BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

So I've only had my M5 for about a week and a half now and haven't needed a cupholder yet. But I'm sure one of these days the wifey and I will be taking a Saturday morning trip somewhere and stop at Starbucks, and the stock M5 interior will be ill-equipped to handle our warm beverage-toting sitch.

I've seen the threads on the TEC cupholder and the ultimate cupholders, and those options are okay looking, but 'm not too thrilled about either. Has anyone put a cupholder (or a dual cupholder) in the center armrest? My car has a phone there now, which ain't gonna get used. Once I take that out I'll be left with a plastic channel there. One could easily imagine a replacement plastic channel that has two round slots (and maybe some spring loaded "beverage holder tensioners" inside) to hold cups.

Has anyone done this? I've searched, but didn't find any.

This morning I paid attention to my right arm/elbow during normal driving/shifting and found that location would be ideal for cups, as it's more out-of-the way than even the TEC solution. Ideas, discussion? If no one has done this before I'll try it. I'll probably get a dual cupholder from a junked 2005+ Audi A4's center console and try to do some fabrication to integrate it with the M5 armrest...

Brian

·
Registered
12,913 Posts
Interesting idea. Do you think the well is deep enough?

You can try Audi, or go to Pep Boys or Autozone, or equivalent, and see if the "cup holder extender" will work. Basically, it has a base the size of a soda can on the bottom, but has a larger opening on top. If the base fits in the well, then the upper portion will have enough around it to hold your beverage.

I have one in my other fine German car, just not sure what they call them.
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Interesting idea. Do you think the well is deep enough?
Oh, definitely. Look here: http://www.bmwtips.com/tipsntricks/Armrest/armrest.htm
There's all kinds of room under there! (for a storage bin, etc.) I'm not saying the plastic "phone channel" is deep enough, as I'm assuming that will need to be gutted/replaced. But there's definitely room enough beneath the armrest surface.

You can try Audi, or go to Pep Boys or Autozone, or equivalent, and see if the "cup holder extender" will work. Basically, it has a base the size of a soda can on the bottom, but has a larger opening on top. If the base fits in the well, then the upper portion will have enough around it to hold your beverage.

I have one in my other fine German car, just not sure what they call them.
Got pics? Sounds like that might work, or something like it...

Brian

·
Registered
571 Posts
The link with the center arm rest storage area is really very interesting and a very viable option. I am always looking for more storage area.Thanks for the link.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Damn! Now I'm thinking seriously about adding the storage compartment. The writeup is great and the install appears to be really simple. How many of you have actually done this and what was your cost for parts. I know the link is a little old but all part numbers should still be good. Going to check more Monday.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts