BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Had my M5 on the dyno this afternoon at Ecotune in Glasgow, Scotland. I went there with a friend of mine who has a 2008 Audi RS4. Engine wise, my M5 is completely stock. Made 437.6Hp. I was a little disappointed - the guys said they normally see 440-450 from stock M5's, so seems it is a little down on power. They felt that it was running great, and perhaps the engine is just a bit coked up. However, after reading on here, it seems that kind of figure is normal for a stock engine?

I was happy to see that there is no problems with fueling according to the air fuel monitor despite my suspected issues with the fuel pump and the 27D0 fault code that I can't get rid of! The guy actually said it might be a touch on the rich side.

I was even happier once my friends RS4 was on the dyno - he has an aftermarket intake, Miltek exhaust, and remap. It made just 350hp, standard is meant to be 420!

Attachments

·
Registered
94 Posts
Dynos show horsepower from the wheels, not the crank. 437rwhp seems perfectly fine due to drivetrain loss etc. If you look up conversions online or calculate it, they will show 505-520hp from the crank :)

·
Registered
13,461 Posts
Well within the range it is supposed to be for a stock car.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cheers lads. After reading this is actually wheel power I am more than happy with the result!

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nice one. I was impressed with the service and staff there, very helpful.

They told me about the terraclean but not sure. The car is about to do a track day at Silverstone on thurs so just glad to see it's running well. How much did the remap give you? I had been thinking about evolve.

Are you in glasgow?

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Live in Ayrshire mate. Nearly 30 brake with the map with 480 whp in the end. Defo recommend the terraclean.
Great, thanks for the info. The remap sounds good value for money, so might just go for it. Removal of the speed limiter should come in handy for the Nurburgring :blink:

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Given the price, and the fact they can remove the speed limiter etc. - I think 499GBP is very good value. I had originally been planning on going for an Evolve remap, but given Ecotune are local to me and I can see the results right on the dyno, I think i'll be giving them a go for the remap.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Given the price, and the fact they can remove the speed limiter etc. - I think 499GBP is very good value. I had originally been planning on going for an Evolve remap, but given Ecotune are local to me and I can see the results right on the dyno, I think i'll be giving them a go for the remap.
Yes it's a decent price mate, evolve were doing mine for £500 also but I would need the cable on top of that. Evolve are supposedly the best though.

Maybe we should organise a group buy???

Why would you want the limiter removed :biggrinbounce:

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So the Evolve is 500 plus the cable? That's also tempting. I'd probably be keen for a group buy, but if the Evolve is this price then it would be a toss up as I see they can offer additional coding options which appeal to me (race seats). Plus, the included diagnostic function with the Evolve cable would be useful (though I already have BMW DIS). That being said, there is nothing like seeing the real results of a remap while the car is on the dyno. What are your thoughts?

I do a lot of track days with mine and go to the Ring every year so would like the limiter taken off to stop it topping out at 170mph in 6th on the main straight :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts