BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 M-5 which I've had since new(carbon black/caramel) & am getting set to order an E-60 M-5 soon(allocation should be for a nov or jan build). Planning to go with silverstone II/silverstone & all the options. My m-5 has been a fabulous car in all respects( except as a daily driver the shifting tends to become a chore when not playing & even though bmw does a great job of hiding it the weight of the car 3900 lbs makes it not as nimble as the E-36 M-3 that was replaced when I got The M-5). My question is for those people on here who have a new E-60 m-5 how does it compare to your previous car if it was an E-39 M-5 or an E-46 M-3. Thanks in advance for any input. Incidentally I've driven an E-46 M-3 with Smg many times & absolutely love the smg & the M-3. It lacks a little torque but has great handling & the sum of the parts is greater than the whole Imho.

·
Registered
34 Posts
musclecar6 said:
I have a 2003 M-5 which I've had since new(carbon black/caramel) & am getting set to order an E-60 M-5 soon(allocation should be for a nov or jan build). Planning to go with silverstone II/silverstone & all the options. My m-5 has been a fabulous car in all respects( except as a daily driver the shifting tends to become a chore when not playing & even though bmw does a great job of hiding it the weight of the car 3900 lbs makes it not as nimble as the E-36 M-3 that was replaced when I got The M-5). My question is for those people on here who have a new E-60 m-5 how does it compare to your previous car if it was an E-39 M-5 or an E-46 M-3. Thanks in advance for any input. Incidentally I've driven an E-46 M-3 with Smg many times & absolutely love the smg & the M-3. It lacks a little torque but has great handling & the sum of the parts is greater than the whole Imho.
I used to have an E-46 M3, the E-60 M5 is a fabulous car in many ways (as mentioned many times for it's various capabilities on the board). It might be that I havn't driven it enough or hard enough yet (only 3000km) but with the E-46 M3 I felt "at home" from the first km, while with the E-60 M5 I am not there yet. It's difficult to explain why because I can't find anything wrong or disturbing with it, on the contrary, it's an amazing car! Probably just my personal feeling! :confused:

·
Registered
431 Posts
Is there any way to shave off some Pounds off the M5....example..ford mustangs take out the Steel bumper in the front and put the plastic back over it and saves 70 lbs off the front. Hate to get in a wreak, by,,by radiator but it is still saved pounds.....

FLOYD

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
m5floyd said:
Is there any way to shave off some Pounds off the M5....example..ford mustangs take out the Steel bumper in the front and put the plastic back over it and saves 70 lbs off the front. Hate to get in a wreak, by,,by radiator but it is still saved pounds.....

FLOYD
BMW did most of this for you. Explains a big part of the price-difference.....

·
Registered
248 Posts
RTm5 said:
I used to have an E-46 M3, the E-60 M5 is a fabulous car in many ways (as mentioned many times for it's various capabilities on the board). It might be that I havn't driven it enough or hard enough yet (only 3000km) but with the E-46 M3 I felt "at home" from the first km, while with the E-60 M5 I am not there yet. It's difficult to explain why because I can't find anything wrong or disturbing with it, on the contrary, it's an amazing car! Probably just my personal feeling! :confused:
I think that you are right. The E60 platform is very different. I don't think that driving it longer is going to change your mind. It will just reinforce you initial feeling....

My experience is limited as we do not have E60 M5's in the U.S. as of yet. However, my 545i sport left me cold. After 16 months the feeling has grown. This may be the first BMW that was not fun to drive. It is perfect but.....:sad1:

Please continue to give us your personal feedback.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts