BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey-

I'm looking to replace speakers in my 2000 M5. Here's the deal. I read on other posts that some stereos have 6 speakers on the front doors (one set of tweeters, one set of midrange, and one set of 5.25")

I know I have DSP, but don't know if i have M-audio. How can I tell without pulling the door panels off? And, if I end up having the tweeters and mid ranges, how would it sound if i only replaced the 5.25" on the front doors and rear deck (leaving the stock tweeters and midrange, if they're there)?

I guess the questions are: how to tell if I have tweeters/mids, and should I buy a component set, or a coax set?

Thanks,

Lance

·
10,455 Posts
i don't think there was an M audio option for the 00 model year. The way to tell is by looking in the trunk. M audio has 2 10" subs sitting under the package shelf. Not sure if m audio upgrades the door speakers.
Mike

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
Well, I know one of the answers: open the trunk and look at the woofers that point up into the rear parcel shelf- if they are big (like 10-12" diameter and hang down 3") those are the maudio woofs- and you have maudio.

You could also ask a dealer to print out the details on the VIN- should list all original options.

For some ideas:

http://www.adst.com/pdfs/bmwe39.pdf

Any changes to the factory system will require much research- IMHO: Just swapping out pieces without paying attention to frequency response, sensitivity, and amps is apt to not get much in the way of improvement.

A

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry - I should have included this (it's the reason for the thread). The previous owner installed an aftermarket system (DVD, TV, speakers, etc.). Unfortunately, he took out any telltale panels on the rear deck.

So I can't check the subs to determine it. Here's an inventory of what I see:

-DSP
-Four speaker grilles around the side view mirrors
-Two speaker grilles on the lower front doors
-Two speakers on the rear deck

I don't know what is functional, and what is not though.

I'll take a look at that pdf thanks for the link. Should I try to mimic the sensitivity, etc. of the stock system, or go with something else?

Lance

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
All bets are off. Re-engineer the electronics and audio from ground zero.

Perhaps there will be an audiophile who can take an inventory of what is stock and what has changed, then be able to specify appropriate drivers (and perhaps amps and cross-overs)-

It really depends on your ears and what you perceive- I've heard some pretty ugly sounding cars with very proud owner. Also another reason to discount inputs like "I put four 10" MB Quarts in my jetta with the stock amp and there were just awesome"

:)

ard

·
Registered
4,101 Posts
ard said:
All bets are off. Re-engineer the electronics and audio from ground zero.
I agree. I have always heard from many mobile audio professionals that changing just the speakers doesn't improve sound quality by much because you are still bound by the factory amp and head unit.

'Rocket

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
M audio was not offered for the 2000 cars- So your car should not have it. Maybe previous owner added it? M audio was an option for 2001 and I think sometime in 2002 they changed the system from pure digital to hybrid digital/analog.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I know that I am not running aftermarket amps, speakers, or wiring. He didn't leave me an aftermarket stereo, just a TV/DVD unit. I think he just removed th rear deck cover in the trunk to install subs, and didn't put the cover back when he returned to stock.

The TV/DVD combo is independent of the stock sound system. DVD's cannot be played through the stock system - only through infared headphones. In order to listen to tapes/cd/radio, the stock system must be used.

All that to say this - the aftermarket stuff he put on there did not affect the stock radio/cd unit. Either it wasn't touched, or was returned back to stock. And from what I've heard, the stock amp/head unit wasn't all that bad, unless you want to push major power.

I'm simply looking to retain the stock functionality/look, and improve on the stock system. I'm not looking to create a competition system....this considered, wouldn't installation of component speakers and a sub give me what I need?

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
MEnthusiast said:
in 2002 they changed the system from pure digital to hybrid digital/analog.
Yeah, the older models just played this hiss of static- much better when they converted the digital to analog prior to the speakers...

No such thing as a purely digital sound system...

ard

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
If I were considering this, here is my plan:

1. Determine the block diagram of the system- where are the speakers, where are the amps- where do they get signal and power
2. Determine the specs for each- power and S/N for the amps- any frequency shaping by the amps? Speakers- sensitivity and freq response.

Replace parts as appropriate.

As a first pass, replacing the factory drivers with higher quality drivers is good. As far as a sub goes, that will depend on the signal out of the head unit- but a quality sub that you can tune into the existing acoustics should be appropriate.

Unofrtunately, and I think this is what you wanted, I have no specific ideas on what drivers or speaks to recommend- sorry.

Next best tactic is to find a local high end auto audio shop who has worked successfully (based on other recommendtons) on E39s if not 2000 M5s and can put it together for you.

good luck

ard

·
Registered
361 Posts
The best thing to do is have someone who knows the car AND car audio to look at it. I have an idea you may want o check out.

If you don't mind driving to the mid cities this Saturday......

Grand Prairie Audio is having an invitation-only sale until 7:00pm. I'll be there, with my 2000 M5 of course, at 6:00. I'll be happy to meet you there and take a look at your car. We can compare it to mine. BTW, this guy is an extremely gifted custom stereo installer. So if you decide to replace some parts, this would be a great time to look at your options. I'm planning on installing the 10's in my car also.

Just a thought...if you are interested...shoot me an email
[email protected]

1 - 12 of 12 Posts