BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
MY E28 ALPINA B9 3.5 IS FOR SALE

hi guys...my car is on ebay and i have had a lot of questions regarding my reserve and the cars value.
i am happy to discuss my thoughts with any seriously interested parties via this forum.

cheers
dave

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: MY E28 ALPINA B9 3.5 IS FOR SALE

hi paul and thanks for your continued interest.
the problem is that good genuine rhd b9's very rarely come up for sale. therefore it is nigh on impossible to say what exact value the car has...i guess it would be " as much as anyone is prepared to pay".
this is why i have put it on ebay...to see where it goes! however, perhaps i should have started it higher as at the moment i have been inundated with enquiries that seem to assume it will sell for m535i money. needless to say ... "it wont!"
in arriving at how much i want for the car i have taken a number of things into consideration...these things being... that it is unlikely that more than half of the 64 uk cars still exist, and not many of them will be as good as mine. you never see them for sale, and the amount of money i have spent on the car as well as the amount of money other b9 owners are prepared to invest in theirs.
i welcome the input of other classic alpina owners on this subject.

cheers
dave

·
Registered
146 Posts

I would put the car in circa 4.5k but possibly higher. I would however get a genuine alpina rear badge (the one on it looks out of place and tacky) and i would further put the BMW rondals back onto it....i hate these alpina badges cos if alpina intended them to be on the car they would have been from new...its a BMW ALPINA and i think the spoil the car, just stick the original BMW rondals back on cherrsagai

Just my opinon, no offence intended Jimmy just constructive comments to help sell the beast

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

thanks for your comments...the car will not be selling at 4.5k!!! if i remember correctly it was you nazor who stated in another thread that you thought that a b9 was just a cosmetic conversion. with that being the case i dont think you are qualified to value my car. no offence intended, but i would have no idea when considering the value of a c2 which is what i believe you own. regarding the badging...i have done it like that because i like it...if someone bought the car it would cost them about £30 to change the badges if they wanted to. the expensive ones ( the b9 front and back ) are right so its not a big deal with the others.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts

oh yes this telford man has got some lyrics, you tell them son :cheers:

·
Registered
146 Posts

get real i made an honest mistake, if u look further down that thread i corrected myself. i dont know too much about e28 alpina but i do have some knowledge about these and other models so in my opinion i am qualified. what do you think you will get? :byee55amg

·
Administrator
8,801 Posts

A quick summary - your B9 3.5 has:
* relatively low mileage
* good cosmetics judging by the pictures provided
* incomplete history
* relatively few options (no leather, aircon)
* non-original condition (e.g. front and rear badging, lettering on front spoiler)
* various faults (e.g. board computer, cruise control, sunroof)

On the credit side, your B9 3.5 certainly would seem to be one of the nicer examples still remaining. On the debit side, the B9 3.5 is not significantly different from the standard BMW models and it's by far the most common UK Alpina model. Also, E28 M5 market - which should give some insight to the current B9 market - doesn't seem very bouyant.

David - what do you value the car at yourself?

·
Registered
146 Posts

Thank you Kees, you have picked up on some my points exactly, furthermore you have made valid comments in your summary.

So dave is Kees not worthy of his input here as "an expert"?

Cheers

·
Registered
146 Posts

ok following on ive been on Autoscout for comparsion just now

B7 turbo 1987 £9315
B7 turbo 1988 with 78 thousand miles on clock £12400

B9 3.5 with 98 thousand miles £5175

·
Administrator
8,801 Posts

nazor said:
So dave is Kees not worthy of his input here as "an expert"?
I'd prefer not to get dragged into taking sides. As I see it we're all Alpina enthousiasts and therefore all on the same side.

If either of you wants to get into personal attacks or senseless right/wrong discussions take it off this messageboard.

·
Registered
146 Posts

Ok kees no more comments/opinions, as you say we are all on the same side here for Alpina, and i have no problem with Dave, i was just trying to offer my help :cheers:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

some valid points made by kees and nazor...in answer to those points:-
again...the badging referred to is not an issue because it would cost nothing to replace/change. neither are the few parts that need changing.
for a uk b9 my car is full spec as it includes seats and long distance fuel tank. a leather interior would not be appropriate on a uk car as the scheel seats are more desirable and aircon is not an issue in the uk.
nazor refers to a b9 that is for sale...is that a lhd or rhd car? is it a uk car?
i disagree that you can compare it with the m5 market because if someone wants one where else are they going to find one? there are m5 e28's for sale quite regularly, and i also disagree that it is one of the more common uk alpinas....only 64 produced and how many of them remain...not many...certainly less than half, so where else is anyone going to get a decent one? a black uk car with 150,000 miles sold for 6k last year and that is the only useable one i have seen for sale ever.
in the e28 section thread MFIVER has made the most relevant point and that is the b9 is equal to the m5 in desirability, but far rarer and worth what anyone is prepared to pay for it.
i started this thread because i thought i would try and get some help from like minded people. i never thought my cars badges would provoke so much interest! the fact remains that it is a good, full spec uk car in excellent condition and there are not many of them. i am confused as to what i will let it go for, but it certainly will not be in the 5 grand bracket.
again...thank you for your points, but i dont think that any of us, myself included are any the wiser yet!

dave

·
Registered
146 Posts

dave its a LHD B9 fully optioned and original one in germany.

No-one is disputing the car is not good, the points made are in respect of originality thats all.FSH is amust with any alpina. If you sell for more than £5k then fair play, like you say if someone has been looking for one, they will pay the monies you want. i guess the badging is not to everones taste but each to their own.

Good luck with sale, ill be monitering this for interest. Im sure D4 will have some input here as he is restoring a B9 as we speak.

Thanks

Naz :cool:

·
Administrator
8,801 Posts

ALPINA B9-06 said:
in the e28 section thread MFIVER has made the most relevant point and that is the b9 is equal to the m5 in desirability, but far rarer and worth what anyone is prepared to pay for it.
Although this might be true, that's only the case if you have the time to wait for the right buyer. Additionally, like it or not but the value of the car is linked to the value of similiar types of cars...if someone can buy an E28 M5 or B7 or B10 in similiar condition for less money then it will impact the resale value of your B9.

If you do want to sell the car in the short-term (it doesn't really sound like you do), you simply must pick a price that is acceptable for you and stick to that. If you wait for offers you will never sell, because you don't know what constitutes a winning offer to you.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

thank you for your continued interest. just a couple of further points from your last posts:
nazor...regarding the lhd german car at approx 5k...i would make the point that in the uk marketplace no lhd car has the same value as a rhd one. this goes for any model, right from a ford to a porsche. this is why all the british soldiers serving in germany buy cars there...they are cheaper. to demonstrate this look at the difference between the price of a rhd b3 against a lhd one or even an m5. ok, you could argue that the german car was built in the alpina factory and the british one at sytners...but it is the same parts on the cars that are built in the same german factories and all cars are put together following a similar formula, just by british mechanics as opposed to german ones. when i bought my b3 it was valued at a good 2.5k more than the german lhd equivalent and that is simply because lhd cars are more expensive to insure and less desirable in the uk. i do submit that a lot of german cars have come over here, but thats because they are cheaper! just another small add on...there were 64 uk cars built and approx 500 in germany, so the b9 is more common over there and therefore costs less. that is why i believe my car is worth more.
kees...you are correct in your comments regarding my reluctance to sell. why should someone enjoy the benefits of my hard work and pay peanuts for it. i made the mistake of listing the car with a low start price and consequently have had to endure emails asking me if the car has the glovebox torch etc! i am going to let the auction run just as good advertising but dont expect the car to reach my reserve...if it does...great! but if not, i will possibly try once more starting at a different level and if still not, i will keep it. the only reason the car is anywhere near the marketplace is because i have financial problems that i dont want to discuss here, but my jag is also for sale and selling that would solve my problems. i am having to try and keep everyone happy including the wife( if you know what i mean) but will only sell my pride and joy for good money.

·
Registered
456 Posts

Dave,
All your points are valid to you I am sure. However nazor & kees are being very realistic, I think we'd all like are cars to be worth a lot. Fact is they are lways worth a lot less when you come to sell them!
Hope you do get £6k for it, but I doubt it ... this is a buyers market! For that sort of monet you can get a B6 3.5 restore it and run it for a few years or a B10 or even a few E28 M5's in case one breaks down.
Your car, which I think is very nice by the way (although I'd put back the right badges :rolleyes: ) is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it!
As you say, you are not desperate, so if it doesn't sell at least you'll be having fun! :M5launch:

Good luck in the sale

·
Registered
81 Posts

Dave,

Best you sell that Jag, must be easier to put a value on and find suitable buyer.

Then you can keep the B9 just how you want it...

In the market, the B9 is worth only what another person will pay you for it; E-bay tends to be a brutal way of finding this out so hope you don't get too disappointed.

Paul

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

pauledwick said:
Dave,

Best you sell that Jag, must be easier to put a value on and find suitable buyer.

Then you can keep the B9 just how you want it...

In the market, the B9 is worth only what another person will pay you for it; E-bay tends to be a brutal way of finding this out so hope you don't get too disappointed.

Paul
thanks for your support paul...i am en experienced ebayer and have sold cars via ebay in the past...what i have found with ebay is that quite often things do not meet reserve but someone will contact you during or after the auction and a deal can be struck, so i never judge anything by what happens in an auction...it can be just who is looking at the time. we just sold my wifes honda and never even got one bid only to be contacted after the auction and a deal was struck.
i hope the jag sells and then all of this is just speculation anyway.

thanks again paul
dave

·
Registered
1,511 Posts

dave you are not going to get that much for that for your car its in okay condition and if you get offered 3k for that jump on it. the ones you see on autoscout are much better spec than yours and as for the british alpinas they didnt really make that many and they were not very good at it hence why all alpinas are made in germany now and have been for a long long time. your car is not really that much different from the m535i. as for the left hookers they drive much better than the ones sent for the uk, it aint just about the difference in buying we all know they are cheaper in germany than here but if you go to the right places you wont pay any more for lhd car in uk for insurance. eg my bi-turbo costs £400 for the year fully comp with agreed value and im in battersea london very high risk area. cherrsagai

1 - 20 of 33 Posts