BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi... first time posting here,

I have BiTurbo #99 here in Japan and it sputtered on me last week,
All of a sudden it lost power while driving, was still idling but no response from the throttle pedal, and once turned off you can tell it fires up a bit but then dies immediately.
I had a faulty fuel pump a couple of years ago and had it replaced, so I was going to check the main relay and fuel pump relay first - but for the life of me I can't find them.
As seen below the E-box contains 4 ECU-like boxes with large connectors on top, (one with the boost gauge line to the manifold on top) and doesn't have the regular main relay and fuel pump relay like on a regular 535 or M5.
Could someone please, pleeeese tell me where the main relay and fuel pump relays are on a B10 Biturbo??
Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Hood Automotive design Automotive exterior

?

·
Registered
737 Posts
Could still be fuel related - have you checked the Fuel Pressure Regulator? Bosch 3.5 Bar I think. You could also loosen the jubilee clip on the fuel line by the intake manifold to confirm pressure it there (a bit of fuel will spray out but don't worry). Change the fuel filter too. Do you have the EML light on or any other warning light?

The other thing my BiTurbo did once was to throw off the silicone turbo pipe coupler to the throttle body - I took it off to clean the engine and put it on back to front. First sign of boost and it came off - the symptoms you describe are the same. The air going into the engine was not passing the MAF Sensor.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Could still be fuel related - have you checked the Fuel Pressure Regulator? Bosch 3.5 Bar I think. You could also loosen the jubilee clip on the fuel line by the intake manifold to confirm pressure it there (a bit of fuel will spray out but don't worry). Change the fuel filter too. Do you have the EML light on or any other warning light?

The other thing my BiTurbo did once was to throw off the silicone turbo pipe coupler to the throttle body - I took it off to clean the engine and put it on back to front. First sign of boost and it came off - the symptoms you describe are the same. The air going into the engine was not passing the MAF Sensor.

Fuel Regulator - Yeah that was what I was going to do next, was too busy this weekend to poke around but I just ordered it anyways, I was going to just go ahead and change it since it could go at any time at its age.The fuel filter was changed 2 years ago with the pump, and the shop I took it to then cleaned out a lot of rust from the tank at the time, so there is still a slight chance that it could have clogged again from more rust or something and messed up the pump. I'll short that fuel pump relay and see if its running but I figure If I pull off the regulator and there's no residual pressure then I can really suspect the pump/filter. [/QUOTE]

Hmm, good point on the turbo pipe... that happened to me on the highway once too.
I should definately check that and make sure I haven't torn any pipes or have a stuck blow off valve (aftermarket HKS) or something.
Though I remember the engine would still run when it did that, even while idling badly... right now you can hear it sputter a few times when you crank it and then it dies.
Thanks though I will check!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts