BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sharing a bad experience last week with the rest of the community...

I tried to do a baseline dyno test before starting the process of adding tunes and mods. There is a Ford dealership near where I work in Vancouver that tunes Cobras and Shelbys so I gave them a call to ask about a dyno run. I still have my winter tires on, so I was going to wait until after I switched to my summer tires, but the dude at the shop informed me that they used a Dynapack axle mount dynometer that bolts directly onto the rear axles, so it wouldn't matter.

I took a look on the website, and said OK. Big mistake. After hooking up the dyno to the rear axle, the dude in the shop spent about 40 minutes fumbling around with the settings trying to get a clean run. He kept complaining about "these damn automatics" dropping the rpms too much on a shift. During the setup, the test guy did something which caused my transmission to error out and go into a safe mode. I thought he blew my tranny!

He immediately grabbed his phone and called his BMW buddy, all the while complaining to the guy on the phone about my "automatic transmision". Fortunately, the guy on the other end seemed to know his stuff 'cuz I heard my test guy mutter "OK, SMG. SMG. I got it." After shutting down and restarting the engine, the error went away and we managed to get two reasonable pulls in third gear. I snapped a few random pics with my phone cam during the setup.

Needless to say, I don't have a lot of confidence in my results but the numbers are in the report phot below: about 427 whp around 7700 rpm, and 312 lb-ft torque at 6400 rpm.

I cannot recommend that anyone bother with Dynapack dynos unless you are certain your tester actually knows what he is doing! I highly doubt I'll be going back to this dealership for another test run after I'm done with my tunes. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced anything similar with this style of dyno. Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
366 Posts
So was he in D mode, or shifting manually?

When I was reading, I thought he did something wrong in the rear and blew up your hubs or something.. Good thing it was better!

Is your car bone stock?

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Sharing a bad experience last week with the rest of the community...

I tried to do a baseline dyno test before starting the process of adding tunes and mods. There is a Ford dealership near where I work in Vancouver that tunes Cobras and Shelbys so I gave them a call to ask about a dyno run. I still have my winter tires on, so I was going to wait until after I switched to my summer tires, but the dude at the shop informed me that they used a Dynapack axle mount dynometer that bolts directly onto the rear axles, so it wouldn't matter.

I took a look on the website, and said OK. Big mistake. After hooking up the dyno to the rear axle, the dude in the shop spent about 40 minutes fumbling around with the settings trying to get a clean run. He kept complaining about "these damn automatics" dropping the rpms too much on a shift. During the setup, the test guy did something which caused my transmission to error out and go into a safe mode. I thought he blew my tranny!

He immediately grabbed his phone and called his BMW buddy, all the while complaining to the guy on the phone about my "automatic transmision". Fortunately, the guy on the other end seemed to know his stuff 'cuz I heard my test guy mutter "OK, SMG. SMG. I got it." After shutting down and restarting the engine, the error went away and we managed to get two reasonable pulls in third gear. I snapped a few random pics with my phone cam during the setup.

Needless to say, I don't have a lot of confidence in my results but the numbers are in the report phot below: about 427 whp around 7700 rpm, and 312 lb-ft torque at 6400 rpm.

I cannot recommend that anyone bother with Dynapack dynos unless you are certain your tester actually knows what he is doing! I highly doubt I'll be going back to this dealership for another test run after I'm done with my tunes. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced anything similar with this style of dyno. Thanks!

Which tune are u planning to go with? do u want to joint the eurocharged gb?

what mods and which tuner shop are u going to get your mods done at?

·
Company Representative for Evolve Automotive
3,068 Posts
First thing is that there is no way the kind of adequte cooling there for the V10 to actually perform.

Dyno testing without aqequate cooling is a complete waste of time.

Infact, a thorough dyno test will also have intake, coolant, oil temperature monitored and logging of ignition is also vital to know what the ECU is doing.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So was he in D mode, or shifting manually?

When I was reading, I thought he did something wrong in the rear and blew up your hubs or something.. Good thing it was better!

Is your car bone stock?
He shifted manually, but I had to show him how to verify that he was in S mode. My car was bone stock at the time of this dyno test. I've made some tweeks since then. :3:

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
First thing is that there is no way the kind of adequte cooling there for the V10 to actually perform.

Dyno testing without aqequate cooling is a complete waste of time.

Infact, a thorough dyno test will also have intake, coolant, oil temperature monitored and logging of ignition is also vital to know what the ECU is doing.
THANK YOU Evolve! As this was my first time ever trying out a tune, I had my reservations about this shop during the testing process. You have confirmed my thoughts and I will not be returning. If I remember correctly, the tester inserted a sensor in the exhaust during my third dyno pull, but that was about it for monitoring points. In the end, it's just best to find and stick with a reputable tuner - especially one that knows the subtle nuances of the V-10 engine.

On that note, if anyone knows of a good shop in the Greater Vancouver area, please let me know!

·
Company Representative for Evolve Automotive
3,068 Posts
We need to find someone who has an excellent cooling fan.

Use a dynojet which has the module for logging ignition and AFR.

Operator should have something like BAVTECH or INPA so they can test the car when the intake temps are nice and low. Otherwise the ECU removes ignition.

What tune were you testing?

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Which tune are u planning to go with? do u want to joint the eurocharged gb?

what mods and which tuner shop are u going to get your mods done at?
Tried to PM you but I don't have enough posts yet. I'm such a newb!
I put an update on my old tuning thread re. my first tunes.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
We need to find someone who has an excellent cooling fan.

Use a dynojet which has the module for logging ignition and AFR.

Operator should have something like BAVTECH or INPA so they can test the car when the intake temps are nice and low. Otherwise the ECU removes ignition.

What tune were you testing?
I was doing a full on Stock baseline test. I just had the Dinan Stage 1 Tune installed yesterday. Will probably do some airflow tunes with Dinan in the early summer, and go to Stage 2 Software before trying to dyno again.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts