BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Embarking on an upgrade of the nav and sound system...a well worn path I know.

A really dumb question for which I couldn’t find a clear answer.

If you go full aftermarket, do you lose OBC capability in the dash as well? Like miles to empty or consumption?

Or is it only on the head unit? (Which frankly I don’t care about that much - my e28m5 is much more rudimentary in this regard so upgrading her sound was much simpler!)

Thanks much 🙏🏽👍🏽

Kamran

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
The newer units that support a Resler interface retain all the goodies, both in the HU and cluster. Avin Avant 3 and 4, the newer Eonon's (not up on my models here, @Rontgen has a great DIY on here about his experience with his) and I think, but am not sure, the new Dynavin HUs do as well.

I have an Avant3 and it works great. I'd get a 4, but can't be bothered to re-run a new Fakra cable...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks very much @mgdmb. Looks like the Avant 4 is the best plug n play option here.

One thing that’s critical to me is retaining some oem functionality so it’s good to hear that the cluster will still work!

Has anyone installed the front camera? Would love to see some pics and pointers on install. Front PDC feels beyond my capabilities lol.

Thanks to all as always

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
I don't know anyone personally that has installed a front camera, but I'm sure that path has been trodden before...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts