BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am dumping my 2013 M5 for a 2014 F10 M5. Kind of like the good old E39 days, I am nicely right-side-up in my BMW/FS lease and have positive equity in the '13 that my dealer is buying from me and rolling that equity into the '14. Just got the 111 status allocation Friday and built the new unit.

I am exiting a 6-speed manual M5 which has been enjoyable. I do enjoy a clutch and manual interaction with the car and I have spec'd the 6MT for the '14....BUT I am now considering changing to the DCT. Any board members have a 6-speed manual and driven the DCT? Thoughts? I had a '06 and '08 E60 M5 with SMG and I hated that clunky, chunk of tranny. I know the new DCT is worlds-apart different. I still have about 10 days to switch my options in 111 and early 112 status.

Love to get some feedback...

Thanks.

MJ

·
Registered
24 Posts
Went from a manual M3 to the DCT M5 and will never buy another manual. You do have a little more control over the car with a manual but what good is that if I'm getting passed anyway.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
I've driven the 6MT F10 M5 and have owned my DCT F10 M5 now for about 10 months. The DCT is light years ahead of the 6MT. When I drove the 6MT, M5 just seemed like it was missing something. The 6MT just didn't match characteristics of the Twin Turbo V8 engine. The best analogy I have ever heard is why would you want to buy a Ferrari 458 Coupe with a 6MT? The DCT in the 458 is what makes the 458 so fast! It's just not the same Ferrari without the DCT.

To be more technical. I felt that the clutch travel was too long. The shift knob throws were too long as well, and that the notches for the stick weren't that smooth. 6 Speed Manual technology isn't what BMW has been developing these last 6-8 years. They only threw the 6MT unit in the F10 M5 for us Americans, no other country can get them, so how much time do you think they spent perfecting the transmission? Lol!

The DCT is a thing of beauty. Ok, that's all I have to say about that.

The real question is, did you order the Competition Package?!

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I've driven the 6MT F10 M5 and have owned my DCT F10 M5 now for about 10 months. The DCT is light years ahead of the 6MT. When I drove the 6MT, M5 just seemed like it was missing something. The 6MT just didn't match characteristics of the Twin Turbo V8 engine. The best analogy I have ever heard is why would you want to buy a Ferrari 458 Coupe with a 6MT? The DCT in the 458 is what makes the 458 so fast! It's just not the same Ferrari without the DCT.

To be more technical. I felt that the clutch travel was too long. The shift knob throws were too long as well, and that the notches for the stick weren't that smooth. 6 Speed Manual technology isn't what BMW has been developing these last 6-8 years. They only threw the 6MT unit in the F10 M5 for us Americans, no other country can get them, so how much time do you think they spent perfecting the transmission? Lol!

To answer your question here is the car I have on order:

XXX- Exterior Color
X3SW- Black full Merino Leather
DCT Double Clutch Transmission
ZCP- Competition Package
Sub 2NZ Style 343 Wheels
ZLP- LED Lighting Package
4BN- Dark Wood Trim

No Driver Assist or Executive Package. Car is still in 111 status.

MJ

·
Registered
707 Posts
the dct can be a little clumsy also sometimes. especially if your in auto mode and hit the go pedal, expecting to well - go, you get a little hesitation before it downshifts and you are off. (eg. 2nd to first)

as effieient as teh dct is, it will never yield the emotional driving experience of the e60 smg in s6 at wot shifts. in terms of an emotional driving experience, there is no comparison.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
To answer your question here is the car I have on order:

XXX- Exterior Color
X3SW- Black full Merino Leather
DCT Double Clutch Transmission
ZCP- Competition Package
Sub 2NZ Style 343 Wheels
ZLP- LED Lighting Package
4BN- Dark Wood Trim

No Driver Assist or Executive Package. Car is still in 111 status.

MJ
Dude, are you sure you can live without at least Comfort Access and the Heads Up Display in the Executive Package?! The other stuff in the Exec Package is nice to have like, heated steering wheel and heated rear seats, but the HUD and Comfort Access are musts for me.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dude, are you sure you can live without at least Comfort Access and the Heads Up Display in the Executive Package?! The other stuff in the Exec Package is nice to have like, heated steering wheel and heated rear seats, but the HUD and Comfort Access are musts for me.
Let me take you back to my post from May 9, 2012. I still feel the same today with one more additional comment regarding HUD -- I found on the E60 HUD, the display was virtually wiped out by the polarized sunglasses I wear here in Florida.

9 MAY 2012

I have ordered my car, it's in the order bank and my dealer got this email from BMW/NA today:

Gentlemen,

Each of you have an order(s) in your order bank that needs your attention.

Please take a look at your order bank for M5 and decide if your client still wants the 322 or 655 option.

If so, you must add the ZEC pkg. to the order.

If you do not add the ZEC pkg. the 322 & 655 option will be removed from the order, via headquarters.

Sorry for this inconvenience.

I want 322 Comfort Access which should be standard on a $90,000 car (655 is satellite radio). I originally ordered 322 as a stand-alone option which was originally accepted and now it's being rejected. I am being bullied into a $5500 package with options I don't want.

ZEC is the Executive Package which includes:

248-Heated Steering Wheel (I need that in Florida like snow tires)
316-Power Tailgate (don't need)
322-Comfort Access (WANT)
323-Soft Close Doors (Don't like)
416-Power Rear Shade (used ZERO times on previous cars)
453-Front Ventilated Seats (thought they sucked on E60)
496- Heated Rear Seats (see snow tires comment)
4NB-4-Zone Automatic Climate Control (everyone in car will enjoy the climate I choose and like it)
610-Head-Up Display (have never really used it)
655- Satellite Radio (terrestrial is fine by me)
6NR-BMW Apps (I ordered and accepted as a stand-alone)

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Let me take you back to my post from May 9, 2012. I still feel the same today with one more additional comment regarding HUD -- I found on the E60 HUD, the display was virtually wiped out by the polarized sunglasses I wear here in Florida.

9 MAY 2012

I have ordered my car, it's in the order bank and my dealer got this email from BMW/NA today:

Gentlemen,

Each of you have an order(s) in your order bank that needs your attention.

Please take a look at your order bank for M5 and decide if your client still wants the 322 or 655 option.

If so, you must add the ZEC pkg. to the order.

If you do not add the ZEC pkg. the 322 & 655 option will be removed from the order, via headquarters.

Sorry for this inconvenience.

I want 322 Comfort Access which should be standard on a $90,000 car (655 is satellite radio). I originally ordered 322 as a stand-alone option which was originally accepted and now it's being rejected. I am being bullied into a $5500 package with options I don't want.

ZEC is the Executive Package which includes:

248-Heated Steering Wheel (I need that in Florida like snow tires)
316-Power Tailgate (don't need)
322-Comfort Access (WANT)
323-Soft Close Doors (Don't like)
416-Power Rear Shade (used ZERO times on previous cars)
453-Front Ventilated Seats (thought they sucked on E60)
496- Heated Rear Seats (see snow tires comment)
4NB-4-Zone Automatic Climate Control (everyone in car will enjoy the climate I choose and like it)
610-Head-Up Display (have never really used it)
655- Satellite Radio (terrestrial is fine by me)
6NR-BMW Apps (I ordered and accepted as a stand-alone)
Yup that's certainly true. Polarized Sunglasses definitely wipe out the HUD, which is why I stopped wearing Polarized Sunglasses here in Sunny Cali. I recently drove an F10 M5 without the ZEC and I definitely felt like the M5 was missing something which to me helped make it more of an M5, the Heads Up Display. The ///M Mode in the HUD is phenominal. I definitely did not like driving my friends F10 M5 without the HUD, but I 100% agree with your previous statement that BMW seems to have bullied the customer into buying the full ZEC even if they only want a couple of things, which I think is sad. I absolutely think it's complete BS that we can't order the HUD as a stand alone option. The Comfort Access I've had on all of my BMW's since my very first one, a 2006 330i. Definitely could not live without the 322 either. Even my friend who owned the F10 M5 without the ZEC drove my F10 M5 and commented on how nice it was to have those amenities. Also I find the Power Tailgate super nice and useful and the front ventilated seats in the F10 work 100x better than the E60's comfort seats.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
I was a Die hard 6MT until my injuries in the military caught up with me. I have built my F10 M5 and was considering manual only because I felt that is how an M car should be until this past weekend........ I drove a 2010 M3 with the DCT. I was sold and blown away. The shifts in that car was amazing. I scared the $#it out of the sales man with how I was driving the car i.e. taking the on ramp like one is suppose to and dropping it to reach the speed limit ASAP...... I will have to say the DCT is awesome and the one I drove was 3-4 years old with 33k miles on it and it was 10x better then my E60 M5 with the shifting and over all transmission feel. I will get my F10 with the DCT and be happy as a hog in slop!!!!!!!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Yup that's certainly true. Polarized Sunglasses definitely wipe out the HUD, which is why I stopped wearing Polarized Sunglasses here in Sunny Cali.
Same here. I love polarized sunglasses, I've been wearing Maui Jims since I started flying 15 years ago, but they just don't work with displays. Cameras, iPhones, HUD...All I have to take off my sunglasses to see. I'm switching to unpolarized Ray Bans. On the plus side they're $150 and not $300.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I went DCT over 6MT out of respect for the designers' intent. +1 for the comments relating to all out performance.

But the connection with the driving experience suffers. If I didn't have other cars with 'proper' manuals I'd be regretting the DCT decision, but it does fit the car nicely. I personally think I shift better (not faster, but better) than the computer particularly on downshifts and start up.

If you live to interact with the car and the road and you don't care if the next dude can hit 100 km/hr 0.1s faster than you, then get the 6MT. If you value faster lap times and 0-100 times, then go DCT.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I'm driving a 2002 e39 M5 at the moment but had a 2011 335is DTC for a year. It's a great transmission but as others have said, it's no PDK and frequently surprises you since it has a mind of it's own.

Historically, I've enjoyed my 914/6, E30 M3 and R8 MT6 so I dumped the 335is DTC. It would have been perfect with a MT6. Moot point now in the E39 M5 since it's better yet. Good luck deciding.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
I'm driving a 2002 e39 M5 at the moment but had a 2011 335is DTC for a year. It's a great transmission but as others have said, it's no PDK and frequently surprises you since it has a mind of it's own.

Historically, I've enjoyed my 914/6, E30 M3 and R8 MT6 so I dumped the 335is DTC. It would have been perfect with a MT6. Moot point now in the E39 M5 since it's better yet. Good luck deciding.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

What is the 335is DTC?

·
Registered
7,044 Posts
Guys!

What is your opinion about the auto rev match in the 6MT. How good is it?

I would assume it makes the 6MT a lot more fun than a normal 6MT.

I am dumping my 2013 M5 for a 2014 F10 M5. Kind of like the good old E39 days, I am nicely right-side-up in my BMW/FS lease and have positive equity in the '13 that my dealer is buying from me and rolling that equity into the '14. Just got the 111 status allocation Friday and built the new unit.

I am exiting a 6-speed manual M5 which has been enjoyable. I do enjoy a clutch and manual interaction with the car and I have spec'd the 6MT for the '14....BUT I am now considering changing to the DCT. Any board members have a 6-speed manual and driven the DCT? Thoughts? I had a '06 and '08 E60 M5 with SMG and I hated that clunky, chunk of tranny. I know the new DCT is worlds-apart different. I still have about 10 days to switch my options in 111 and early 112 status.

Love to get some feedback...

Thanks.

MJ

1 - 18 of 18 Posts