BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Moderator Emeritus
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To my friends,

Does anyone know the specific part for replacement of the Alpina shocks for the E34?

I know(I think) they are Bilstein shocks....
can they be purchased from stock from Bilstein, or is it necessary to purchase from Alpina?

Any help is appreciated!

-Alf

·
Premium Member
8,803 Posts
If I recall correctly they are standard Bilstein shocks valved to Alpina specs. The arrangement seems to be that Bilstein are not allowed to sell them, but must refer to Alpina.

·
Moderator Emeritus
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
kees said:
If I recall correctly they are standard Bilstein shocks valved to Alpina specs. The arrangement seems to be that Bilstein are not allowed to sell them, but must refer to Alpina.
I had a strong feeling about this....I wonder if this is definite though.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
only alpina part i changed mine a couple of years back, they are not available from any other source.

·
Registered
476 Posts

·
Registered
669 Posts
If they are available for a E34 and you want a much better suspension - go this route. They are coil overs and the Ride Height is adjustable as well as compression and rebound (10settings). I have the PSS9s on my 996 and they blow away the stock porsche suspension. I would assume price to still be less than Alpina spec bilsteins....I am seeing 2000 - 2400 price range over here for the PSS9s

·
Registered
714 Posts
Sherlock, these shocks are absolutely the cat's meow but I don't think they are available for the E34.

The suspension is the one thing I would be happy to change about my BiTurbo.

·
Registered
240 Posts
To my friends,

Does anyone know the specific part for replacement of the Alpina shocks for the E34?
-Alf
Hi Alf:

The fronts are made by Bilstein and specially valved as per Alpina specs, while the rears are made by Fichtel Sachs and are self leveling.

From what I'm told, the stock Bilsteins are very similar to the sport Bilsteins specified for a generic E34, Puppypilgrim posted the part numbers here http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/al...intanence-advice-b10-biturbo.html#post1209191

The rears are quite unique and if you want to maintain a factory, stock valving, you will have to go with the Alpina ones made by FS. Beware that these are very expensive, last time I checked they were 700 euros each.

I decided to buy the Alpina front dampers from Alpina, and I can confirm they are made by Bilstein. I have not installed them yet, but plan to soon. I will report on this at that time.

Sean

1 - 11 of 11 Posts