BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Just been looking at the prices of E30 M3s and it seems that the E36s have fallen into the same price band now - even the Evos have dropped somthing wicked in the last year or so - how do they compare? Never owned either and I am wanting to build a weapon over this winter for next year......any good resources?

Cheers
Paul

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
For track use it has to be the E30 M3. On the straights the E36's will be abit faster but round the bends the e36's have no chance against the excellent balance of the E30.

The E36's are very hard to tune and get more power out of whereas the E30 engine is highly tuneable.

If you start with a good E30 ike the Evo2 which has 215bhp to start, add a set of cams and a remap your looking at aorund 240bhp. Thats only 45bhp less than the much heavier 3.0 M3.

Go a bit further and add exhaust and then get rid of the AFM using Alpha N and your looking at around the 255bhp mark.

These arent figures Im making up, these are from real 2.3 litre cars.

An E30 M3 with 240+ bhp is a real weapon and will be in the same league of accelerataion as an E36 car.........I know, Ive been in one!

Oh and the noise is proper race car stuff aswell.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
You might want to check out another forum which is biased towards BMW track weapons....

www.bmwtrackdays.com.forum

Speak to Antz (2 x e30 M3) or Harty(very quick e36 328)

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Cyrus said:
For track use it has to be the E30 M3. On the straights the E36's will be abit faster but round the bends the e36's have no chance against the excellent balance of the E30.

The E36's are very hard to tune and get more power out of whereas the E30 engine is highly tuneable.

If you start with a good E30 ike the Evo2 which has 215bhp to start, add a set of cams and a remap your looking at aorund 240bhp. Thats only 45bhp less than the much heavier 3.0 M3.

Go a bit further and add exhaust and then get rid of the AFM using Alpha N and your looking at around the 255bhp mark.

These arent figures Im making up, these are from real 2.3 litre cars.

An E30 M3 with 240+ bhp is a real weapon and will be in the same league of accelerataion as an E36 car.........I know, Ive been in one!

Oh and the noise is proper race car stuff aswell.
Yes I agree (As you know Paul ...nice to meet you) When the car was current and still racing the 2.3 could produce 322 while the 2.5 produced 330 at lower revs. Not that I am suggesting you get a race car ...although.

I echo to comments above and the key thing to remember is that the E30 is a beautifully balanced car with fantastic steering. Also if you keep the original engine it is lighter than the six cylinder transplant and cheaper to tune!

As I said to Paul I want another one as a track day car and also fast road car as I cannot afford a Porsche GT3 or a RS or a number of other cars on my wish/hit list.

Simon

1 - 4 of 4 Posts