BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I have been slowly bringing my B10 Bi-turbo #223 out of hibernation and it has suddenly developed an issue with the dash cluster. The Rev counter has simply died and speedo is jumping around at idle and slowly moves around the clock jumping a bit as it goes. I recently had the complete rear beam and suspension out of the car for refurbishment and when reconnecting I noticed that the wires to the speed sensor on the rear diff were damaged and it broke away in my hand. I repaired the wiring and reconnected it and immediately tested it by driving the car (only a few hundred metres as car is not road legal at the moment) but it worked fine on that short drive. It was about 2 weeks later that the instrument cluster developed this issue.
Could it be related? Could I have mixed the two wires going to the speed sensor up, although i was very careful to make sure they were reconnected in the same way they were originally. I tried disconnecting the speed sensor but it made no difference, it still behaved exactly the same way with or without the speed sensor plugged in.
Alternatively could it be the capacitor issue I have read about? My instrument cluster has a blue backing cover on it so I believe it to be a Gen 3 cluster but when I try to perform the self test function by holding in the check control button and turning ignition on, it isn't doing that either. I cannot say for sure if it ever completed that test as I had not tried before.

All other functions seem to be working fine on the instrument cluster, temp, fuel, fuel consumption and all of the Alpina additional gauges are fine and pressing the check control on the indicator stalk also works fine and goes through the menu ok.
I have had the battery in and out of the car quite a bit and disconnect it when the car will not be started for a few days? could this be an issue?

Any suggestions as to what to try next greatly appreciated or anyone had this issue before?

·
Registered
708 Posts
Glad to hear of another BT making it's way back - mine is going through the same process at the moment and have seen most of what you describe at various times over my 19 years of ownership,
  • Instrument cluster connections - I removed all plugs, including the Coding Plug, made sure every pin was clean - put it all back together and dials worked fine
  • The left hand push button in the cluster developed a bad contact and I then was unable to perform the self-test function or use it to change the cluster language until it was repaired
  • I had the capacitors go - it threw up errors with the EML among other things so i mailed it off to Phil Crouch at CPC to repair - he did a fantastic job. CPC Performance Engineering Ltd - Home
Cheers,

Dave.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Dave,
I hope yours is coming along, did I read somewhere that you were getting sill repairs done? That is the next job I need to have done.
I hadn’t gotten as far as removing the instrument cluster so I will try that and see if it sorts the problem.
If not maybe I will be into getting a repair done with someone like Phil Crouch who by all accounts on here is definitely an authority on these cars.
Thanks again for your input👍
Leon

·
Registered
708 Posts
Takes 10 minutes to remove the cluster and is very easy if you remove the steering wheel (don't forget cover the end of the steering column with a towel so you don't scratch the plastic) so it's something to try yourself first.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts