BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, since I have been off this week i decided to do my install.

I installed the DVN-E39 in my Beast. Everythign went pretty smoothly, but my steering wheel controls act wonky. I think it is the module because everything is wired right.

I damaged my SD card that came with the Dynavin, so I am waiting for a new one. Idiot.

Here is the sub enclosure that I built. I gave each of my Hifonics Brutus .85 cubic feet and the box is pitched 25 degrees to match up with the rear seats and minimize wasting trunk space.

I installed new front components in custom baffle ( I can make more if there is interest in them)

I replaced the read speakers as well.

I mounted the new hi amp where the OEM radio stuff was in the trunk.

Here is where I put my handsfree microphone

I will be posting all my OEM nav stuff in a FS thread. I have the full DSP setup with 16:9 MKIII navigation.

I also have my Dice bluetooth/ipod module that I no longer need.

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
nice job.
Could you put up a daytime screen shot please so I can see how it fits with the OE buttons?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sure, Please pardon the mess. This pic was from before I cleaned up my mess...

I can take some more pics when it gets light out again.

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
that looks very impressive, fits right in!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, it fit right in, but clearances were tight. The units we designed to fit into the radio cage of an earlier e39, so I made a cage out of MDF to stabilize it. That was probably the hardest part of the install!

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
Nice, got a good friend of mine who has a dynavin in an M3 and he has hacked the chyt out of it. As in the screen functions and what it will do from his phone etc.

·
Registered
6,940 Posts
What module are you using for the steering wheel controls?

Those speakers look VERY familiar. LOL. I used the same ones for my first install.

Nice job! Clean looking install! The baffles you made are very similar to the ones I just pulled out of my car and sold to Lunker325. I made some tracings of them in case anyone else wanted some. I might suggest using some dynamat to seal the back side of the woofer in the door. You will get much better mid bass response that way.....

Reactions: Hdhntr23

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Haha, thanks Timmay,

Your initial build was an inspiration for me. Those 6.5s and 5.25s should look very familiar to you! Right now I have disconnected the steering wheel controls due to their inability to act right. I have to controls that came with the Dynavin, but plan on going to the Pac audio controllers. Hopefully those interact better with the bus. Its kindof strange; the volume would just decide to go all the way up and make me lose my mind. I connected to the white/grey with yellow dots which is supposed to be the right wire...

Hdhntr, I plan on playing with the Igo software some once I get a working build. I should receive my new SD card in the mail today (hopefully)

I plan on making/buying some sound baffles to mount behind the 6.5s I need to ear apart the driver door again anyways becasue I suspect there is a broken clip on the window track. I also need to disassemble the powere mirrors because the driver one misses sometimes.

Reactions: timmay77

·
Registered
6,940 Posts
Did you have to "program" the steering wheel module? If you did, was the car running or did you just have the key turned on? The reason I ask is because my PAC unit acted very odd and did not work right in the beginning. I programmed it with the car off, only the acc key turned on. Come to find out, those modules operate on voltage differences. What I set with the car off, key in the acc position was not the same with the car running. With the car running, all of the voltages are higher because the alternator is running.

If you did program it with the key on and not the car, try programming it again with the car running. Since programming my module that way, I have not had a single issue.

Reactions: chowdah

·
Registered
576 Posts
what do you plug in to get the lights working on the dynavin? Mine is blacked out all the time I need to take it back to the guy who installed it for me

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Timmay, I used the module that came with the Dynavin. There should be no programming to it... Ill check it out though.

Ped, There is a wire on the back. I cant remember off hand what color it was, but I'll post it when I go look.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I believe the wire is labeled isn't it? Mine were. Nice job looks good. Would be cool to see how u installed the steering wheel controls at both ends. As well as your antenna. What year is your m5?

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
I would be interested in the baffles as long as they fit without modifying the door panel. did you have to use a bigger grill in the door or can you use the stock speaker grill?

·
Super Moderator
4,850 Posts
Slight OT: did you fab that cupholder too?

Have never seen a Dynavin in person. Might look you up the next time I visit family in Gaithersburg.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes, the wires off ot the back of the Synavin were all labeled as to their function.

The illumination wire is orange on the back of the dynavin and connects to the grey w/ red stripe in the dash.
The remote turn on off of the radio is brown. I ran a new remote power wire to the trunk to connected the to amp remote on and and the antenna on wire (white)

The White with yellow dots is the vehicle bus:

Tho,

The baffles require ZERO modification to the door. I am not about to cut up those beautiful door cards.

Here is where I put my GPS antenna. I plan on making it cleaner. Please pardon how dirty my M is right now...

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
In regards to my antenna, I ran a new coax cable to trunk from the new radio and plugged into the OEM one. I'll snap a pic of that as well.

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
If you havent thought of it yet, think about putting that antenna in your upper rear brake light housing. Thats where I put my Sirius antenna.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts