BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bi turbo snapped two rockers yesterday on cylinder number 6. Both inlet and exhaust

I've had a price from my dealer for a headgasket at £417+VAT but no availability on it. The rockers are £46+VAT and again uncertain on supply.

My question is, couldn't i use say an MLS gasket from the likes of VAC motorsport in the USA? Also i know the rockers are an uprated alpina part, but again there are companys that supply upgraded rockers for M30 engines. Alot of people have turbo charged M30s over the years so there seems to be plenty of parts about to maybe suit my e34. I suspect the engine has been rebuilt in the past but there is no record of it in the history as it is way too clean internally for the milege covered i think, 198kms Oil pressure is very good when warm at about 1.6 1.7 bar on castrol TWS 10/60 oil

I've always kept the car standard spec when repairing it, but if i can fit better parts than it had new for cheaper than Alpina prices then i am listening!

A few people have stripped and rebuilt their bi turbos on here i've read. This car has caused me grief in 18months i've done the clutch( genuine alpina one), rebuilt both turbos (standard but with 360 degree thrust washers), EML fault on the instruments and now 2 snapped rockers. All in 11,000 Kms!

Sad times!

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
My bi turbo snapped two rockers yesterday on cylinder number 6. Both inlet and exhaust

I've had a price from my dealer for a headgasket at £417+VAT but no availability on it. The rockers are £46+VAT and again uncertain on supply.

My question is, couldn't i use say an MLS gasket from the likes of VAC motorsport in the USA? Also i know the rockers are an uprated alpina part, but again there are companys that supply upgraded rockers for M30 engines. Alot of people have turbo charged M30s over the years so there seems to be plenty of parts about to maybe suit my e34. I suspect the engine has been rebuilt in the past but there is no record of it in the history as it is way too clean internally for the milege covered i think, 198kms Oil pressure is very good when warm at about 1.6 1.7 bar on castrol TWS 10/60 oil

I've always kept the car standard spec when repairing it, but if i can fit better parts than it had new for cheaper than Alpina prices then i am listening!

A few people have stripped and rebuilt their bi turbos on here i've read. This car has caused me grief in 18months i've done the clutch( genuine alpina one), rebuilt both turbos (standard but with 360 degree thrust washers), EML fault on the instruments and now 2 snapped rockers. All in 11,000 Kms!

Sad times!
Hello Sir...

1) yes you can buy the MLS from VAC.. i did,,,,,,,,,,, but dont do it,, except you torque it down extremely careful,, step by step ,, and from left to right,, 1-14 and reverse after some time ibought also ARP studs

2) the rockers,,,,,,,,, buy these,,,,,, forged and IMO a lot better vs oemBMW ,,the price difference is minimal
Heavy Duty Rocker Arm for M10 and M30 at Ireland Engineering | Performance BMW Parts and more.

3),, Good luck......

4) oilpress at 1.6-1.7 is IMO very very high when running on 90° @ idle i think 0.8-0.9 is normal

·
Registered
288 Posts
Hi, that sounds unlucky but these cars are of an age and mileage where constant maintenance is required. Also, I think in my case the process of fixing small problems caused the larger ones! For example when i got the car the boost pipes were leaking and the turbo ECU feedback hose had split so the car never really boosted properly, once these were fixed the worn clutch became noticeable. Coincidentally both my rockers on cylinder 6 broke which caused me to carry out a rebuild.

I've found the oil pressure also to be 0.8-0.9 bar when hot and 0.6-0.8 bar if 10w-40 is used. I also used the rocker arms from Ireland Engineering, they are larger than the originals giving them greater resistance to breaking. With regards to the headgasket, I used a cooper ring gasket as recommended by PPF in Sweden.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,890 Posts

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
it actually states in the bi turbo manual from alpina if your oil pressure hot drops below 1 bar when hot you need to take the car to a dealer! Having good pressure when warm is a good sign of a strong tight engine. The oil temp normally is around 80-85 degrees it only gets hotter sitting in traffic or if you drive it really hard for a period of time.

My e36 with 222,000 miles on it is a bit tired now and could do with a bottom end refresh, gives 1.1-1.2 bar when warm on the same 10-60 oil. It was still running 0-30 when i bought it but was down to 0.8 when warm so i thought i'd help it a little with some thicker oil.

Ireland engineering are out of stock on rockers on website, i'll have to enquire. Mike is that cooper or a copper gasket? Does that involve O ringing or something?!

·
Registered
288 Posts
Hi, the headgasket I used is this one: Cooperring gasket M30 - Pure Performance Factory AB

I'm pretty sure their website said out of stock when I bought mine! Your best bet is to e-mail or phone him as he may get batches made when requested. My cousin lived in America at the time so I just asked her to get them and bring them back but she did have a bit of a wait.
The PPF website calls them cooperring gaskets although I don't think the rings are copper. The black material provides a good head/block seal and the inset rings cut into the head for combustion chamber strength.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
it actually states in the bi turbo manual from alpina if your oil pressure hot drops below 1 bar when hot you need to take the car to a dealer! Having good pressure when warm is a good sign of a strong tight engine. The oil temp normally is around 80-85 degrees it only gets hotter sitting in traffic or if you drive it really hard for a period of time.

My e36 with 222,000 miles on it is a bit tired now and could do with a bottom end refresh, gives 1.1-1.2 bar when warm on the same 10-60 oil. It was still running 0-30 when i bought it but was down to 0.8 when warm so i thought i'd help it a little with some thicker oil.

Ireland engineering are out of stock on rockers on website, i'll have to enquire. Mike is that cooper or a copper gasket? Does that involve O ringing or something?!

I can tell you this.. when i have changed oil .. my oilgauge shows 0.8-0.9 bar,, when hot
My car ,,or engine is very brutal on the oil.. i dont know why,, if it have something to do with the cylinderhead or whatever,, but after ..3000+ km on European autobahn course,,my oilpress shows 1.3 on idle,, i have changed oil occasionally when i am driving in EU ,, and it looks like the oil gets thicker,, why,, no clue,, the lubrication should be fine ,, i have been told by mechanics,, and they have no idea why the oil gets thicker
i always use 10-60.. i have changed from Castrol.. to Shell helix ULTRA-RACING,, to Valvoline racing,,, and back to CASTROL.. all the same
i will next time try Joe Gibbs 15-50 racing oil/hot rod,, or MOTUL 15/50

·
Registered
711 Posts
I know I'm late to this thread - you can tell I've not been on here for a long while....

For future reference and aside from the loose oil banjo bolt issue we know about, were any of you guys whose rockers have snapped regularly using high revs; or experienced and over rev (4th to 5th became 4th to 3rd for example)? I'm trying to look at a scientific reason as to why these should fail as they are not particularly stressed unless revved high and correctly oiled they should be fine. I guess I'm wondering whether the replacement of the rockers should be a mileage related service item.

My car idles at 1.8 Bar at 80 degrees on fresh Castrol 10/60.

Cheers,

Dave.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
1.8 bar, she must be as tight as a nuns chuff! As for why they break who knows?! normally its camshaft wear from worn rockers and the whole banjo bolt thing starving it all of oil but it wasn't in my case

·
Registered
711 Posts
The only reason the previous owner put it up for sale in 2000 was to recover the cost of a full engine rebuild including new head and turbos at Alpina. Think it was over £10k 15 years ago and I've had it ever since so I had a practically new engine when I got it and being anal about warming it up carefully and keeping the oil changed I think has helped it stay in good shape. I'm still very wary that the next big bill is only just around the corner hence trying to understand why these rockers fail and to do some preventative maintenance if required.

Phil has the clocks to repair the EML and will get the rest of the car next week for a full service. Then the bodyshop...

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
its a turbo failing that invariably leads to an engine rebuild. And the turbos don't last that long as they're working hard, 40k seems about right from what i've seen heard. These cars were on limit new and broke down then, they're a ticking timebombs now so rather than worry just enjoy it and fix it when it breaks and it will break if you use it! Someone told me once these are BMWs with Ferrari running costs

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
My car idles at 1.8 Bar at 80 degrees on fresh Castrol 10/60.

Cheers,

Dave.
1.8 bar, she must be as tight as a nuns chuff! As for why they break who knows?! normally its camshaft wear from worn rockers and the whole banjo bolt thing starving it all of oil but it wasn't in my case
OIL,, or boost ??

oil should be 0.8 bar at 90° ,, if you have 1.8 at 80°c i think something is not as it should be ??

·
Registered
711 Posts
My oil pressure is at 1.8 bar at idle on my Alpina and always has been. Boost is about 0.5 at idle.

When I first start the car the Oil Pressure at idle is 5.0 Bar and reduces to 1.8 when hot. While moving and under normal driving conditions when hot it's about 4.5 to 5 bar.

[My E30 M3 with fresh engine idles at 1.8 to 2.0 bar (SPA digital gauge) on 10/40)

Cheers,

Dave.

·
Registered
711 Posts
I once read that turbo's don't die, they are killed. I've done 130,000 kms on the turbos which came with the car - that includes 4 Nurburgring weekends and some big long distance European high speed cruising. I remember some guys on here went through turbos like I got through tyres but so far I've been lucky and still get 1.8 bar on the gauge when I want.

By keeping a lid on extreme turbo temperatures, using fresh oil and obeying a strict warm up and cool down routine I like to think I'm doing my bit to keep them going. I back off when my Oil Temp exceeds 115 degrees as the oil cooler can't cope if you press on at that point. Apart from that the only problems I've had in 15 years have been a shattered front strut locking cap, burst water hoses and an SLS pipe.

Cheers, Dave.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
I once read that turbo's don't die, they are killed. I've done 130,000 kms on the turbos which came with the car - that includes 4 Nurburgring weekends and some big long distance European high speed cruising. I remember some guys on here went through turbos like I got through tyres but so far I've been lucky and still get 1.8 bar on the gauge when I want.

By keeping a lid on extreme turbo temperatures, using fresh oil and obeying a strict warm up and cool down routine I like to think I'm doing my bit to keep them going. I back off when my Oil Temp exceeds 115 degrees as the oil cooler can't cope if you press on at that point. Apart from that the only problems I've had in 15 years have been a shattered front strut locking cap, burst water hoses and an SLS pipe.

Cheers, Dave.
I have never seen such a temp on my car... even if i drive quite fast
105 is the highest on full blast in my case

and then the pressure is 4.8

1 - 15 of 15 Posts