BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks, there seems to be a good deal of info on how to dyno the car over on the e39 side, but I haven't had much luck when searching for info on the e60. Stands to reason that the same types of things should be done (i.e. disable DSC and ABS), but wanted to see what the 'experts' have to say. Can anyone shed some light:

- disable DSC and ABS? Is that pull fuses? If so, which ones?
- Preferred gear?
- Any other gotchas that will cause issues with the car or vastly incorrect readings?

Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I didn't pull the ABS fuse or anything on the dyno and my car freaked out bad on the second pull. It had CEL lights, ABS, etc but the weird thing was the radio was spewing static out of the drivers speakers at max level, to the point I thought it was going to damage the speakers. I couldn't stop this regardless of the car switched in position 1 or 2 or off- even drove the car off the dyno to see if it would quit once the front wheels started turning again. I was about to disconnect the battery and suddenly it quit- car was fine after that. Weird.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How did it go? Any tips for the dyno? And how much power did you put down?
The install for the QTP cut outs took all day so we didn't have enough time to hit the dyno. Sounds like pulling the ABS fuse is a must, but I'm not sure which one that is - have to check the manual when I get home.

Of note, the cut outs are worth every penny - I haven't stopped smiling for the last 2 days.

·
Registered
631 Posts
The install for the QTP cut outs took all day so we didn't have enough time to hit the dyno. Sounds like pulling the ABS fuse is a must, but I'm not sure which one that is - have to check the manual when I get home.

Of note, the cut outs are worth every penny - I haven't stopped smiling for the last 2 days.
Haha, I already push my car out of the garage every morning so I don't wake up my 2 year old (I leave for work at 6:30am). :haha: I certainly don't need cutouts! My car isn't even that loud, but it reverberates just right and you can hear it through the entire house if I start it in the garage.

I'll be doing a dyno soon since my local shop just got one installed. If I happen to make it there before you do I'll be sure to post results. And I'll also make sure I pull the ABS fuse.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Haha, I already push my car out of the garage every morning so I don't wake up my 2 year old (I leave for work at 6:30am). :haha: I certainly don't need cutouts! My car isn't even that loud, but it reverberates just right and you can hear it through the entire house if I start it in the garage.

I'll be doing a dyno soon since my local shop just got one installed. If I happen to make it there before you do I'll be sure to post results. And I'll also make sure I pull the ABS fuse.
Damn, pushing a 4000lb car out of the garage every morning - thats a dedicated dad right there. The good thing with the cut outs is that I just keep 'em closed once I turn into the neighborhood and leave it that way when I shut her down, that way when I start the car in the morning it doesn't wake my son up - if they were open it would definitely be a different story.

There's a new tuning business in town that is setting up a dyno day either this weekend or next, so might be able to see what she's putting down then. I'll definitely share anything I learn if I get it done before you do.

·
Registered
691 Posts
I've do multiple Dyno runs and I'll i do is press the m button and do my pulls in 5th gear I also put down 470 to the wheels on a mustang Dyno.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
If anyone has Rheingold or ISTA I just checked and there is a place to turn off the DSC for dyno runs.

Vechicle management
Service function
02 Chassis and suspension
traction control
DSC deactivation for dynamometer

·
Registered
60 Posts
If anyone has Rheingold or ISTA I just checked and there is a place to turn off the DSC for dyno runs.

Vechicle management
Service function
02 Chassis and suspension
traction control
DSC deactivation for dynamometer
B767 capt do you that needs to be done for a dyno? Had the DSC deactivated just using the switch. My car made consistent 400 whp with full primary/secondary decay n tune. Funny thing is I'm getting around 8.9 to 9.3 secs for 60-130 mph runs. Stock she was doing 10.5 to 11 secs.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
B767 capt do you that needs to be done for a dyno? Had the DSC deactivated just using the switch. My car made consistent 400 whp with full primary/secondary decay n tune. Funny thing is I'm getting around 8.9 to 9.3 secs for 60-130 mph runs. Stock she was doing 10.5 to 11 secs.
I'm not sure as I haven't played around on a dyno. I remember seeing that function in Rheingold and thought I'd mention it on this thread as it might be relevant. There is a lot going on with the DSC, ABS, and MDM. I just found something mentioned in our owners manual that might shine some light on why that function is in Rheingold. With the front wheels stationary and the back ones spinning it probably screws up some logic like stuck in snow or something. I found this interesting and didn't know it but here is what the manual says:
Under unfavorable traction conditions, the​
engine output may be briefly reduced even​
when DSC is deactivated

I'm not sure if the dyno scenario is enough to cause a reduction in engine output but turning it off by the switch may not really turn it all the way off. This is probably why it's in ISTA/D.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Damn, pushing a 4000lb car out of the garage every morning - thats a dedicated dad right there. The good thing with the cut outs is that I just keep 'em closed once I turn into the neighborhood and leave it that way when I shut her down, that way when I start the car in the morning it doesn't wake my son up - if they were open it would definitely be a different story.

There's a new tuning business in town that is setting up a dyno day either this weekend or next, so might be able to see what she's putting down then. I'll definitely share anything I learn if I get it done before you do.
It's not too bad, I can just sit in the drivers seat and push with my left foot. Once the rear tires get out of the garage the driveway is downhill so it just rolls from there. But yeah, it's important to keep the kiddo asleep and the wife happy. :)

·
Registered
1,879 Posts

Can u further explain these cutouts and cost?

Thx
Bill

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Can u further explain these cutouts and cost?

Thx
Bill

Hey Bill, the exhaust cutouts are small valves that get welded in to the exhaust piping that, when opened, dump the exhaust, bypassing whatever is downstream. They can be placed on pretty much any car and depending on where they are installed can provide just a change in sound (just prior to mufflers) or can creat significant power gains (just after headers). For the m5 you pretty much have to put them just prior to the mufflers and essentially create a muffler delete. The benefit to the valves is that they can be closed and the exhaust is returned to stock configuration/sound. Many of the board members, including me, have gone with the wireless setup which makes it very easy to open/close at the touch of a button.

As for cost, summit racing has the kit for about $500 and my install cost about $350 for the welding and wiring.

If you search QTP or exhaust cutouts there are a couple threads that will pop up with pretty good pictures and tips for installing them. Hope this helps.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 17 of 17 Posts