BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided on the tires a few weeks ago and finally got them put on today. Much stickier then the PS2's I had on before. Although that's an unfair comparison because they were pretty worn down. Well the car actually hooks up in 1st gear now, and the handling seems better - have yet to test full capibilities. They seem like they are wider then the PS2's in the same 245 & 275 widths. I will give a better review after a few thousand miles with them.

Also finally installed my front splitter. It is just painted black with a few clearcoats on after. I like it because it is very subtle, not crazy "look at me" style.

Lovin' my car more and more now! :thumbsup:

Attachments

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Oh yeah, I gave the PS2's one final hurrah:hihi::M5launch:
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2kj41MUzr1U&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2kj41MUzr1U&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Nice choice in rubber. Where did you end up purchasing and how much?

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I got them from discount tire. They matched tirerack, and included mount/balance. Total with tax I believe was $950. And I got 6 months no interest! lol

·
Registered
651 Posts
Are the fronts a different tread pattern than the rears?

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I didn't even notice until right now when I went out to the garage and checked them. They gave me the wrong tires for the fronts. At least they are the right size. I guess I'm going back to discount tomorrow. :mad:

Thanks!

Although the Direzza Sport Z1 is not an R compound.

Hey c4m5, what pressure do you run your Z1's at? How do you like them so far? I like mine (well, the rears at least :7::rolleyes:) so far...

·
Registered
651 Posts
I didn't even notice until right now when I went out to the garage and checked them. They gave me the wrong tires for the fronts. At least they are the right size. I guess I'm going back to discount tomorrow. :mad:

Thanks!

Although the Direzza Sport Z1 is not an R compound.

Hey c4m5, what pressure do you run your Z1's at? How do you like them so far? I like mine (well, the rears at least :7::rolleyes:) so far...
I like them very much, I have not checked the pressure lately I started at 38/36 front/rear.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well they put the correct tires on today.

I think I will lower my pressures a bit as well. They set them at 42psi all around. I keep getting the tire defect message - I guess I could just reset it.

Well thanks again for everyone who noticed! I probably wouldn't have noticed for a few days at least.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
let us know how you like them. how much was the set?

also were and for how much did you get the spliter? what material is it made of?

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
he got 4 of them for about $950. :)

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
let us know how you like them. how much was the set?

also were and for how much did you get the spliter? what material is it made of?
As M55555 said, the tires were right about $950 mounted/balanced/tax/etc.

The front splitter was one of the cheapies off ebay I believe it's made of fiberglass. I think it was only like $65 bucks and $40 for shipping. It was more of an expirement to see how it looks and possibly order a carbon fiber one later. But it's ok, I think I like it.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I also just got a set of these Dunlop Direzza Z1 today. Have not mounted them yet though. Did notice the tread depth seemed a bit shallow compared to the Yoko Neovas I have on another car. But these are about $400 cheaper than the Neovas (and you cannot get the Neovas in the right size anyway).

Got my set from Tire Rack for about $875 including shipping, tires only.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I also just got a set of these Dunlop Direzza Z1 today. Have not mounted them yet though. Did notice the tread depth seemed a bit shallow compared to the Yoko Neovas I have on another car. But these are about $400 cheaper than the Neovas (and you cannot get the Neovas in the right size anyway).

Got my set from Tire Rack for about $875 including shipping, tires only.
Nice! Yeah, I had my local discount tire match the price and got the hook up on mount/balance as well. Hopefully you know somewhere to mount/balance them for you. I've heard a lot of the major tire places will charge a pretty penny if you didn't purchase from them.

You will enjoy them! :M5launch: (like that but the tires will hook up better).:haha:

·
Registered
409 Posts
Nice! Yeah, I had my local discount tire match the price and got the hook up on mount/balance as well. Hopefully you know somewhere to mount/balance them for you. I've heard a lot of the major tire places will charge a pretty penny if you didn't purchase from them.

You will enjoy them! :M5launch: (like that but the tires will hook up better).:haha:
I have a good local tire shop mount and balance for me for about $15 each. They are also a Tire Rack dealer, so they don't mind me bringing in the rubber. I always order my own rubber, because none of the local dealers carry the high performance rubber in stock, and when they do, they charge an arm and a leg. Who cares if you get free mount and balance if they want $100 each more for the tires? Plus, if they don't have them in stock, it takes them just as long to get them as it does me.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Very true! Well, post some reviews when you get them. Those might be my next tires depending on the life of these ones.

·
Registered
2002 M5, Imola / Imola
1,696 Posts
Does anyone have anymore experience with the Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Spec, like the OP fitted to his car? I am shopping around for some sticky summer tires and these seem to be pretty good.

How does this tire compare to the PS2?

Any input is appreciated.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Does anyone have anymore experience with the Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Spec, like the OP fitted to his car? I am shopping around for some sticky summer tires and these seem to be pretty good.

How does this tire compare to the PS2?

Any input is appreciated.
I think they are at least as sticky as the PS2's I had ( 3 sets on 2 cars)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts