BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

301 - 320 of 329 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Well done schlumpf-nu, a testament to your years of hard work in the restoration and the perfect response to the original question posed by this thread nearly 14 years ago; 'E34 B10 4.6 Touring, does it exist?' :)

·
Registered
554 Posts
Gut gemacht Thomas :grin

·
Registered
332 Posts
After re-reading the thread again I realised I hadn't posted any pictures of my B10 4.6 Touring, #16, Artiksilber and ultramarin.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I'm the second owner of the car and I had a few bits to do to the car when I first got (but nowhere near as much as Thomas!) and since then I've just enjoyed adding the OEM options to it like the luggage net, front component speakers, front seat armrests, front seat lumbar support, rear door blinds, tailgate blind, boot 12v socket and other bits and pieces. I still have the rear component speakers to do as well as adding some rear seat heating.

It's done 150,000 miles now and drives as good as new.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Looking good :)

Which make of component speaker did you use, I want to replace the one's in my E36 and I'm finding it difficult to get any decent makes, where did you purchase them from too is I may ask pls ??

Cheers, Chris

·
Registered
332 Posts
Chris, I was fortunate enough to have a pair of 3-way Sony bookshelf speakers with components that fitted behind each of the three OEM front locations. I took the bookshelf speakers apart and put the components in the car.

I have since bought the OEM rear tweeter grills and cowls so when I find a component set to fit behind them and the OEM rear woofer location I will probably drop the headlining and install them; it means being brave and cutting into the headlining but I've had to do it before when I installed the luggage net clips/sockets.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Ah ok, thxvm for that, looks like I'll have to keep searching then

·
Registered
332 Posts
B10 4.6 Touring #3; arktiksilber, anthracite buffalo leather, double sunroof, sports seats, CD changer, ASC + EDC, 85k kilometre, EURO 74k.

https://suchen.mobile.de/fahrzeuge/details.html?id=250805920&damageUnrepaired=NO_DAMAGE_UNREPAIRED&isSearchRequest=true&makeModelVariant1.makeId=1100&makeModelVariant1.modelId=2&maxFirstRegistrationDate=1997-12-31&pageNumber=2&scopeId=C

Just a question for other owners with headlamp washers and larger washer resovoir like this car; do you not have the Alpina airbox?

·
Registered
669 Posts
4 sale......

Hello forum,

I will separate from my B10 4.6. You've all experienced the emergence of the swan here in the forum. With how much passion and energy, not to talk about money, the number 008 was brought back to life.
For those who are serious, who would like me to make an offer for this great car?
You can also use Whatsapp +49 170 7742577
One of the best B10 4.6 Touring with manual gearbox, one of five pieces, worldwide.
On the 50th anniversary of ALPINA this Alpina was awarded the third place for "Best Car of Show". which speaks for itself.
I would be delighted if my B10 4.6 Touring comes in good hands, who appreciates my work.

https://www.alpina-archive.com/?p=1790&nmt=B10-4-6-Touring-08

cheers Thomas

·
Registered
332 Posts
Wow! The restoration of your car bought this thread to life and the award from ALPINA themselves was very well deserved.

I never thought that you would part with it, especially after making it so perfect.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Sometime the time comes for everything....

cheers Thomas

·
Registered
58 Posts
I hate to see this thread die, therefore I like to continue telling you guys about some engine problems I have had with car no. 9 also including some engine performance modifications I am going to perform. It started a few years back when I removed the lower oil sump and found some oil sludge. I cleaned the sump, put it back and poured in new oil. Early last summer when it was time for another oil change I removed the lower sump once more and found a huge amount of oil sludge, about 15mm deep. I have always been using the Motul 300V 15W50 oil which is considered to be one of the best, at least it is very expensive. The oil change intervals according to the service indicator. I have talked to many people about the problem but I have not been given a proper explanation. Will go for another type of oil for the future. However I decided to take the complete oil sump out for cleaning. It was not that bad as in the lower part of the sump. Removing the valve cover I saw a lot of sludge in the cylinder heads so they had to come off for cleaning. After careful cleaning of all parts and the engine block being remained in the car I was glad I could not find any particular engine wear in spite of 200.000 km. The only thing that was questionable were the exhaust valve guides having some wear at the lower part. I decided to fabricate and install new exhaust valve guides and why not some porting job when I was at it. From the last photo you can see some of the special tools I had to fabricate in order to take the engine apart and put it together again. More to follow.
Åke

Attachments

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Cool.... but be aware of the head porting,,, it is DEAD EASY to destroy the flow,, and a lot more difficult to gain,,
the M6x heads are well known for extremely good flow,, so i would not at all do anything,, even,lets say you will get 15 hp you will NEVER be aware of the gain,, not at all in normal driving

headporting is IMO just for those who know what they are doing,, and these new gen of cylinder heads and 4v are so much better vs 2v as M10 M20 M30 and M70

·
Registered
58 Posts
Before pulling the heads I carefully measured the camshafts. The Alpina camshafts are made by Schleicher Fahrzeugteile in Munic one of my camshaft suppliers since many decades. I found the lobe centerline angle to be: Inlet left 106.125 degrees, right 106.75 degrees. Outlet left 108.75 degrees, right 107.75 degrees. According to BMW for the M60 engine the lobe centerline is 109 degrees inlet and 107 degrees outlet. I asked Alpina about the correct cam timing but as many times before I found them secretive. The only thing they said was I can use the BMW alignment tool for the inlet cams and their special tool for the outlet cams.
Someone has tested different cam timing settings and says 117 degrees (inlet) and 111 degrees (outlet) is the most favorable balance between torque and peak power. That would be interesting to test. Late closing inlet valves will certainly boost top end power.
Åke

Attachments

·
Registered
58 Posts
When the heads came off quite a lot of oil sludge was found everywhere calling for an extensive cleaning job. Many of the hydraulic lifters were stuck which explain the ticking sound being heard from the engine. Using pressurized air it was easy to get the plungers out for internal cleaning of the lifters. No particular wear except for minor wear on the exhaust valve guides could be found. I decided to fabricate and install new bronze exhaust guides. Alpina has installed a special intake single valve spring. The exhaust dual valve springs seems to be original from BMW. I cannot understand why Alpina changed the intake spring, the spring pressure seems to be unaltered. The single valve seated pressure is slightly lower 27 kp vs. 31 kp for the dual spring. The open pressure is slightly higher for the single spring 83 kp vs. 80 kp. Those differences except the seated pressure are within normal tolerances for a particular spring.
Åke

Attachments

·
Registered
58 Posts
Guys, I need your help here. Earlier on this forum I have posted photos (attached thumbnails) which shows beautifully. On the last post (#318) the photos (attached images) does not show, one has to click on the link to see a picture. What did I do wrong? How shall I do to make the photos appear?
Åke

·
2,487 Posts
Guys, I need your help here. Earlier on this forum I have posted photos (attached thumbnails) which shows beautifully. On the last post (#318) the photos (attached images) does not show, one has to click on the link to see a picture. What did I do wrong? How shall I do to make the photos appear?
Åke
It is an issue with the forum software when it migrated to cloud based storage . . . the only way to get content to display in-line verus clicking on a link is to use a host like imgur.

You might be able to grab the full hyperlink from your attachments and then edit your post using the forum "insert image" tool for the images to display in your post. Annoying, yeah, software here is old.

Example from post 318, attachment img 1217

link from attachment (removed http)

//www.m5board.com/vbulletin/attachments/alpinaboard-com-bmw-alpina-discussion/877208d1532680134-e34-b10-4-6-touring-does-exist-img_1217.jpg

put full link in image tags/tool

Looks like there might be a resizing issue . . . ugh

301 - 320 of 329 Posts