BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I heard here that one cannot cancel DSC when in Sport Mode. Well, if so...

Today I pressed both buttons; Sport Mode indeeed came on (the throttle became more sensitive, etc) and the wheel-slip warning light on my instrument panel ignited.

I didn't try to slide out (I was in traffic), but will do so tomorrow to verify...

Alps

·
Registered
5,239 Posts
You heard wrong. You can cancel DSC and engage sport mode. And yes, you can burn up a lot of rubber.

Have fun!

Of course, you should work up to this slowly and do it where you have "mistake" room - but I can tell you under normal conditions the M5 will not bite you - it isn't spin-happy - it is, after all, a BMW and a 5-series. It is very well balanced and with DSC off you can power-slide under control.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Greg; and I've been implementing your clutch technique since you first mentioned it. It makes for slightly jerkier driving but makes a lot of sense.

Alps

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
Originally posted by alpywhite:
Thanks Greg; and I've been implementing your clutch technique since you first mentioned it. It makes for slightly jerkier driving but makes a lot of sense.

Alps
???????????????

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
"On launch the clutch pedal should be fully out before you reach 1800 RPM AND before your foot hits the floor. If you WANT to burn rubber you can, but let the WHEELS slip, not the clutch. For an agressive 1-2 shift, the clutch should NOT be feathered AT ALL. Side-step it if you want. (This is where some smoothness is lost, but for good reason.)

Your 1-2 shift should sound like 2 distinct notes: 1st is a higher note, 2nd is a lower one. It should NOT sound like sliding from one note to the other on a trombone."

·
Registered
5,239 Posts
Please note that I was speaking specifically about performance launches. It is possible to be very smooth and still shift fairly quickly, and it is absolutely OK to "feather" the clutch to get smoothness - as long as you're doing so with only enough throttle to roughly match revs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts