BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to loosen brake lines to remove Abs/DSC unit. I can loosen 3 of the 6 bolts holding the brake line to the solenoid housing, the other 3 have starting stripping!!! Can the lines be cut and new bolts added or is that big no no?

·
Registered
705 Posts
You want to avoid cutting the lines to remove and replace the nut. However it is possible but you have to buy a special tool to re flare the line and use a tubing cutter to cut off as little of the current flare on the line as you possibly can.

you may be able to get by with your current nuts but it depends on how bad they are. What are you using to get the loosened? You should be using metric flare wrenchs, I think 11mm if I recall correctly, but sometimes when it’s damaged, you can use an imperial sized flare wrench to save the day.

also if you are comfortable, use a propane torch head to heat up the Al block, the lines and nut are steel, the block will expand a bit more than the nut, and that should allow you to break it free, but there’s a lot of Al to heat up. You can also use a heat gun, but you’re gonna have to hold it there for a while,

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Late to reply but if you do a search you find where I had to replace one of the hard lines bc the bottom fares end got scored when I removed it from the ABS /DCS block/module. The lines aren’t that expensive and come pre-bent with a new nut on it....you can get them from Turner Motorsports . It was a PITA to try and feed it down from the master cylinder but finally found a way that worked. I didn’t trust a flare tool or bending my own lines plus wanted to keep it stock. Just be carefull when you remove the lines from the ABS block and you should be ok. Not a job I’d want to do again, lots of brake fluid went through, and a lot of time spent getting it all back together with the new line. Plus I had to use INSTA and INPA (Which I hadn’t had prior so that was a fun curve ball learning how to get the applications and configuring them etc) to recalibrate and flush everything. but I can say Module Masters did a fine job fixing my unit. All in all saved prob about 5-7k doing this all myself.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts