BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can slide into an average E34 M5 locally for about $30k CDN now.

Why wouldn't a guy hunt down a low-mileage specimen so he can have two M5 iterations?

The E39 is quite a machine, but I'm sorry...nothing sounds better than that big Six...

Alps

[This message has been edited by alpywhite (edited 25 October 2000).]

·
Registered
844 Posts
Originally posted by alpywhite:
I can slide into an average E34 M5 locally for about $30k CDN now.

Why wouldn't a guy hunt down a low-mileage specimen so he can have two M5 iterations?

The E39 is quite a machine, but I'm sorry...nothing sounds better than that big Six...

Alps

[This message has been edited by alpywhite (edited 25 October 2000).]
I agree. The e34 M5 engine is a work of art. Both the looks and sound of that I6 is far superior to the V8 of the e39 M5. I only wish BMW would have given us an I6 in the e39 M5. I'm sure they could have supercharged it and came up with 400 hp like the V8 of the e39.

------------------

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
On one hand - the E34 M5 is a really nice car.

On the other - nothing exceeds like excess, and you're not going to get a 5-liter inline-6.

On the sound front - even if BMW had built a 6-cylinder M5, it wouldn't necessarily sound all that great - sound regulations have gotten tighter, and you'd need a trunkfull of mufflers on it too.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Buy it, Buy it, Buy it!!!
I sold mine in replacement of an E39 540i (which in turn was replaced by the M5) and some morning when I woke up and can't get back to sleep, I can still hear the distant cry of "Why did you get rid of me?" from my old E34. Part of the reason why I bought this E39 M5 was in memory of the old E34 M5.

I found another one a while ago in Toronto, unfortunately highly modified, and asking for $40K CDN. So I would say if you can get it at 30K and your favorite mechanic is approving it, then go for it.
But then again, given BC's car price is generally higher than that in Ontario, I begin to doubt how nice the car was kept.

If you don't dig convertible, I would say E34 M5 is your best second car at that price range.

You can still challenge most people with the statement, "So, which M5 do you want me to beat you with?"

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I have spoken to many ex E30 M3 or E34 owners that regret selling their cars. My plan is to keep mine so long it isn't worth much and there is no reason to sell it. Then when you guys get sick of your E39 and think you want a Lexus with an auto instead, I can step in and buy your M5 for like $40k and still have my E34 or weekends.

The //M cars have rather long lives in terms of performance. Other than the M5 and E55, there aren't many four doors, including the 540i, that out perform the E34 M5--and none that sound as good. My favorite was when an instructor at a driving school asked me if it had a cam while we were idling in pre-grid. The E30 M3 at 200hp is still a fast 4 cylinder in this day of vtec and variable valve/cam timing.

I am sure the E39 M5 won't be "as fast" five years from now and you never know, it may be considered more "raw" than the next one. It is all relative.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Guys,
stick to your M cars, they are worth it and they will be tour de force even in 10 years time...i thought about selling M Roadster for new M3 and i was given half of the original price i paid for a car when it was new, now it has only 12k on it...it is like new still and after driving it recently, i cannot imagine what got into me about exchanging it for M3...now i realise how much i would have regreted it, if went on with this rip off deal...i even felt guilty when driving it, like i rejected it in favor of something worse
i brought my excuses to it

------------------
SL

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The only practical issue is, why two sedans...

PLUS I scanned the E34 board and I'm not sure I want to deal with too many maintenance and repair issues on an expired-warrranty M Car...

Still thinking,
Alps

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
You don't truly know your baby until you climbed under it and sworn at it, etc.

Yes, they are expensive to maintain but we all think it is worth it. Can you imagine what the E39 will cost to keep long term? There is something special about them and they reward those that give them tlc.

------------------
Kevin Kelly
91 M5
Dinan chip
Dinan Stage III
Racing Dynamics sway bars
18" BBS RC's
turbines for the track

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
You all bring up very valid points, especially the point about the I6 sounds... I had a Supercharged M3 before my E39 M5 and it made some VERY wonderful noises when I would put my foot into it!!! If I would have had the garage space?, I would have kept it... also, my wife did not approve of me having not one, but TWO M cars in the garage...especially since her Honda would have been sleeping outside!

However, although the M3 does make great noises as does the E34 M5's engine; there is not another more wonderful sound as to hear my E39 M5's V8 sucking air when I plunge my foot into it!! Man does that give me wood!!!

Andy M.

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
If you really want a great investment try to find a low mileage E28, the first "sheep in wolves clothing."

Very few were made and I would imagine the attrition rate has taken care of a lot of them. 2241 were delivered between 84 and 87.

We had one a Davie meet a few months ago the asking was $15,000. I didn't think it was up to snuff.

Read about it in BMW M Power book from the experience in SC.

------------------
Jim
07/00 M5 Titanium over Red

[This message has been edited by Jim Dolan (edited 27 October 2000).]

1 - 10 of 10 Posts