BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 03 M5 was shipped from the factory with a Dinan chip and SP8080E tires. My question:Can I assume the factory tires are good for 190 mph since they are factory tires on a factory car? Yes,I have driven the M5 at 190 mph and plan to do it agaqin next month! Guys I do need help with the question. Where are the experts?How can I secure documentation stating the ZR tires have been factory tested to 190 mph?

Cheers,

Roland

·
Registered
76 Posts
Ruf-Racer said:
My 03 M5 was shipped from the factory with a Dinan chip and SP8080E tires. My question:Can I assume the factory tires are good for 190 mph since they are factory tires on a factory car? Yes,I have driven the M5 at 190 mph and plan to do it agaqin next month! Guys I do need help with the question. Where are the experts?How can I secure documentation stating the ZR tires have been factory tested to 190 mph?
I don't think you have to assume anything. What are the exact numbers after the tire size on the side of the tire? For example, if the tire size is 275/35ZR18 95<b>Y</b> the Z indicates a speed rating of something in excess of 149 MPH and the Y after the 95 load rating further defines the maximum speed rating as 186 MPH.

See here: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/general/speed.jsp

·
Registered
12,866 Posts
Ruf-Racer said:

Cheers,

Roland
This should be helpful:

Below is a listing of common speed ratings:

Q
=
99 MPH, 160km/h

S
=
112 MPH, 180km/h

T
=
118 MPH, 190km/h

U
=
124 MPH, 200km/h

H
=
130 MPH, 210km/h

V
=
149 MPH, 240km/h

Z
=
149 MPH, 240km/h and over

W
=
168 MPH, 270km/h

Y
=
186 MPH, 300km/h

These are sustained speed ratings, so for example, H is sustained speed of 130 mph. Z was originally over 149mph and was the highest rating. Since then, W and Y have been added.
Regards,
Jerry
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies Guys. I do understand speed r the ZR rating applied to vaqrious tires. Here is the point: Porsche GT2 and other Porsches as well as BMW are shipped with ZR rated tires. Since the GT2 and other vehicles go way faster that the ZR "tested to 149 mph" rating why would I not assume the factory does not have test data to support what they ship? My factory Ruf CTR was shipped with ZR tires and the car goes 212 mph. I happen to have access to Pirelli test data for the P Zero tires,I don't have data for the Dunlop. That is what I really need.heers,

R

·
Registered
76 Posts
Ruf-Racer said:
Thanks for the replies Guys. I do understand speed r the ZR rating applied to vaqrious tires. Here is the point: Porsche GT2 and other Porsches as well as BMW are shipped with ZR rated tires. Since the GT2 and other vehicles go way faster that the ZR "tested to 149 mph" rating why would I not assume the factory does not have test data to support what they ship? My factory Ruf CTR was shipped with ZR tires and the car goes 212 mph. I happen to have access to Pirelli test data for the P Zero tires,I don't have data for the Dunlop. That is what I really need.heers,

R
The "r" has nothing to do with the speed rating. Reread the replies and the link I posted for your answers.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The SP8080E is indeed tested by Goodyear to 186 mph! Gotta love the factory support.
>>
Dear Roland,

Thank you for contacting our web site.

The Dunlop SP 8080E is a Z speed rated tire, which is capable of withstanding the heat of high performance driving to 186+ mph.

Again, thank you for contacting us and have a good day.

Eric Kulton
Consumer Relations <<

Cheers,

R

·
Registered
12,866 Posts
Ruf-Racer said:
The SP8080E is indeed tested by Goodyear to 186 mph! Gotta love the factory support.
>>
Dear Roland,

Thank you for contacting our web site.

The Dunlop SP 8080E is a Z speed rated tire, which is capable of withstanding the heat of high performance driving to 186+ mph.

Again, thank you for contacting us and have a good day.

Eric Kulton
Consumer Relations <<

Cheers,

R
Interesting. A Z rating is for "149+ mph" while a Y rating would specifically be for "186 mph". I hope Consumer Relations is checking in with Production and Engineering on occasion. ;)
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
76 Posts
gsfent said:
Interesting. A Z rating is for "149+ mph" while a Y rating would specifically be for "186 mph". I hope Consumer Relations is checking in with Production and Engineering on occasion. ;)
Regards,
Jerry
The Dunlop 8080E that comes on the M5 from the BMW factory is Y rated. It has the code "95<b>Y</b>" after the size designation. I'm not sure I understand why there are any questions left - what am I missing?

·
Registered
12,866 Posts
mdernst said:
The Dunlop 8080E that comes on the M5 from the BMW factory is Y rated. It has the code "95<b>Y</b>" after the size designation. I'm not sure I understand why there are any questions left - what am I missing?
The quote from the Dunlop rep was that the tire was a Z rated tire. If Y rated, then 186 claim is appropriate. As I indicated, Customer Relations needs to check in with Engineering a little more often so they pass along the correct info to customers. :wroom:
Regards,
Jerry

1 - 9 of 9 Posts