BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
took my 06 m6 to local shop to do dyno test, but shop does mostly mustangs , tech did not know how to set computer to allow test . does any one know the procedure . want to dyno before any mods for base line . thank you guys for any help

·
Registered
704 Posts
took my 06 m6 to local shop to do dyno test, but shop does mostly mustangs , tech did not know how to set computer to allow test . does any one know the procedure . want to dyno before any mods for base line . thank you guys for any help
I don't go to the Dr and tell him how to use his equipment any more than I do the Dyno guy. If I was in your position I would find a different shop that knows how to handle your beast. If that isn't an option then I am fairly sure one of the big brains here will be able to provide you the info you need. Good luck!

Reactions: whatheheck

·
Registered
279 Posts
If you are on Long Island...

don't bother bringing your car to a shop that doesn't know how to use their own dyno... bring it to someone a little better (there are several in your area).

I suggest Vinny Ten Racing... I know a couple board members had some of their M6 work done there. I haven't been there personally, but considered them among the Tri-State area installers because they were very highly recommended. According to their website, they use a dynojet dyno... not sure how comparable different brands of dynos are to eachother... but the main reason to dyno a car is before and after mods & tuning so that you can see what gains you had versus stock, and allow the tuners to tweak your car to your specifications.

·
Registered
7,038 Posts
I don't go to the Dr and tell him how to use his equipment any more than I do the Dyno guy. If I was in your position I would find a different shop that knows how to handle your beast. If that isn't an option then I am fairly sure one of the big brains here will be able to provide you the info you need. Good luck!
Excellent Advice!

It is very important that the tech knows how to handle your car. Especially, if it is a 2 wheel dyno, you would need to turn off the DSC to avoid going into limp mode.

·
Registered
52 Posts
It's not that complicated to run the M6 on a dyno.

DSC off - hold the button for 3+ seconds until you see an orange hazard triangle
P500S mode
S5 or S6
Hood closed (or the hood opened sensor defeated)
do the runs in 4th gear

The car will light up like a Christmas tree after the runs but the warning lights will go out after a few blocks of driving.

Reactions: acarges

·
Registered
7,038 Posts
It's not that complicated to run the M6 on a dyno.

DSC off - hold the button for 3+ seconds until you see an orange hazard triangle
P500S mode
S5 or S6
Hood closed (or the hood opened sensor defeated)
do the runs in 4th gear

The car will light up like a Christmas tree after the runs but the warning lights will go out after a few blocks of driving.
This is correct, but if you are running on a 2 wheel dyno, the car will go into limp mode even with the DSC off as the front wheels will not be moving.

·
Registered
52 Posts
This is correct, but if you are running on a 2 wheel dyno, the car will go into limp mode even with the DSC off as the front wheels will not be moving.
I have been to dyno days where M6 and M5s ran with no problems other than warning lights. My E46 M3 requires a copy of GT1 running on my laptop to put it into dyno mode (otherwise RPM is limited to 6,200) but modern BMWs no longer need/have a dyno mode. I think limp mode after dynoing only occurs occasionally and I believe it is a result of the ECU seeing the car go lean or other fuel related problems.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts