BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Let me preface this with the condition of my car. 1991 M5, S38B36, 85k miles (just turned today!). Bought from the original owner summer of 2012. Even had the (non-working) factory-installed CD changer and car phone! (working but no analog signal anymore) Turbine wheels, all original interior, even some Cosmolene on the valve cover!

Anyway. Sorted the car out 'enough' (bushings, trans mounts, fluids, SLS delete, S52 chain tensioner) and have been loving it for almost two years. I had been putting off chipping it to preserve as much of the original-ness as I could for as long as I could. But the D'Sylva chip has been on the to-do list ever since I saw the car listed. My friend installed one on his E28 535is years ago, and the results were amazing. A few years later I installed one of his chips on my E30 paired with some E36 19# injectors (chip tuned for them) and again, very impressive results.

After the install yesterday (these links were very helpful here and here, thanks m5board!), and my blood pressure skyrocketing at the thought of accidentally messing something up inside the DME while trying to get the boards to separate, I went for a little drive. Well, it was going to be a little drive, but it turned into a multi-hour drive. I don't get to drive the car as often as I'd like, and it was garaged all winter.

I am EXTREMELY pleased with the results. This thing really is a new beast now. What surprised me the most was the change in engine note almost all the way up the rev band. It is noticably 'angrier' now. It sounds fantastic.

Driveability - vastly improved over stock. Particularly low and mid-range tip-in/tip-out. Surprised at how big the improvement is, given there's no real electronic throttle 'map' to tweak - cable throttle and fuel/air maps!
Idle - about the same as stock. I love the slightly lumpy idle and I'm glad it's still there. Old school power = hot cam = lumpy idle. I was hoping the idle speed would change a bit, since the stock idle seems to be at a resonance point with the factory exhaust. Oh well.
Sound - like I said, the engine just sounds different. It's like it has been amplified another 10%. Particularly at WOT it is just an angry beast now. Love the change. It's more raw.
Power/Torque - low and mid-range are definitely smoother and there is more torque there. I did some WOT runs in 1st, 2nd, 3rd....DAMN! Like I said it is a new beast now. I got used to the amount of time it would take to get through first and second, just listening to the engine. It is significantly quicker now, and gear changes come up faster than I'm used to. I have no dyno results, but the butt dyno says this is significant. It's just a faster car, particularly above 4,500 RPM or so.

So, thanks to Mark D for still making a fantastic product for these rare beasts! While I'm very happy with the bump in power, my favorite part about the car now is the different engine tone. A big reason I love the M5 / S38 so much is the sound of that engine...there are many, many other cars out there that are faster. But the note of that straight 6...makes the hairs stand on end! Time to go watch the Ronin chase again :haha:

Highly recommend it! Now if enough of us could just convince UUC/Corsa to make a twin-silencer cat-back for these cars...mmmmmm

Patrick

·
Registered
12 Posts
D'Sylva Chip

Yessir. The EAT chip is the way to go. When I bought my '91 M5, it had a Jim Conforti chip installed, so I have no OEM baseline. I felt that the lack of a fuel cut off point was a deal killer on that chip, so replaced it with an EAT chip. Happy ever since. I've put on over 100k mi and dozens of HPDE events with no issues. I opted for the "muffler delete" exhaust system. A little loud on the street, but wonderful on the track. I had the muffler shop chop off the rusted muffler and re-install the stock tips on two pieces of straight pipe. Resonator is still in place.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Awesome! I have an EAT chip waiting to be installed. I've been trying to sell my car but haven't had much luck. Maybe I'll put the chip and see what happens. Maybe it will change my mind about selling. Thanks for the great review!

·
Registered
234 Posts
Patrick:

I have had the same EAT chip installed in my 91 M5 for many years now and I am not sure if it is my imagination, but I could sense some very slight pinging sound at around 2900 to 3000 RPM. It goes away quickly if you keep the rev up so whenever I am driving up a slight uphill incline, I have to make sure to downshift just to keep the RPM well above 3000. Do you have the similar experience ? Didn't have this experience with the Dinan chip.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
What is the fuel quality you´re using?

I'm using standard US-spec 93 octane in my car. I'm pretty sure the octane ratings are different between US and EU...isn't premium in Europe something like 98?

I had issues with the Turner chip pinging in my old '99 E46 328i, even using 93 octane! But no issues with D'Sylva in the M5 or in my old E30 325is. It's a great product. I may or may not have hit triple digits on the drive in to work this morning. Third gear continues to be a complete and utter hoot in this car! Man it's fast.

