BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the mass consensus on how sensitive DSC is set on M5?

Albeit after only 400 miles, I have already found DSC to cut in several times. Just the slightest loss of grip when going through a roundabout (similar to S bend for those not plagued by them like us in UK) causes DSC to cut in and cut power. It's the same sensation as hitting the rev limiter, but when it does this mid bend it is disconcerting.

From what I have read, Porsche seems to have got it just right with 996 C4 and TT. Although the M5 is no lightweight and that it's bulk needs controlling somehow when pulling g's, I still feel that the DSC could be programmed to be less intrusive. Maybe this could be combined with 'Sport' button, so that when it is on, the DSC is also programmed to adjust for the more sporty driver.

Don't get me wrong, I think M5 is an awesome car, and is the best daily driver money can buy, I just think BMW has been just a bit too over cautious with DSC. Does any of the tuners mess with the programming of DSC??

Steve

·
Registered
5,239 Posts
Its too sensitive for my taste, especially at low speed. I would prefer that it ramped in as speed built. I absolutely want it on when I'm over 75mph - because, barring track time, there is so little opportunity to explore the limits there.

But below that, I find I turn it off a lot. The car is SO damn controllable anyway.

Especially when surfaces are dirty/gravely, it will kick in under acceleration and do its thing when just rolling a few feet would have corrected the problem. Wouldn't be so bad, but it takes its time getting back into the throttle.

Oh well, could be worse - they didn't HAVE to give us a switch!!!!

I'm sure this is REALLY tricky software- I'm sure there is a trade-off between level of added safety and fun-to-drive factors. But I'm sure it can be better too. The Porsche system sounds like it is more agreeable.

/G

·
Registered
52 Posts
my understanding is that the bmw dsc, including the m5, is tuned for safety and slippery road conditions. i had a porsche boxster with traction control and it was tuned for maximum lap times. different philosophy.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts