BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys.
I have a 1991 BMW E34 but its only a 520i. My dad bought this car when I was 6 years old (20 years ago) and since the day I turned 18 he gave it to me (8 years ago). You can probably see why the car has sentimental value for me.
The only think that bothers me on the car is the huge lack of power. That's why I now have probably the most ambitious plan anyone ever had for a BMW E34.
I'm now trying to find an E39 M5 to be used as a donor car, from which I'll get the s62 V8 engine, gear box, the diff and complete rear axle and whatever else I'll need mechanically. I'll istall bilstein bss9 coilovers and shocks, update the brake system, strengthen the chassis and custom made interior trimming.
I would like to know if anyone ever done something similar to an E34 and I am looking forward for the views and comments of other M5 enthusiasts.
Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
There's a few, and some write up on the board. I Think you'll also need a V8 E34 donor car.
Not at all,,,,,,,,,

but EVERYTHING would be so much easier to work on,,

as uk_bm points out is that a 530 or 540 donorcar is almost a drop in,,

Sell this car and buy a 530,, they are cheap in De, and the swap would be a direct in

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sell this car and buy a 530,, they are cheap in De, and the swap would be a direct in[/QUOTE]

What part of the car will make it easier? the engine bay? and I need a right hand drive car.. That's another pain in the butt..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know that it will be easier but I don't like the idea of a turbo on my car. I want the car to be as discreet as possible. And the fact that i will have to work with at least 1,2-1,4 bar to get the horsepower I think its a big risk for damage on the motor.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
And the fact that i will have to work with at least 1,2-1,4 bar to get the horsepower I think its a big risk for damage on the motor.
Well if that happens, another M50 engine cost few hundred. S62 will damage without turbo and cost little bit more.

But good luck, there is lot of into how to put s62 into e30 so you might want read those.

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
Go for it

Be prepared to put a lot of effort into getting all the sensors and electricals to work properly

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
You use original or aftermarket ECU? How about EWS? E39 rear axle into e34, LOT of work. Just use e34 535/540/m5 axle and diff, straight bolt on.

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
You use original or aftermarket ECU? How about EWS? E39 rear axle into e34, LOT of work. Just use e34 535/540/m5 axle and diff, straight bolt on.
The E34 M60 route is a lot easier , probably a solid 1 to 2 month of weekends , S62 + E39 M5 component route , I would guess 6 to 12 months of weekends including troubleshooting.

Anyone else agree or disagree with these estimates ?

Depends on your budget and spare time , the S62 would be very cool , the 540 route is just another 540 , still a nice car.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

I'm planning on using the E39's ECU and EWS. I don't intent to do the work my self. A friend of mine is working for BMW 12 years now as a mechanic and this will be our project. He thinks that in 4-5 months the car will be ready to test.
Does the 535/540 E34 have an LSD?

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts