BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I went to EAS (European Auto Source) and got my car; dyno'd, got my TCU flashed to the Euro SMG Software (7842206 Ver.3),and got the car coded. I didn't want to write a separate thread for each so thought I would condense it all in one.

DYNO

I got the car dyno'd right when I got there. The dyno was a dynojet, unloaded. I wanted something to compare to when I do get my headers and put my ESS tune back on the car. More so, its fun to put the car on a dyno and see what its putting out + I wanted to compare what my E60 M5 is putting out compared to what my buddies have put out on the same dyno, bragging rights, lol. Enjoy

Mods:
RPI Scoops/Block-Off Plates
BMC Filters
RPI Pulley
Eisenmann Race Section 3

The car on the second run made a Max Power of 439.37 / Max Torque - 331.02
The car on the third run made a Max Power of 440.02 / Max Torque - 330.87

I need to scan the graphs up still.

Euro SMG Software (7842206 Ver.3)

I have to thank Vodyk and the other members in the "Reprogram Euro SMG software to US cars! (Faster shifts + 4k Launch Control) for free!"

If it wasn't for Vodyk I would have never found out about this simple yet amazing software trick. I was planning on doing this myself, getting the cable, going to get a battery tender, and downloading the software + the BMW Programs but I was a little overwhelmed by all of it, I didn't want to brick my TCU. I knew EAS (EuropeanAutoSource) did coding and talked to EAS about what I wanted to do, which was essentially to flash my TCU to euro smg software 7842206. To be honest I was a bit a skeptical and afraid of doing this but I'm glad I did. To flash the TCU took about 30 minutes. I got in the car and noticed it started in drive instead of the manual mode, I took it for a drive around the block and was utterly surprised at how different the smg was. The shifts were more; firm, crisp, natural, less violent. Before on the U.S version it was like the SMG would gasp for a breath before shifting but not anymore it just goes from gear to gear with ease and unnoticed shifts now, just more smoother and firm. I was curious if I was just imagining this so I had my girlfriend "Melissa" drive the car as well, she instantly noticed how much smoother and firmer the SMG was shifting, in both auto and manual mode. From her words "it took the clunk out" making the car much more comfortable to drive for her. The Euro software definitely makes a difference in daily driving, I didn't have a chance to drive it in S6 yet and row through the gears but I will give an update on that this coming week. Launch control, that is the best part, once the car was warmed up I turned DSC off, put it in S6, held the SMG shift lever up, and the car went to 4100RPM just waiting to get dropped, I think tomorrow night I will test this out and try to make a video.

I have talked to some members and they say they have "no" need for the euro smg software cause they don't use launch control. I think it should be done if you want a firmer, smoother, more natural SMG shift and not just for launch control thought that is a big plus+. Its a big difference from the U.S software and well worth it.

CODING

This is the following coding I had done aside from the Euro SMG programing!

-Xenon High Beams (for when flashing instead of using halogens)
-Blinkers in HUD
-Digital Speedometer in BC Display
-Roll up Windows with Key
-Fold Mirrors with Key
-Disable I-Drive Legal Notice

I literally spent 5 minutes just folding my mirrors and unfolding them with the key, its pretty awesome. Digital Speedometer in the B.C display is pretty awesome as well. Blinkers in the HUD, don't know why that wasn't standard from the factory. The Xenon High Beam instead of using halogens is cool too, I wonder if it will help getting slower cars out of the left lane, lol

That sums it up!

·
Registered
932 Posts
Nice numbers and congrats! But hie did you get the Beast to dyno with the hood open? I was told you need to have it close to start the Beast.
Thanks , nice sound too!

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
+1 i had to close my hood too when on the dyno, maybe coded?

·
Registered
363 Posts
^Weren't owners saying that they would latch the hood somehow in tricking the the computer into thinking that the hood was actually closed when it wasn't?
Anyhow, Khyber, those numbers are great and that reprogramming is definitely something i'd like to get once I get my hands on my beast. Thanks for sharing and keep us updated. Cheers

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
I went to EAS (European Auto Source) and got my car; dyno'd, got my TCU flashed to the Euro SMG Software (7842206 Ver.3),and got the car coded. I didn't want to write a separate thread for each so thought I would condense it all in one.

DYNO

I got the car dyno'd right when I got there. The dyno was a dynojet, unloaded. I wanted something to compare to when I do get my headers and put my ESS tune back on the car. More so, its fun to put the car on a dyno and see what its putting out + I wanted to compare what my E60 M5 is putting out compared to what my buddies have put out on the same dyno, bragging rights, lol. Enjoy

Mods:
RPI Scoops/Block-Off Plates
BMC Filters
RPI Pulley
Eisenmann Race Section 3

The car on the second run made a Max Power of 439.37 / Max Torque - 331.02
The car on the third run made a Max Power of 440.02 / Max Torque - 330.87

I need to scan the graphs up still.

Euro SMG Software (7842206 Ver.3)

I have to thank Vodyk and the other members in the "Reprogram Euro SMG software to US cars! (Faster shifts + 4k Launch Control) for free!"

If it wasn't for Vodyk I would have never found out about this simple yet amazing software trick. I was planning on doing this myself, getting the cable, going to get a battery tender, and downloading the software + the BMW Programs but I was a little overwhelmed by all of it, I didn't want to brick my TCU. I knew EAS (EuropeanAutoSource) did coding and talked to EAS about what I wanted to do, which was essentially to flash my TCU to euro smg software 7842206. To be honest I was a bit a skeptical and afraid of doing this but I'm glad I did. To flash the TCU took about 30 minutes. I got in the car and noticed it started in drive instead of the manual mode, I took it for a drive around the block and was utterly surprised at how different the smg was. The shifts were more; firm, crisp, natural, less violent. Before on the U.S version it was like the SMG would gasp for a breath before shifting but not anymore it just goes from gear to gear with ease and unnoticed shifts now, just more smoother and firm. I was curious if I was just imagining this so I had my girlfriend "Melissa" drive the car as well, she instantly noticed how much smoother and firmer the SMG was shifting, in both auto and manual mode. From her words "it took the clunk out" making the car much more comfortable to drive for her. The Euro software definitely makes a difference in daily driving, I didn't have a chance to drive it in S6 yet and row through the gears but I will give an update on that this coming week. Launch control, that is the best part, once the car was warmed up I turned DSC off, put it in S6, held the SMG shift lever up, and the car went to 4100RPM just waiting to get dropped, I think tomorrow night I will test this out and try to make a video.

I have talked to some members and they say they have "no" need for the euro smg software cause they don't use launch control. I think it should be done if you want a firmer, smoother, more natural SMG shift and not just for launch control thought that is a big plus+. Its a big difference from the U.S software and well worth it.

CODING

This is the following coding I had done aside from the Euro SMG programing!

-Xenon High Beams (for when flashing instead of using halogens)
-Blinkers in HUD
-Digital Speedometer in BC Display
-Roll up Windows with Key
-Fold Mirrors with Key
-Disable I-Drive Legal Notice

I literally spent 5 minutes just folding my mirrors and unfolding them with the key, its pretty awesome. Digital Speedometer in the B.C display is pretty awesome as well. Blinkers in the HUD, don't know why that wasn't standard from the factory. The Xenon High Beam instead of using halogens is cool too, I wonder if it will help getting slower cars out of the left lane, lol

That sums it up!
Kyber - Thanks for the great review. I'm planning on getting the Euro SMG software installed in the next week or two as my mechanics at Autohaus Frankfurt were telling me all about it and have the software to install it. With the coding you had done at EAS, what is the digital speedometer in "bc display" ? Sounds pretty cool but I'm not understanding what the "bc display" is. What did it cost to have EAS code all that stuff for you? I'm planning on a trip down there too soon. Thanks man. See you soon.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Thats awesome about the coding. So what did they charge you for the euro smg software and the other coding. I cant believe ESS charges like $700 just for that.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thats awesome about the coding. So what did they charge you for the euro smg software and the other coding. I cant believe ESS charges like $700 just for that.
I felt like I stole it, thats how cheap it was! Coding & Euro SMG software was $95.00! Best mod I have done aside from the exhaust!

Nice numbers and congrats! But hie did you get the Beast to dyno with the hood open? I was told you need to have it close to start the Beast.
Thanks , nice sound too!
You have to have the hood closed to start the car? Never even knew that but I will try it today when I start the car up and give you a update. I know about 4 other E60 M5's which have been on the dyno @ EAS and all have had the hood open, for example this one - KrisHorton

Kyber - Thanks for the great review. I'm planning on getting the Euro SMG software installed in the next week or two as my mechanics at Autohaus Frankfurt were telling me all about it and have the software to install it. With the coding you had done at EAS, what is the digital speedometer in "bc display" ? Sounds pretty cool but I'm not understanding what the "bc display" is. What did it cost to have EAS code all that stuff for you? I'm planning on a trip down there too soon. Thanks man. See you soon.
The B.C display is where you can see the oil reading (0.6 or 0.1), shows the MPG, shows the temp, that display in between the rev counter and speedo! I will make some videos today! $95.00, for Euro SMG and Coding, they call the Euro SMG coding "CSL Coding" and is included in the coding package.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
That is awesome. Thats all i can say.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Nice!

Guess I will have to look at the calender, clear a spot for this and give them a call. It's so close and I'm very interested in seeing how different the shifts are. My wife complains about the jerkiness of the shifts and taking that away would be very nice.

Nice work on the review!

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
UPDATE!!!

I did the Euro SMG Launch Control tonight. To say the least it is very addictive, the Launch Control Program revs up to 4100 and then shifts for you as you go down range, its just too much fun to say the least. I made a video, we made it freehand so its kinda shaky and you can hear my buddy in the background commenting on the launch control system. Enjoy!

Also, in the U.S Launch Control you always got a lag when you let the lever go but with the Euro Launch Control, no lag!

Here is the video for SSS M5 & IndyRedBeast on starting the car with the hood open, lol, I guess mine can do it, no lights, no warnings!

Thanks , nice sound too!
+1 i had to close my hood too when on the dyno, maybe coded?
Not Coded for that!

·
Registered
559 Posts
Nice number and good luck

·
Registered
363 Posts
That LC is legit. I wonder how many 4100rpm drops can the SMG, with it having the plague as many say, can handle. Nonetheless, its

·
Registered
985 Posts
I was thinking the same thing!!!! I am temped to drive down there and get this done.:M5thumbs:

·
Registered
395 Posts
Nice numbers and power... The Euro smg and coding is really the best part of this thread and the video!!

Let me ask you, is the car able to shift on its own, without your pulling the paddle or lever at redline?
For example after you launch controllled the car, did it shift on its own at redline?

Everything else seems great, along with starting off in D and shifting smoother etc.. This def is gonna be one of the biggest mods i can see for the M5 and for the price of the coding and the euro smg.. ITS A STEAL!!!

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Nice numbers and power... The Euro smg and coding is really the best part of this thread and the video!!

Let me ask you, is the car able to shift on its own, without your pulling the paddle or lever at redline?
For example after you launch controllled the car, did it shift on its own at redline?

Everything else seems great, along with starting off in D and shifting smoother etc.. This def is gonna be one of the biggest mods i can see for the M5 and for the price of the coding and the euro smg.. ITS A STEAL!!!
Yup, the car shifted on its own! My tires were spinning till 3rd gear! It's way better than the Handicap U.S launch control!

I'm real curious if my 1/4 mile time improved, the auto shifts give a perfect redline shift! I'll see when the 1/4 mile is open @ Fontana, and give a update!

·
Registered
395 Posts
Yup, the car shifted on its own! My tires were spinning till 3rd gear! It's way better than the Handicap U.S launch control!

I'm real curious if my 1/4 mile time improved, the auto shifts give a perfect redline shift! I'll see when the 1/4 mile is open @ Fontana, and give a update!
WOW! thanks great.. Thanks for the info and video.. This is something ive been looking into for the M5 for a while.. Im surprised it took so long for it to come out.. CODING FTW!!

Taking the driver error out of the equation with perfect redline shifts, traction is gonna be your biggest enemy! get some sticker rubber in the back, play with the air pressure, and see if the adjusting the REV via the stalk like euro versions really work so you can work out how best to launch your car and at what RPM. Every M5 i race its hardest problem is launching hard..

·
Registered
408 Posts
Dammit, so jealous lol... Who in south fla can do this for a reasonable deal as well????

Grats and thanks for sharing

1 - 20 of 36 Posts