BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks,

I know there are many threads on this and I've tried to follow them plus the other various sites they point to ... However, I'm still a little confused over what I already have and what I need ... I explain:

The car is '99 (Swiss) and has a 4:3 screen in it. It also has TV tuner (it was demonstrated to me by picking up a local TV station).

The TV screen goes off when I move (seems reasonable) although since I have an older MKII (I think...), I can use the "trick" (involving pressing/holding buttons for a while) that I found here to disable the motion sensor and have it on all the time (not suggesting it's a good thing or I actually will but ...).

Now (hopefully) someone could just clarify the following:

What do I need to plug in a DVD (or whatever) into the TV module? Does my unit already have standard RCA jacks that I can plug into or do I need a special cable or additional elements (apart from the DVD player obviously)?

If (in a moment of madness
) I decided to upgrade the screen to 16:9, would the TV tuner I already have cope with this or would it still display 4:3 on just a part of the screen?

I ask to clarify since some of the comments I've seen suggest that TV was not included in the US market (and others?) and the packages I've viewed seemed to assume you don't have it.

Thanks for any "input" (pun intended),

Regards,

Gary.

Still don't pick up the beast until next week but I'm already preparing my shopping list ... :)

·
Registered
204 Posts
I'm with you GRP, I have the same in My M5, in Dubai, and I want to upgrade to a 16:9 screen, keep the TV tuner, and find a way to run DVD into the car, I've looked at all the websites, and try as I have to piece it all toghether, still don't know if it can be done. I'm hoping there's someone out there who has done the same, and can give us detailed info... everywhere else is just too vague, I don't want to spend big $$$ for somthing that is not going to work when I'm all done.

Oh well, I'll be patient, maybe someone will see this post one day and help us out!

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
grp said:
Folks,

I ask to clarify since some of the comments I've seen suggest that TV was not included in the US market (and others?) and the packages I've viewed seemed to assume you don't have it.

Thanks for any "input" (pun intended),

Regards,

Gary.
I don't have TV in my US model M5, and haven't seen a M5 here yet that has it. Hope you are enjoying your car. Were you able to find any helpful info on your install?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts