I tend to direct owners to them. Have you sold the two e28's?

Raymond, Farrel and Karl

I have collected the pics that Karl forwarded and the show car although not a 20 jahre must confusingly be to the same spec? i.e the interior etc. I personally prefer the Brilliant rot over the mugello.

Problem I would have should one turn up being that I have invested so much in my granite silver one that I may have to start the rolling retoration all over again! also perhaps a case of better the devil you know..

One of the items I did change on my car many years ago was to fit the (same Recaros as the 20 jahre) and had them upholstered in the correct motorsport cloth/amereta to the car's spec - just because they are such a comfortable seat. This was due to experience with my E30 M3 sport Evo (in Brilliant rot).

The granite silver is yes metallic but not a colour of choice.

·
Registered
7,660 Posts
Hi Richard , it's good to hear that you are still involved .

Make sure that you drop me a mail next time you are organising a decent track day ......I was gutted to miss that last one !

I sold the E28 that you saw at the 21st Birthday meet and it seemed to stir up some bad feelings ......long story ......

I also recently bought , overhauled and sold No 13 at a loss but she's gone to a real enthusiast and board member that is already throwing more money at her so she should live on for a while yet !

I am just in the final stages of restoring no 66 and don't think that I will ever sell her after over a year of blood , sweat and tears !

How's your garage queen ? Did you not fancy another marketing campaign after seeing the 29,000 miler recently sell on Pistonheads for around the £20k mark ?

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
David

The next trackday I'm organising is booked at Donington - monday 6th October.

We also have a day at Cadwell on 29th April - a truly great circuit.

The garage queen is presently in her carcoon and sleeping through the winter gloom - being such a queen she probably would refuse to start or turn a wheel until the salt has disappeared and theres a blue sky with a minimum of 15o, what a queen!

·
Registered
7,660 Posts
Great stuff Richard , I'll call you to book up Cadwell ( I've raced bikes around there and agree it's a great circuit ) and will also be up for Donny .

Look after that Queen of yours ......she's beautiful !

D

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Glad you will attend, what would be the steer at Cadwell?

Sebring Grey added to your fleet, a nice colour and well photographed In Alan Henry's M power book.

Any interest for you with the 20 jahre?

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
David

Your earlier post re values on the E28. Trouble is what could replace her in spite of the return? Once gone is gone...

Maybe one day when that first impression
of discovering the raw appeal and solid capability of the E28 has become lost in the midst of time then it could find a place in anothers garage.

A good friend (and M car enthusiast) was reaching for yellow pages to find a good shrink when he learned that someone offered me 30k (some ten years ago) and found I was not interested.

I've pondered on this often since but then someone showed keen interest last year but even then I could not find the voice to say - maybe!

Leave that yellow pages on the shelf !!

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Thank you all for the replies.

David - still in the car club (and a director) and still running the M5 E34 register although with such good forums and knowledge out there I tend to direct owners to them. Have you sold the two e28's?

Raymond, Farrel and Karl

I have collected the pics that Karl forwarded and the show car although not a 20 jahre must confusingly be to the same spec? i.e the interior etc. I personally prefer the Brilliant rot over the mugello.

Problem I would have should one turn up being that I have invested so much in my granite silver one that I may have to start the rolling retoration all over again! also perhaps a case of better the devil you know..

One of the items I did change on my car many years ago was to fit the (same Recaros as the 20 jahre) and had them upholstered in the correct motorsport cloth/amereta to the car's spec - just because they are such a comfortable seat. This was due to experience with my E30 M3 sport Evo (in Brilliant rot).

The granite silver is yes metallic but not a colour of choice.
What model are the Recaros? Is it the SR?

Thanks

Lantz

·
Registered
7,660 Posts
Glad you will attend, what would be the steer at Cadwell?

Sebring Grey added to your fleet, a nice colour and well photographed In Alan Henry's M power book.

Any interest for you with the 20 jahre?
Richard , I've mailed you direct .

The 3.6 Sebring will be the choice of steer at Cadwell .....she is being fully prepped as we speak .....S50B32 tensioner , air/oil filters , Silkolene Pro S oil , coolant , brake fluid , Upper and lower front control arms / bushes , Tie rod ends , anti roll bar links , Bosch Y6DCs , rear axle beam bushes , new pipes to the rear sls , 4 new Michelin PS2s etc etc etc ......

I am always interested in special cars ......

·
Registered
7,660 Posts
David

Your earlier post re values on the E28. Trouble is what could replace her in spite of the return? Once gone is gone...

!
Richard , that is exactly the point .......as board member Toys r us said before I let no 013 go , ' when I see what these cars are going for , I wonder why anyone would ever sell one ' ......

With hindsight , I should have simply kept both 13 and 66 .....but IF my Gran had balls , she'd be my Grandad .....it's easy to be wise after the event !

I look forward to seeing you at Cadwell !

D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts