BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking for an exhaust (muffler only) for my M6. I've seen several ones for sale for the M5.

1)would a muffler made for the M5 fit and M6 (assuming the exhaust shop can properly bend the pipes)?

2)the M6 tips have a slight offset to them. Would the M5 exhaust tips (ie: meisterschaft or eisenmann) look weird?

3)How important is it to use stainless steel pipes to connect the mufflers (ie: would the galvanized stuff regular exhaust shops use rust very easily?)?

Thanks for not bashing for these questions (couldn't find the answer "searching")

·
8,369 Posts
To the best of my knowledge - M5 and M6 exhaust set up are different. The bends of the tubes and the mounts of the exhaust cans are not the same.

I suggest you go to Beastpower Motorsports website and check on the exhaust their carry and they have photos there on what M5 and M6 set up looks like.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
At least with RPI brand exhaust it's the same rear section they use between M5 and M6 in their kits....according to Eloy anyways.

Unless the muffler shop you go to can mandrel bend pipes, I wouldn't use them. A lot of shops that use galvanized pipes also only crush bend pipes, which again I would stay away from. The galvanized stuff should hold up....but I still wouldn't use it. Go with stainless!

Dumb question, but why not just get an exhaust specific for the M6? There are companies out there that make just the rear section for the M6

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
No misunderstanding....
I contacted Eloy directly when i was installing my exhaust because only the inside hanger rods on the mufflers reached the rubber isolators. The outside hanger rods were way too short to reach the rubber isolators. He said this is normal on the m6 and the outer hangers don't get used. He said the outer hangers get used on m5 applications

·
Registered
7,038 Posts
I would have to disagree with that :cheers:

No misunderstanding....
I contacted Eloy directly when i was installing my exhaust because only the inside hanger rods on the mufflers reached the rubber isolators. The outside hanger rods were way too short to reach the rubber isolators. He said this is normal on the m6 and the outer hangers don't get used. He said the outer hangers get used on m5 applications

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
That's what he told me....lol :cheers:

They look exactly the same to me.....

One of mine after painting.......

A pic I found in the M5 section posted by member TR930. The one on the right side is identical to mine.....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts