BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I can't find a better place to post about the E24 M6, I'll post it here. Last saterday, I went to Germany, and bought http://www.mobile.de/SIDTKSDI7sCeSqBtVODqCMc6w-t-vaNexlCsAsCsK%F3P%F3R~BmSB11LsearchPublicJ1129528454A1LsearchPublicD1100CCarX-t-vctpLtt~BmPA1A1B20B16%81O-t-vCaMkMoSeSmVb_X_Y_x_yposO~BSRA6D1100D3500C635CPKWC635HinPublicA2A0A0A0C184A0/cgi-bin/da.pl?bereich=pkw&top=4&id=11111111173943224&& this E24 M6. The owner hasn't taken it offline yet, so you can still wath the pictures.

I'll be picking her up in 4 weeks, after I made a carport to store it.

This is my all time favorite BMW classic! The state of the car is even better than on the pictures, except for the interior, that looks a little used. I'm planning on changing the interior anyway, so that's not really a problem.

I did a test drive with the car, and I noticed that I had to push the brakes really hard to get the car stopped. Would this be a problem with the brakes, or is this just how these old cars brake? I have an '88 VW Golf, and it seems to brake easier...

Ow, I'm so excited I finally bought my old dream car :wroom:

·
2,520 Posts
The brakes should be fairly stiff. They are in both of my E28 M5s and the E28 M5 shares the exact same components as the E24 M6 so there is not a difference there. The issue to watch out for is the hydraulic accumulator, aka "the brake bomb" which can blow a seal internally and make braking very difficult. The ABS light will light and you will know it from braking feel when this happens.

As long as it brakes well but has a hard pedal feel, there is no issue.

·
2,520 Posts
Oh yeah, I forgot to say, that is a beautiful car. Royalblau? I would get different wheels...they are ok, but the M6 deserves some BBS or something similar...just my thoughts on that.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I believe it is Arktic blue... But the car has been repainted. Possible that this color is Royal blue...
Anyway, I'll repaint it in Le Mans blue. I know it's not an original M6 color, but I do like this color a lot.
About the wheels, I'll buy some 3-piece ACSchnitzer 17" wheels.

Actually, I'm planning on doing quite some mods on the car, and it's not gonna be complete original. Maybe most of you will think this is a shame, but I'll mod it, with respect for the original car. Plans are:
Exterior: all chrome will be replaced with black parts (OEM, still available, called dealer), car will be lowered, and gets wide wheels. Repaint in Le Mans blue (also fix any tiny bump or scratch, I want it to be perfect).
Interior: E36 M3 seats, and EVERYTHING (so including dashboard, roof, ...) in bicolor leather, very light grey, combined with mouse grey.
And maybe some ICE in the trunc, not sure yet...

I will make sure that the car will keep it's class.

·
2,520 Posts
Frits said:
I believe it is Arktic blue... But the car has been repainted. Possible that this color is Royal blue...
Anyway, I'll repaint it in Le Mans blue. I know it's not an original M6 color, but I do like this color a lot.
About the wheels, I'll buy some 3-piece ACSchnitzer 17" wheels.

Actually, I'm planning on doing quite some mods on the car, and it's not gonna be complete original. Maybe most of you will think this is a shame, but I'll mod it, with respect for the original car. Plans are:
Exterior: all chrome will be replaced with black parts (OEM, still available, called dealer), car will be lowered, and gets wide wheels. Repaint in Le Mans blue (also fix any tiny bump or scratch, I want it to be perfect).
Interior: E36 M3 seats, and EVERYTHING (so including dashboard, roof, ...) in bicolor leather, very light grey, combined with mouse grey.
And maybe some ICE in the trunc, not sure yet...

I will make sure that the car will keep it's class.
I like the removal of the chrome and going with the shadowline trim. Very stealth and always looks great.

Some deeeep lip AC Schnizters would look sweet.

Le Mans blue...are you going to go with a clear coat on that? I think it would look sweet without a clear coat (but of course a clear coat is a good thing to have).

Interesting idea on the interior. Bicolor M3 seats...not bad. The seats in the M6 were mildly lack luster...they should have put in the E28 M5 recaros into the M6.

Lets see some more pics when the mods start! :cool:

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, it's gonna be a very long-term project... The car is 21 years old now, and it'll be a lot cheaper to drive as soon as it's 25 years old. Since I'm paying tax and insurance for an E39 M5, an E36 M3, a VW Golf GTI and a Toyota Rav4, I'm willing to wait until the M6 is old enough.

What is exactly a 'clear coat'? My car-related English is getting better since I'm on the board, but I don't know this one yet...

·
2,520 Posts
The clear coat is the last step in the modern spraying process. It is the laquer which is just a clear coating to protect the paint from the elements, whether it be enviromental or from scratches...you can buff out scratches with a clear coat.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ow, yeah, I think I'll go for 3 or 4 layers of this clear coating. That way the car will shine like a Ferrari :D I also think it suits the Le Mans blue color...

You happen to have some experience with parking a car for several years? I mean, I won't be driving the car for a while, and I don't want it to be full of rust when I'm finally ready to get it repainted, or have the tires unusable, or something like that.

I was planning to decouple the battery, cover the car with a special cover for cars, and at least once a month, remount the battery, let the engine run warm, attach plates from one of my other cars, and do a small drive in the neighborhood, and then park it again, decouple battery, and cover it.
Any other good ideas on this topic?

Just confirmed my order on a set of used M3 seats by the way :cheers:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Frits said:
Since I can't find a better place to post about the E24 M6, I'll post it here. Last saterday, I went to Germany, and bought http://www.mobile.de/SIDTKSDI7sCeSqBtVODqCMc6w-t-vaNexlCsAsCsK%F3P%F3R~BmSB11LsearchPublicJ1129528454A1LsearchPublicD1100CCarX-t-vctpLtt~BmPA1A1B20B16%81O-t-vCaMkMoSeSmVb_X_Y_x_yposO~BSRA6D1100D3500C635CPKWC635HinPublicA2A0A0A0C184A0/cgi-bin/da.pl?bereich=pkw&top=4&id=11111111173943224&& this E24 M6. The owner hasn't taken it offline yet, so you can still wath the pictures.

I'll be picking her up in 4 weeks, after I made a carport to store it.

This is my all time favorite BMW classic! The state of the car is even better than on the pictures, except for the interior, that looks a little used. I'm planning on changing the interior anyway, so that's not really a problem.

I did a test drive with the car, and I noticed that I had to push the brakes really hard to get the car stopped. Would this be a problem with the brakes, or is this just how these old cars brake? I have an '88 VW Golf, and it seems to brake easier...

Ow, I'm so excited I finally bought my old dream car :wroom:
Beautiful car - enjoy. :cheers: Be sure and update the board with your progress.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
de Witt said:
I like the removal of the chrome and going with the shadowline trim. Very stealth and always looks great.

Some deeeep lip AC Schnizters would look sweet.

Le Mans blue...are you going to go with a clear coat on that? I think it would look sweet without a clear coat (but of course a clear coat is a good thing to have).

Interesting idea on the interior. Bicolor M3 seats...not bad. The seats in the M6 were mildly lack luster...they should have put in the E28 M5 recaros into the M6.

Lets see some more pics when the mods start! :cool:
Hi!
I believe Lemans blue is a metallic colour, that means it always has clear coat or am I wrong?

Frits: congratulations for your car, the M6 is one of my favourites too.
I know it`s your car but I`ll say it anyway...
The M6 is a rare car, soon to be collectable. Be sure that the mods you do are easy to convert to original if you later wish to do that. That makes the car easier to sell also, as Old classics with heavy modifications tend be a bit tough to sell.
LeMans blue is a fantastic colour, though modern colours can make older cars look a bit "pimped" i`ve seen an E24 in similar blue and while nice, It was a bit too bright for the old car. The E24 has always looked best in discreet colours (only my opinion)

One more time, congratulations! PICS! PICS! PICS!

:cheers:
Sakke

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I thought about the 'convertable' modifications. I think the only modifications that I won't be able to convert, is the widening of the wheel arches, for the wide rims.
As for the color, it'll probably be LeMans blue. I guess it should go nice in combination with the shadowline.

The car being hard to sell is not really a concern, since I'm not planning on selling it at all. My two other cars are also hard to sell. 325 with M3 engine isn't even legal where I live... But I do understand your comments, and I thought about it often.

There'll be plenty of pics as soon as the car is in Belgium.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Got the car Saterday morning. Didn't have time to post pics till now, I was constantly driving :wroom:

As for the modifications, plans have slightly changed... I'll probably keep the seats, since I'm starting to like 'em. They'll be restaurated, and will look brand new.
I'm going to keep the color too. I'll have it completely repainted, just because I like perfection, but I'll stick with this color. The rest of the plans remains unchanged.

Btw, the ride home was amazing. Drove 250 km home without any problem. On the highway, I even did a little test, and 200 km/h in 4th gear was no problem at all. It could go a little faster in 4th, but I didn't want to hurt the car.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
Frits said:
Got the car Saterday morning. Didn't have time to post pics till now, I was constantly driving :wroom:

As for the modifications, plans have slightly changed... I'll probably keep the seats, since I'm starting to like 'em. They'll be restaurated, and will look brand new.
I'm going to keep the color too. I'll have it completely repainted, just because I like perfection, but I'll stick with this color. The rest of the plans remains unchanged.

Btw, the ride home was amazing. Drove 250 km home without any problem. On the highway, I even did a little test, and 200 km/h in 4th gear was no problem at all. It could go a little faster in 4th, but I didn't want to hurt the car.
That car is way too beautiful to pimp like you've described in your earlier posts. Just fit a set of 16" e28 M5 wheels and you have a very rare unmolested M635CSi..... Most look like crap!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Frits:
AS far as the brakes is concerned, just go the easy way to solve your braking problems. As someone replied before me: the system is exactly the same as the E28 ///M5, and that is a problem. In order to solve the inherent problems of the E24 and E28 ///Ms, just replace the 25mm master cylinder with the 27mmm, hubs and disks with those from a 1994 E34. It´s all strictly a bolt-on job. The master cylinder will provide you with a different front/rear bias (66/34 against 72/28), but one that will greatly improve braking and avoid warping the front rotors, plus the fact that parts are more easily available and cheaper all the way. If you want to go better than that, replace them with the whole assembly from a 750i or an 850i. Parts are easily available and very inexpensive.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Hi!
Very beautiful car!!!! Good choice to keep the colour as this suits the car perfectly. It seems that you have secured yourself a fine example in very good condition!

cherrsagai
Sakke

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
@keeperomega: great idea on the brakes! I'll make some phonecalls on Thursday to see what I can get.

The car is indeed in very good condition, but not perfect. For example, the front bumper is scratched on the driver's side, the driver's side mirror is damaged (will be replaced), the trunc has some scratches, the exhaust makes a weird sound between 3000 and 4000 rpm... I will try my best to get it back in perfect condition.

@Stevie: I don't think I'll be pimping the car too much? I'll make it a shadowline, which is original E24, so no pimping, I'll drop it a few inches, and put on some wide rims. That might be considered pimping, but it's easily removed. And for the interior, I'll only make it more classy than it is right now...
Check the picture below to see what it might look like when it's done, except for the color...

Attachments

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
Frits said:
@Stevie: I don't think I'll be pimping the car too much? I'll make it a shadowline, which is original E24, so no pimping, I'll drop it a few inches, and put on some wide rims. That might be considered pimping, but it's easily removed. And for the interior, I'll only make it more classy than it is right now...
Check the picture below to see what it might look like when it's done, except for the color...
It's your car! Let's say opinions differ. IMHO your car is beautiful, the picture in your last post horrid. Just my $0.02

·
Registered
63 Posts
The brake calipers and rotors change the bias, not the master cylinder.

Keeperomega said:
Frits:
AS far as the brakes is concerned, just go the easy way to solve your braking problems. As someone replied before me: the system is exactly the same as the E28 ///M5, and that is a problem. In order to solve the inherent problems of the E24 and E28 ///Ms, just replace the 25mm master cylinder with the 27mmm, hubs and disks with those from a 1994 E34. It´s all strictly a bolt-on job. The master cylinder will provide you with a different front/rear bias (66/34 against 72/28), but one that will greatly improve braking and avoid warping the front rotors, plus the fact that parts are more easily available and cheaper all the way. If you want to go better than that, replace them with the whole assembly from a 750i or an 850i. Parts are easily available and very inexpensive.

1 - 20 of 104 Posts