BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long time ago i heard it was possible to wire up a(special) dvd player and watch it through A NAVI system. Has anyone heard of this ?

Supposedly its true

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
the navsustem has the nav dvd drive.fisc. why would u ever do that? i men, on a screen THAT small? i wouldn't f**k with the syste,

--Dan

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Some people just want it to have. I heard about this when the portable DVD players came out. Maybe people want it to show off. Its not about the screen size I guess

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
I see two problems with it: 1) i think it's illegal to have a screen whcih the driver can see (inthe US)..then again, speeding is illegal too

2) the way that the screen is angled, only the driver gets a clear view of it. Backseat esp. has a slightly different picture.

--Dan

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
I would'nt go screwing around with the NAV system either.

An alternative set-up is AMG's S55 (NY auto show) which features video screens behind each headrest, and a DVD system integrated with the factory audio. It was absolutely fantastic. The system is built entirely by Alpine, very well done. Go to their website & check it out.

Apparently this is a dealer installed option available on any Mercedes.

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
In looked into the same Alpine setup for my LX470, and they can do it. I don't know if the M5 headrests are big enough, but they have all sorts of different tv setups. Impressive, but overkill IMO. If one were interested, I'd go this way. On another note, a friend of mine (former apple ceo Mike Spindler's son) has a Chevy Tahoe inwhich he has 5 dvd players and separate screens, etc. etc. If you REALLY want to do an impressive job, I can get the contact information for the people who did his.

--Dan

·
Registered
8 Posts
I know a dentist (reliable source) who lives in Seattle next to a ".comm" guy who has a M5. He told me that he watched a DVD movie on this guys NAV system

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
Ignorance will get you no where!: .com, please.

//Ignorance filter is now: ON

--Dan
"one of dem dere .com boys wid one of dem dere ///M5's"

·
Registered
8 Posts
C'mon guys ease up! Half of this website is full on antecdotal information. I have not confirmed my sources unsolicited comment, but think there must be some truth to the "rumour" since several of us have heard something similar. I will ask my friend if he can find out more about this.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Have TV option on my UK spec E39, there is an AV setting for one of the channels....perhaps there is a way to connect to this.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts