BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Happily driving home just about to get off themain roundabout near my house and I get this Alpina Z4 B3S thing overtake me.

These things are quoted at 305bhp!

Behind it chasing it was a Mk2 Golf.

As soon as the road straightened up I decided to join in with the Mk2 Golf chasing the Alpina.

2nd gear the golf was neck and neck and the Alpina wasnt going anywhere.

3rd gear - The Golf was the slightly faster car and the Alpina gained no ground.

I was expecting to be blown away by the lighter Alpina but what the hell did that Mk2 have under the bonnet! They are very light so even 200bhp in those makes it a rapid car.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
cool story.

How did you fare - what speeds were you guys going? did the golf overtake the Z4?

did the golf have two exhausts one on either side?

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Speed was from 30mph in 2nd gear upto 80 mph in 3rd after which I couldnt be bothered and didnt want to lose my license.

The Golf only marginally gained a few inches, it was very very slowly edging forward but then stopped and it was even. So in reality about the same.

I didnt hang around long enough to see if the Gold gained any further ground on the Z4.

The golf had big double exhausts at the back......it was very quiet in its power delivery aswell making me think its a turbo.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Cyrus said:
Speed was from 30mph in 2nd gear upto 80 mph in 3rd after which I couldnt be bothered and didnt want to lose my license.

The Golf only marginally gained a few inches, it was very very slowly edging forward but then stopped and it was even. So in reality about the same.

I didnt hang around long enough to see if the Gold gained any further ground on the Z4.

The golf had big double exhausts at the back......it was very quiet in its power delivery aswell making me think its a turbo.
-----------

yep sounds like a R32 golf, or a G60 - the one with the supercharged engine they used in the VW Corrado I think.

Yep - I am allways amazed by how much traffic there is in England - not necessarily London, but even Huddersfield where I am from, has grown since I have been away, so many cars - make it difficult to safely put ones foot down. Thats the good thing about Sweden, you can drive for ages and just see a handful of cars.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It was a Mk2 golf with one an engine conversion of some sort. Ive had mk2 16v golfs and they are not fast cars compared to the M5.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Cyrus, I know there's a guy with a MK2 with 300 ish bhp in Motherwell (just outside glasgow) Power comes from a tuned 1.8 20v turbo engine, I understand that this is a popular mod used in MK2's. Could have been something similar in front of you.

Phil.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.