BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7,660 Posts
What were the classic rust areas like i.e. jacking points , sills , arches , boot area etc ?

How many miles is she showing and has the timing chain ever been renewed ?

Does she have good service history ?

How many previous owners and how long has the current owner had the car ?

Why is he selling ?

How badly do you need 5k ?

Can you afford to miss the chance of obtaining one of only 96 South African E28 M5s ever built ?

D

·
Moderator Emeritus
4,273 Posts
That car looks fantastic:cheers:
If it was not for the fact that I have a E34 that has been the best car I have ever owned,
and such a great daily driver in all conditions, I think I would search out an E28 //M5.

They are the ultimate "Q" car;)

Farrell

·
Registered
471 Posts
Interesting colour combination - looks like Petrol green (Special Paint). And Nutria leather...or even Buffalo hide?

Looks good - do cars actually rust in South Africa?

Regards

Mfiver

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
do cars actually rust in South Africa?

Regards

Mfiver
We are fortunate that roads never ice up, so we dont get salt put down to neutralise the slippery surface. That must be truly horrendeous from a corrosion point of view - same as riding on a wet beach (like you sometimes see in advertisements etc):eek:oohhh:

SA is generally a dry country, so rain and humidity is relatively low, except for the East Coast (where I am). Here the warm Benguela current raises temperatures and humidity, plus the rough seas generate a sea spray mist that is very corrosive to metals.

You must garage your car, and ideally live a couple of 100m away from the shore, otherwise your vehicle will disappear right in front of you.

I wash my cars and bikes often and they are garaged. In fact, my road bike, a ZX-14 gets washed after each ride. This makes a big difference to minimising the amount of corrosion you get on bolts and other exposed metal surfaces.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Interesting colour combination - looks like Petrol green (Special Paint). And Nutria leather...or even Buffalo hide?

Looks good - do cars actually rust in South Africa?

Regards

Mfiver
The leather looks black/anthracite to me. Plus it's full leather. Was that standard in SA cars?

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The leather looks black/anthracite to me. Plus it's full leather. Was that standard in SA cars?
In SA, full leather is pretty much the standard for any luxury or upper end model.

By way of comparison, I have a 2007 Ford Ranger Double Cab pick up, even that comes standard with full leather.

Bacause of our good preservative climate - particularly inland, many classic and collectable cars get bought up and exported. Our week currency makes them very affordable for offshore buyers with pounds and dollars. Not good for our pool of exotics - you win some , loose somehmmm

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'll keep a lookout for exotics for you guys to purchase

·
Registered
92 Posts
Check out the new Bimmer Magazine for an article regarding the e23 745i. Didnt buy the issue so I dont know how in depth it is. I also posted an article a while ago regarding the SA 333i which also discussed the 745i a bit. Im sure if you search under my USER name it wont be too hard to find.

·
Registered
121 Posts
As Raymond said: E23 of course! Some years ago I had an E23 745i Turbo, but I think a SA E23 would better fit my current collection of M88-based engines. :biggrinbounce:

Bayerisch, I think RHD is the only option for the M88 745i. I've looked at the two mentioned for sale in the M-Registry. They've been listed for sale for quite a while, so I'm not sure they're even still available. I'm also more interested in getting one directly from SA. I guess the optimist in me still hopes to get the 745i manual 'box car that had one finicky owner since it was new, still has all of the books and service records, and is selling cheap so he can pay for a spot at the nursing home. :)

In any case, now is not the time for me financially, though a year down the road should be better once my career change has settled. My dream garage has the two I already own, plus a SA e23 745i and an e30 M3 cabrio. If I thought I could justify a six-figure car, I'd also have an M1 to complete the M88 theme.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That car looks gorgeous, love the colour. If the car is as good as it looks £5000 is an absolute steal. Has it been purchased by your friend yet?

regards,

Bayerische
Damn fool decided not to buy itzzzzz

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Now's your chance as I would imagine the SA cars do not come up for sale too often.
I'm still taking big flak from the wife for buying our "3rd car" the E34 M5.
She wants a damn Mini Cooper and is nagging the hell out of me for oneouich

I've fobbed her off for now, telling her the 2.5 year old twins wont fit in the back with their car seats:15:, but I can see what the next 4 wheel purchase will have to be:cool2:

I suppose divorce is always an optioncherrsagai

1 - 20 of 22 Posts