BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well I got the M5 over to the Dyno today.

Results:
MAX Power=353.56
MAX Torque=329.99

Not bad. But Ronnies car is similar to mine but does not have the 2k carbon plennum etc. So it is interesting to see what may or may not be "worth" an upgrade. But as we were talking about today, I did not pay for the mods on my car and niether did Ronnie. Personally the expense (just shy of 40k) put into my car is cool but I wouldn't spend the $$ to do it.

I will post the Dyno sheets soon. Just need to scan them in.

Here is a video Ronnie took. Thanks Ronnie.

Tim's Black M5 Dyno Run

Here is a list of some of the things done on mine (list from pervious owner):

2001 BMW M5 59k miles
Black with Caramel interior
Navigation system
M Bass stereo upgrade
K40 Stealth with radar jammer.
Shroth 4 point harness.

Engine:
Eurobahn Carbon fiber high volume plenum
Increase air volume by 10% decrease air temperature by 20-28 degrees F.
PowerChip software
Increase of 8 horsepower over Dinan Stage 3
Dinan Cold Air intakes
Dinan high volume air mass sensors
Air temperature relocation kit
Supersprint headers and connector pipe
Supersprint X pipe
Supersprint Magnum Series exhaust
Dyno test shows 440HP at the crank. Performed and documented by Bavarian Hyper Sport

Transmission:
UUC Short shifter kit
UUC transmission mounts
UUC Lightweight flywheel kit. (24 pound aluminum flywheel with 850csi friction plate)
Dinan 3.45 differential

Suspension:
K&W Variant II Coilover Kit (Adjust ride height and stiffness)
Eibach oversized swaybar kit front and rear
Dinan strut tower brace front and rear
Brakes: Brembo Big Brake kit with Ferrodo pads and ATE Super Blue DOT4 Race brake fluid

Wheels:
Hammon 19 inch Pro Series II

Tires :
Bridgestone SO3 Front 245/35 ZR19 Rear 285/30 ZR19

All maintenance and performance modification were performed by Momentum BMW and Bavarian Hyper Sport.
All fluid changes done prematurely
Oil changes done at 4k miles

·
Registered
5,226 Posts
Tim W said:

Results:
MAX Power=353.56
MAX Torque=329.99

Time,

I have 367HP at the rear wheels which roughly translates into 425HP at the engine, if you believe the 15% loss in the drivetrain theory. Your number are pretty good, in fact much better than others I have seen. Some as low as 330HP at the rear wheels.

Mark

·
Registered
12,965 Posts
MAH said:
Tim W said:

Results:
MAX Power=353.56
MAX Torque=329.99

Time,

I have 367HP at the rear wheels which roughly translates into 425HP at the engine, if you believe the 15% loss in the drivetrain theory. Your number are pretty good, in fact much better than others I have seen. Some as low as 330HP at the rear wheels.

Mark
Don't get too fixated on numbers. Comparisions from dyno to dyno are only rough approximations. Comparisions on the same dyno are useful.
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Funny thing is that the nubers are almost identicle to the dyno the previous owner has run there in Houston cack in August.

Mark, how are you turning out nearly 15 mor HP? WHat modifications do you have?

·
10,458 Posts
Tim W said:
an optomistic dyno, perhaps! :haha: A windtunnel to make that cai really work? Or a really strong car from the start!

Tim, you numbers are really similar to mine too, with similar mods, except for the CF plenum lid and the dinan mafs. I'd expect some of those intake mods to not make a big difference on a stationary dyno, you need airflow to get the cai etc to really show any difference.
Mike

·
Registered
445 Posts
wow.. very nice Weds M5 you got there! :D

MAH said:
Tim W said:

Results:
MAX Power=353.56
MAX Torque=329.99

Time,

Mark

·
Registered
5,226 Posts
Tim W said:
Funny thing is that the nubers are almost identicle to the dyno the previous owner has run there in Houston cack in August.

Tim,

I don't think CAI does anything for the dyno numbers. I had a pretty stong engine (there is a 15% variation up or down from the factory) from the beginning, even stronger than mt MY00. With the Powerchip and a redline set at 8000RPM, you get to wring out a little more from the engine. The only reason I have 8000 red line is that I was the test car for PowerChip for the 91 octane fuel in CA when I lived in Irvine. I rarely take it above 7400RPM. I really don't think I see all that much more HP above 7600RPM.

Mark

1 - 8 of 8 Posts