BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up my 2001 M5 on Tuesday It had 1 mile on the odometer when it rolled off truck (if yours has more at delivery, somebody drove it! The PDI tech will put a few more on, but in my case I drove the car on the test with the tech in the passenger seat).

My 2001 was built with the Dunlop 8080s and after driving 97 miles on those tires, I couldn't wait to get them off the car. A brand new set of Michelin Pilot Sports are now on the car. This car feels completely different with the Michelins. In my opinion, the Pilots make the M5 feel MUCH more planted and balanced. The Dunlops make the car feel more top heavy and less stable than than the Michelins. I am amazed that BMW sources 2 different tires with completely different "feel" characteristics. This car is a lot better when equipped with the Michelin Pilot Sports. For the record, I had 11,000 miles of Michelin driving experience on my 2000 M5 and went through 2 sets of Dunlop 2000s on my '98 540i/6. If you have a '00 or '01 with Dunlops, burn those out and try the Pilot Sports next.

MJ
'01 Anthracite.Black Luxury.Burl.M Audio

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
What made you do the switch? Was it someone's advice or your own idea? Also, what did you get for the 2000M5 on trade or sale? Thanks, Jim

·
Registered
5,239 Posts
Can't delete the post so I'm editing. I didn't read the last sentence which answered my question. So - don't read this.

[This message has been edited by greg (edited 27 October 2000).]

1 - 3 of 3 Posts