BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a feeling the P.O. (whom I do not know) changed out the chip in this car. My car has no governor or rev limiter and I thought the U.S. cars had it (and yes, I found out under controlled circumstances...don't want to revisit all of that recent nightmare). Do the US M5's have a governor/rev limiter?

So if my car has had the chip changed, I am curious if I have had extra horsepower all along. My car is incredibly fast and breaks loose constantly in first or second gear and kicks on the DSC Traction Control all the damn time, but I always equated that to just being a 400HP E39 M5.

I would love to know but don't have a clue how to find out. Is it in one of the test sequences we can do in the trip computer? Can I simply look at the chip and tell? Where is it located?

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
a chip is not a chip per se, just a reflash of the existing software on the DME.
If you have no governer/rev limiter then you have had a reflash at some point to remove it, and probably remap your throttle curve/response.
US M5s did indeed come restricted.

·
Registered
691 Posts
. . .My car has no governor or rev limiter . . .

I'd be shocked if you didn't have a limiter, even a "chipped" car has a limiter, allbeit at a higher RPM-- Dinan puts a sticker on the driver's side door jam signifying the change, KH

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
I'd be shocked if you didn't have a limiter, even a "chipped" car has a limiter, allbeit at a higher RPM-- Dinan puts a sticker on the driver's side door jam signifying the change, KH
Don't count on a sticker. I personally know of two cars with no sticker. I was present for the Dinan software upgrades.

Dinan software raises the idle to around 700-750rpm, a dead giveaway!

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Dinan software raises the idle to around 700-750rpm, a dead giveaway!
You Sure?

Correct me if I'm wrong but;

1. I thought Dinan raises not to 700-750rpm, but more like 900rpm?

2. This also would be stage II dinan software or better- the idle increase is for ltwt flywheel noise on idle- IIRC. Idle increase is not included with their stage I.

3. Stage I software would "remove" the 155mph barrier aka limiter and use more aggressive throttle response curves. IIRC- I think that's it...

I have the door sticker.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
171 to be exact...controlled environment. Had rpm's left but ran out of room. If there is a limiter/governor on my car it is above that.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I will check for a sticker but as many times as I have detailed my car I do not remember seeing one.

What is the guestimated hp increase from Dinan Stage I or the Powerchip?

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
I thought Dinan raises not to 700-750rpm, but more like 900rpm?
BMWMPRW, I will have to double check. My recollection was around 500rpm oem and around 750rpm after the stage 2 software. It could well be higher.

Will fire up the beast soon and try to get a more accurate reading.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
171 to be exact...controlled environment. Had rpm's left but ran out of room. If there is a limiter/governor on my car it is above that.
Due to recent events Thank you for mentioning "controlled environment"...

Okay Enuff of the saftey SH#T......

171mph W/more engine left???......CHIPPED!!!

·
Registered
12,961 Posts
Most of the chip tuners can adjust idle speed and rev limits. Most use stock 650 rpm idle speed, but will raise on request to account for LWF or UUC 11 inch clutch or equivalent. Dinan also raises rev limit to 7300, generally to compensate for speed in gears using a 3.45 diff. Check their website for what is included in each stage.

PC can also raise the rev limit and is not limited to 7300, but above a certain number they want you to sign off on any damage due to increased rev limit (not an unreasonable request IMHO).

Conforti is the new kid on the M5 block so I don't know as much about his setup, but board sponsor Turner Motorsports is listed as a vendor. And Jim C is a very well known engine managment tuner in the BMW world, he has always put out a first class product.

Active Autowerks and Evosport are two other tuners that come to mind that have product for our cars.

Most tuners work on adjusting the fuel and timing maps for the increases, not sure if they do any work on the electronics that control VANOS for the standard setups.

Other than Conforti, I don't think any of the other chip tuners advertise a hp increase, There may be a 3-5 hp increase, not enough to justify the reflash. The benefits are much better part throttle response across the entire rev range.
Regards,
Jerry

Reactions: BMWMPWR

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Holy Crap Jerryhmmm

What don't you know :thumbsup:

IRISH M5- I'm with ya now on the RPMs, but yes this change is not included in Dinan Stage I software.

I need coffee...

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Due to recent events Thank you for mentioning "controlled environment"...
Not trying to get off topic, but I would say a runway is a much more controlled environment than a public highway. Those kids in FL made a terrible and costly mistake and many families suffered dearly.

·
Registered
3,409 Posts
What recent events?
http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=111545

Dinan puts a sticker on the driver's side door jam signifying the change, KH
i had the opportunity this morning to check, and the only sticker i have on the door is a red sticker with out any writing. unless its that there is nothing indicating dinan software. i know for a fact i have it, bc the previous owner installed it, I contacted dinan and they confirmed. i then did the dealer recall on the DME, and had the dealer reflash the DME/ECU.

i am not trying to discredit your post, however maybe it depends on who does the flashing of the software?

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
the only sticker i have on the door is a red sticker with out any writing.
Hmmm

U shaped, redish orange, i was thinking white.

You are probably right tho- probably depends if they remembered or even made the motions to put on the sticker. I have however seen Dinan stickers in the engine bay:dunno:

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Hmmm

U shaped, redish orange, i was thinking white.

You are probably right tho- probably depends if they remembered or even made the motions to put on the sticker. I have however seen Dinan stickers in the engine bay:dunno:
Yeah, I have my Dinan S1 package sticker in the engine bay.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Not trying to get off topic, but I would say a runway is a much more controlled environment than a public highway. Those kids in FL made a terrible and costly mistake and many families suffered dearly.
I didn't mean those kids weren't in a safe environment. I simply thanked him for mentioning safe environment because it shows, SAFETY was on his mind at 171MPH!!! Alot of people wouldn't post controlled Environment After posting about their high speeds.
If you followed up with my responses on the topic of those kids. I defended them when other members tried to discredit them...

Once again thank you OP for MENTIONING "safe Environment"

1 - 20 of 35 Posts