BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Long time no speak! The monster has been SORN'ed for a good while and treated only to a blast up the road and back on occasion to get the cobwebs off...

Rapid question as time matters.

I have been offered four E34 doors for £110 (green, cloth, from 1995 car) which are good to superb on three and slightly damaged on the fourth, but need to go get in the next 48hrs or the car gets cubed.

My original doors (BMW 'brilliant' red, leather, 1990) are quite corroded at the bottom edges, and by 'quite corroded' I mean 'pretty rusty'.

E34 door bottoms going rusty are a very common issue in the UK, I see it on most cars I walk past.

Would anyone who has tackled this issue please answer me;

1. Did you get the doors repaired or replaced?
2. If repaired, what was the ballpark cost for doing so?
3. If repaired, do you know how they did it? (make new metal bottoms, or is there such a thing as a door skin they graft in as new metal?)

Kind regards
Ivan

·
10,456 Posts
i had a little rust bubbling at the lower edge of a rear door on my touring, but i was able to grind it away and find good metal underneath. If your doors are that bad i'd just replace the doors with good used parts rather than trying to rebuild the door. I don't think the skins are available so it's all fabrication.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
IvanDias!!! Blast from the past. Glad you're still around.

If your doors are heavily corroded I would go for new/replacement items. The cost of re-skinning a door properly is more than that of good secondhand doors and if the corrosion has spread into the frames then your originals are toast anyway.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Hi, I'm currently in the process of restoring my M5 and decided to go for new front doors due to rust on the originals, in my experience any significant rust will always return. Although a set of doors for that price should not be sniffed at, you don't wanna end up with a garage full of unused e34 parts ( like me! ). Good luck.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I'd be getting the 4 doors as well. The other advantage is being able to fix them up without needing to take your car off the road. That way you take your time pulling the doors apart to paint them (the doors are actually surprisingly easy to strip down. Once they are all painted and ready you can do the electrics/door lock swap one door at a time which again keeps the car driveable!

I'm not sure about the rest of the world, but in Australia, after 1990 the doors have to have side intrusion bars - so if you look at any later E34 they have a massive bar welded inside the door from front to back. If that's the case in your part of the world, I guess that also means your "new" later doors will be "Safer" :)

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Definitely buy those doors. Just the trims that go at the bottom are way more than that, and if refurbing doors you would very likely need to replace those trims.

Put another way, if you dont want the doors can I have first refusal ?!

·
Registered
516 Posts
As others have said, buy the doors, they seem pretty cheap.

From my experience, trying to repair rust is always an expensive exercise that can end in heartache as it sometimes comes back if the rust is not dealt with properly.

Any bolt on panels I would always replace rather than try to repair.

Good luck.

·
Registered
15 Posts
New 2014 M5

I am new regarding this forum group and I have an important question to ask. I just purchased a New 2014 M5 and I noticed there is a rust color residue stain from the weep holes at bottom of doors. :1zhelp:

Should I be concerned even though there is a 11 year rust warranty on the part of BMW?

Would it be smart to have car rust proofed?:confused:

To my knowledge Dealer never had car parked out doors since their location is in the Chicago loop area where they have access to parking garages which is probably why there was 50 miles on car at time of purchased and they had car in possession for close to a one year.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Hi Rob. I suspect you searched and didn't narrow the terms to the F10 forum, and you ended up digging out this old E34 thread. You may therefore want to repost on the F10 forum, but on a car under warranty I'd be straight back to BMW......

·
Registered
15 Posts
Rust

Hi Matt.

I searched and could not find anything on Rust concerns for F10 so when I searched rust issues your post came up.

I thought I would reach out for help. One person has already replied regarding my concerns who has a New M5 as well.

Thank you for allowing me to use your post. Rob :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts