BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Friends: I'm considering adding an E24 6-series to my collection, and need your advice regarding the best car to look for.

Clearly the M6 would be a good choice, but what about the 635CSi? They can be had for not too much money, and there are even some Euro-spec cars (M635CSi) around.

Anybody own an older 6-Series? Anything in particular I should look for when shopping for one of these classics?

I own an E28 M5, so I'm pretty familiar with the issues associated with the older BMWs. But I've never owned an E24 before.

Many thanks, Mike

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Well, if you own an e28 M5, you know almost everything about the e24.

The Euro e24 is prized for the higher horsepower engine, and "less bulky bumpers". The 635CSi is nice, but it is like comparing the e28 535 to the M5.

For a ton of info on the e24, you should really go to Roadfly:
http://bimmer.roadfly.org/bmw/forums/e24/

For a good M6, expect to pay from $12k to $15k. For really low mileage, some are selling in the low 20s. The only cars available for less than $10k are probably in need of quite a bit of TLC.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I suppose I should change my signature since mine is gone now, but with your E28 experience, I will agree with louv that you know about everything you need to know.
Only thing I'd add is that the Recaro sport seats are awesome and a little hard to find (for E24s in general, standard on M6?), but I wouldn't let that be a sticking point on a prospective car. Oh, and cars without the self leveling suspension handle better.
Good luck in your search and don't get discouraged keeping the thing up. Which you know since you already own an old BMW...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts