BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks,

I am brand new user of this board.

I will be...soon...a happy owner (I guess) of a Silverstone M5 to be delivered end October 05.
I can still modify my options list and I saw in some of the menber's cars screens in the back of the front seats. I guess it is a DVD player system or so?

Can someone tell me more about it? Price, efficiency..overall rating?
My BMW reseller didn't mention it at all.

03 BMW M3 SMG II Black Saphir
03 MB CLK 55 Silver
03 BMW M3 SMG II Silver
01 BMW Z3 COUPE M Blue
98 BMW M3 Silver

Xavier

·
Registered
34 Posts
xavier said:
Hi Folks,

I will be...soon...a happy owner (I guess) of a Silverstone M5 to be delivered end October 05.
I can still modify my options list and I saw in some of the menber's cars screens in the back of the front seats. I guess it is a DVD player system or so?

03 MB CLK 55 Silver
03 BMW M3 SMG II Silver
01 BMW Z3 COUPE M Blue
98 BMW M3 Silver

Xavier
Welcome to the board Xavier!

To the best of my knowledge it is not possible to have the DVD screens installed at the rear of the front seats by BMW directly in Switzerland ( at least my dealer couldn't). What you can have installed is a DVD system by BMW that is attached to the ceiling (only one screan). This option is done by the dealer after the car arrives. I don't know if it is any good though. :3:

·
Registered
100 Posts
xavier said:
Hi Folks,

03 MB CLK 55 Silver
03 BMW M3 SMG II Silver
01 BMW Z3 COUPE M Blue
98 BMW M3 Silver

Xavier
Anyone in the backseat should be to busy HOLDING ON to watch tv.:M5launch::byebye: CRG

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
RTm5 said:
Welcome to the board Xavier!

To the best of my knowledge it is not possible to have the DVD screens installed at the rear of the front seats by BMW directly in Switzerland ( at least my dealer couldn't). What you can have installed is a DVD system by BMW that is attached to the ceiling (only one screan). This option is done by the dealer after the car arrives. I don't know if it is any good though. :3:
Thks for your help but I think I will have to investigate a bit more cause I saw pictures from http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=58777 .. and it realy looks great...from my 2 babies.
Yes indeed here is the trick, my wife pushed me to sell my M3 SMGII cause I had only 2 doors whih is not that great when you have to manipulate 2 babyseats...now I will have 4 doors but still need to get some entertainemnt for the babies.

Xavier

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
xavier said:
Thks for your help but I think I will have to investigate a bit more cause I saw pictures from http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=58777 .. and it realy looks great...from my 2 babies.
Yes indeed here is the trick, my wife pushed me to sell my M3 SMGII cause I had only 2 doors whih is not that great when you have to manipulate 2 babyseats...now I will have 4 doors but still need to get some entertainemnt for the babies.

Xavier
There are 2 official solutions and no end of unofficial ones - the official choices are the Individual DVD system (EUR5000+), with which you get 2 nice big screens, one in the back of each seat. Alternatively, the regular BMW accessory is the single central roof-mounted item (might not be available with a sunroof, though).

Ashok had an "unofficial" solution installed, with screens in the back of each headrest.

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
Please be aware that the BMW Individual screens that you refer to are NOT available on the E60 M5.

These are the BMW Individual screens:

The reason is that they are only available on BMW Comfort Seats and Comfort Seats cannot be specified for the M5.

Additionally, I would not recommend the BMW flip down screen for the M5:

This system takes up a lot of ceiling space and is better suited for a tall vehicle like the X5 or X3.

I would recommend that you get an aftermarket system fitted. I had it done before delivery via my dealer for a couple of reasons:

(1) I did not have to leave the car for a few days with the installer after delivery. These systems take some time to install correctly. Better to get it done before you get the car so that you can check everything before officially taking delivery.

(2) If there is ever any problem with the installation, my dealer is responsible. I'd much rather deal with him than directly with some aftermarket audio company.

FYI, the whole system including twin screens in headrests, facility to watch movies on the I-drive screen, 2 cordless headsets, PS2 interface, 6DVD changer and fitting (labour) cost me 3900 Euros.

I think this was a very good price. I had some quotes for a similar aftermarket installation here in the UK as high as £4000.

It's a very personal preference so I wouldn't criticise anyone who opts for a different setup.

Similar discussion on this subject here:

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=40230&highlight=DVD

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Really? Wow, I guess they really screwed up with those Individual rear screens - they're not going to sell many if they're only available on non-M5 E60s sold in Europe only (and not on E61s, either)! What a waste of engineering effort! Fairly silly that the comfort seats cannot be specified in an Individual M5, anyway - I wonder why not?

Unfortunately, not all dealers are willing to provide an alternative solution...

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
I imagine that Comfort Seats could technically be fitted but there's not enough demand for them. I had them on my E39 M5 and I know of less than a dozen other E39 M5s that had them. It's just not worth the cost for BMW to tool up and offer an option that so few people select. It's the same for steel sunroofs - only a handful were ever fitted (most people chose glass or nothing) so the steel roof option is no longer offered.

Anyway, just look at those Individual screens. Sure the screen size is big but that housing is hideous (and takes up valuable legroom).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts