BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I took my car to the dyno today and did 2 runs all in fifth gear. My mods are Evosport headers, ESS CU, RPI scoops + bmc filters, SS race mufflers and x-pipe.

DYNOJET
1st run:
hp: 459.1
trq: 341.9

2nd run:
hp: 461.6
trq: 343.9

temp 33C

DYNO run before headers, ESS computer upgrade and bmc filters. Just mufflers, x-pipe and RPI scoops.

hp: 433.2
trq: 326.2

temp 29C

Bahrain M5 came along and did a dyno run but suprisingly his torque was less than my torque before headers and cu eventhough hes got one better with the pullies.. I will let him reveal his numbers :dunno:

EDIT: the pulley will be going on in the next few days and im curious to see what my numbers will be.

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
that sounds like sone correction factors were not pluged in somethings is up how can you lose power:dunno:

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
that sounds like sone correction factors were not pluged in somethings is up how can you lose power:dunno:
I gained power and torque not lose.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Nice numbers , considering it was 91 degree. I bet be a bit higher if it was cooler. cherrsagai

are cams next? :1:

Reactions: Black M5

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Very good numbers, congrats and thats without a pulley.
Remember about the synergistic effect of mods and not additive effect.
All the mods are in there working and achieving their peak hp gain at different rpm's levels and their synergy usually comes out less than we'd like to see.
Your numbers are great. Based on your rwhp results I would predict you can make 470 to 475 rwhp after the pulley. This would give you one of the top rwhp results out there on pure motor.
Try a shoot of nitrous and watch those results go through the ceiling, haha :7:
Good luck and post your results.

M5Ranger...Juan

·
Registered
513 Posts
Thats awesome....:trophy_bronze::trophy_bronze: I get my headers - high flow cats - and X-Pipe this week... :applause::haha2: Can't freaken wait!!!!! I have the pulley on already - so my expectations are high... I am dropping mine off Monday - I should have back Wed or Thurs.. Depending on if I have to go out of town Wednesday.. Can't wait to dyno and actually see gains! Congrats on the gains black M5!

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
M5 junky,
What did you dyno now ? Bahrain M5 boosted his WHP by 60 with headers, cats, x pipe, race mufflers, cu and RPI intake so you should expect at least 30WHP gain.

Try a shoot of nitrous
:eek::eek::eek:

dont forget thats its quiet light with all the weight savings ive done thus its really become a bullet. I dont know if i would need to add anything more after the pulley yet that supercharger looks tempting :3: ;)

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well im not sure but to my understanding the fifth gear is the right gear or am i wrong ? :confused:

Can anyone input here ? thx

·
Registered
539 Posts
The reason for the dyno in the 1:1 gear ratio is due to the Dynojet. Dynojet mathematically creates a horsepower number based on mass (which is the known weight of the rollers) and acceleration (how fast the car is accelerating the known weight).

F=ma

From force (F), we can calculate horsepower.

Dyno the car in 2nd gear, and acceleration (a) goes way up, causing force (F) to go way up.

So by dynoing the car in the gear closest to the 1:1 gear ratio, we eliminate any acceleration advantage or disadvantage caused by the transmission, which gives us unskewed whp numbers. It's really not a huge deal to dyno in 5th gear though.

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yet which is closer to 1:1. Fifth or sixth? If its sixth then my numbers will be higher :)

·
Registered
759 Posts
mabrook black m5, any videos of both runs?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hi All,
First of all a big thank you goes out to Black M5 for sharing his numbers. Regarding my beast, original dyno run done on my bone-stock car (back then) yeilded a surprisingly low figure of 401 WHP (CF:SAE) , unfortunately no torque reading was taken at the time ouich

The run yesterday with Black M5 yeilded a Very Very Very good increase. I had two runs with the second being the best. My second run is as follows:

29.24 degrees celcius
30.14 in-Hg
Humidity 27%
JIS (whatever that means) 0.99
Max Power 460.38 WHP
Max Torque 321.82 WHP

Unfortunately, the dyno guy used "JIS" CF not "SAE". My qyestion to you gurus is as follows, what would the effect of converting my figures from JIS to SAE have? and is it relevant? i.e. is there any difference between the two?

Otherwise, I am extremely pleased :1::1::1: with the figure I got (+60 WHP), even though I am repeatedly being told that the y-band the dyno shop is using gives varrying results, and that my torque reading may in fact be higher. One final note, can anyone advise on the running in period for a new ECU, I am told by many members including Black M5 that I need to pass 1200 Kms using the new ecu for the chngaes to take effect (i.e. the car to adapt). I've only done 540 Kms so far. Shall I go for another dyno run once I pass the 1200 mark?

Your views please.

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
29.24 degrees celcius
30.14 in-Hg
Humidity 27%
Thats funny. The temp was 32C and 20% humidity in my 1st run.
And 33C + 22% humidity in the 2nd and we did our runs in no more than 40 mins apart.

what would the effect of converting my figures from JIS to SAE have?
+1

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
One final note, can anyone advise on the running in period for a new ECU, I am told by many members including Black M5 that I need to pass 1200 Kms using the new ecu for the chngaes to take effect (i.e. the car to adapt). I've only done 540 Kms so far. Shall I go for another dyno run once I pass the 1200 mark?

According to Mike, the ECu needs about 200-400 miles to completely adapt.

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
mabrook black m5, any videos of both runs?
no sorry.

andrewsherman,
I think more than that. I felt the difference after 1200 kms.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
BahrainM5 what are your mods again?
That is a great rwhp result, congrats. With the available bolt on mods these cars seem to be in that range of 450 to 465 rwhp as the expected limit.

Cheers, M5Ranger..Juan

·
Registered
291 Posts
Very good numbers, congrats and thats without a pulley.
Remember about the synergistic effect of mods and not additive effect.
All the mods are in there working and achieving their peak hp gain at different rpm's levels and their synergy usually comes out less than we'd like to see.
Your numbers are great. Based on your rwhp results I would predict you can make 470 to 475 rwhp after the pulley. This would give you one of the top rwhp results out there on pure motor.
Try a shoot of nitrous and watch those results go through the ceiling, haha :7:
Good luck and post your results.

M5Ranger...Juan
Great way of explaining mods' effects.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ranger,
these are his mods plus RPI intake he added before the dyno run.

-Evosport Headers
-Evosport Race Cats
-Evosport X-pipe w/resons
-Evosport "Race" muffler
-Evosport Power Pulley
-Evosport stage2 ECU upgrade

1 - 20 of 29 Posts