BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just installed Section 1 & 2 but kept the stock muffler on the rear for the time being -- gained a small HP and nice Torque gain. I'll post the dyno sheets soon. However, we did capture a nice video with the improved sound as she ran thru the gears. Anyone know how to upload the video without posting to google etc?

Attachments

·
Registered
605 Posts
How much did you gain?? I too have a video to upload (Sect 1 & 2 and Miesterchaft Mufflers) but my internet is sucking tonight and YouTube and Google Video keep freezing and my upload speed is like 2 kb!! :grrrrr: I finally have videos for you guys and can't upload :(
Evan

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here's the Dyno Run --- The difference shown is between my run with charcoal filters removed vs. no filters and section 1 & 2 installed. Not a lot of HP but a sizeable gain in torque. Both runs were made with the 20" HREs in place.

Attachments

·
Company Representative of RPI Power
3,395 Posts
Interesting, thanks for sharing.

I wonder what's causing the dip at 7800rpm with the sec1/2. It looks like your HP gain would have been much healthier without that dip. Perhaps the operator wasn't fully on the gas at that rpm?

Did they give you the A/F readings as well?

·
Registered
155 Posts
The difference in HP equates to only 0.5% which is well within the error tolerance of the dyno ie if you did two back to back runs with the same setup (ie sect 1+2 or even all standard) you'd probably get at least a similar difference in readings.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Spoiler

TOYNUT said:
Just installed Section 1 & 2 but kept the stock muffler on the rear for the time being -- gained a small HP and nice Torque gain. I'll post the dyno sheets soon. However, we did capture a nice video with the improved sound as she ran thru the gears. Anyone know how to upload the video without posting to google etc?

Nice car. What front spoiler is that?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The front spoiler is from Hartge. The operator did lift at the tail end trying to anticipate the rev limiter. As for the A/F it's almost a flat line just under 13. When it stops raining here we're going back for runs on the dyno - someone mentioned the 20" HREs size/weight vs. the stock wheels would yield different results. We'll see....

·
Company Representative of RPI Power
3,395 Posts
Cobra540bhp said:
The difference in HP equates to only 0.5% which is well within the error tolerance of the dyno ie if you did two back to back runs with the same setup (ie sect 1+2 or even all standard) you'd probably get at least a similar difference in readings.
That would be very true except for the difference in the actual curves. There's definitely something going on, but whether its operator error or the engine cutting timing, who knows?

·
Registered
445 Posts
Cobra540bhp said:
+1 the difference is negligible, do 5 runs withthe same setup and the results will differ by more than this

·
Registered
605 Posts
Thanks for the dyno! I assume the stock mufflers hurt a little bit... Looks like had he run it to redline it would have been about 5HP and 8TQ, not bad, I figured I gained around 10HP/15TQ doing my setup (sec1,2 and mufflers), seems somewhat reasonable I guess...
Thanks again,
Evan

·
Registered
249 Posts
Good numbers! You should add the exhaust and see what kind of gains you can get. The stock E60 M5 exhaust is heavy and restrictive.

Cheers

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I raced home to beat the rain right after the mods were done and it felt slightly quicker in the mid-range with a nice raspy sound but nothing as extreme as AMG ETR's (nice!). So, today was the first day without rain and I thought I'd terrorize the commuters on my way to work.....there's a break in traffic and I hit the throttle....butt-meter says we've had a loss in power. I check power settings and try again - same result. Then I see the dreaded - "Service Engine Soon". Scheduled for dealer service this Thurs so I'll have to give another update this weekend.

·
Registered
605 Posts
TOYNUT said:
I raced home to beat the rain right after the mods were done and it felt slightly quicker in the mid-range with a nice raspy sound but nothing as extreme as AMG ETR's (nice!). So, today was the first day without rain and I thought I'd terrorize the commuters on my way to work.....there's a break in traffic and I hit the throttle....butt-meter says we've had a loss in power. I check power settings and try again - same result. Then I see the dreaded - "Service Engine Soon". Scheduled for dealer service this Thurs so I'll have to give another update this weekend.
Yea somthing seems off, getting rid of a set of Catalytics will usually yield more than 2HP as they tend to be very restrictive. I have to think its more like 5-10HP with the two mid pipes and maybe another 5 with mufflers?
Just a guess,
Evan

1 - 19 of 19 Posts