Patrick

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
We quote RON in Europe, whereas US pumps generally quote an average of MON and RON.

I think the fuel numbers in general can be slightly better here in Europe for the basic stuff, but it's nothing like the difference in the numbers quoted. US has a lower number for the 'same' stuff. In the UK standard is 95 RON, premium is 97, 98. 99. 100.

·
Registered
234 Posts
What is the fuel quality you´re using? I´ve tried 95 octance on my S38B36 with E.A.T. chip installed with no pinging at all; but recently I decided to stick with best fuel I can get which is 100 octane :blink: (I normally use Shell V Power 100).

BTW here´s my E.A.T. refering thread:

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e34-m5-discussion/297385-e-t-ultrachip.html

I am in California and the highest octane fuel I can get in the metro area of Los Angeles is 91. May be this is why I am getting a slight pinging with the EAT chip at 3000 RPM under load.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
I am in California and the highest octane fuel I can get in the metro area of Los Angeles is 91. May be this is why I am getting a slight pinging with the EAT chip at 3000 RPM under load.
"the octane rating shown in Canada and the United States is 4 to 5 points lower than the rating shown elsewhere in the world for the same fuel."

Octane rating - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

·
Registered
40 Posts
I installed my EAT chip yesterday and I can't believe the improvement in driveability and increased power at the lower end! Definitely a worthwhile upgrade.
Thank you to D'Sylva and everyone here on M5Board for all your help!
:cheers:

·
Registered
238 Posts
To understand more about chipping read especially pages 5 "Manufacturers Tolerances" & 6 "Modified Spark Advance" :cool2:. Furthermore the octane ratings limit the benefit you can get with a modified eprom without pinging.

THE BROCHURE ENCLOSED SEEMS TO BE PRETTY OLD, it´s just about the general technical background infos inside.

PINGING: in case of lower octane ratings I suggest to avoid "pinging" but I am pretty sure there´s still some big engine performance gains in reference of driveability, throttle response, idle, etc.. "Pinging" or "knocking" how we call it here is the uncontrolled explosion of the fuel-air mixture which gives a massive hit on the piston before it reaches the top upper deadpoint (to position; don´t know the english name).

Of course this is just a basic information and there´s more to consider. Anyway, both my E.A.T. chips (one used, one new) work perfect on my engine and make the E34 M5 a much better car - even cruising is welcome :grinyes: .

For what I know, new E.A.T. chips are programmed in accordance to the octane ratings specified by customers.

Thank you Mark D´Sylva for what you´ve done about our engines :goldcup: .

Attachments

·
10,456 Posts
Not sure if they advertise it anymore, but dsylvia / eat used to make a california 91 octane fuel version of the chip which was a bit less aggressive. I had a confortti chip in my US car when i bought it, did get some pinging on hot days. Switched to the EAT 91 octane version and never occurred again.

Our US 91 octane is pretty equivalent to euro RON95. (though in california it may contain ethanol or be oxygenated at certain times of the year).

·
Registered
161 Posts
Not sure if they advertise it anymore, but dsylvia / eat used to make a california 91 octane fuel version of the chip which was a bit less aggressive. I had a confortti chip in my US car when i bought it, did get some pinging on hot days. Switched to the EAT 91 octane version and never occurred again.

Our US 91 octane is pretty equivalent to euro RON95. (though in california it may contain ethanol or be oxygenated at certain times of the year).
Hi mottati,

yes I still make the California version, but just ship it out if the buyer is in California. When I finally update my website one of these years, I'll clearly indicate that there is a version for 90 octane available (That is the CA version) , and also indicate all the chips I've made that are not even on the site. I actually made a new chip for 93 AKI / 97 RON, but only a few people in Toronto are driving with it, it has not yet been released.

MarkD

·
10,456 Posts
Mark, do you have a chip for my S38B38,'93 euro M5?
i wouldn't mind getting one of these myself. I've read he makes them, but nothing on the web site and when i sent in an email inquiry no reply.

·
Registered
161 Posts
i wouldn't mind getting one of these myself. I've read he makes them, but nothing on the web site and when i sent in an email inquiry no reply.
I'm sorry I may have missed responding to your email. If it arrived here between November and April, quite likely I didn't respond. I'll explain why by email. Do you mind sending another so I know your email address, and I'll search for the original email?

Thanks

Mark

·
Registered
142 Posts
Mark - do we simply go to your webpage and order from there? I am interested in obtaining one of your chips for my U.S. (California) spec 1991 M5 (S38b36)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts