1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ANY IDEAS?

Hey beasts.

I hope to get some help on this one.
Some days ago my DSP light turned on when starting the car.
It can´t be shut of again it stays on. Plus the brake light and abs light is also turned on.

The speedometer doesn´t work when driving.

My guess is one of the rear abs sensors is broken.
Any other ideas? Or anyone who can clarify my own idea?

·
Registered
12,865 Posts
Re: ANY IDEAS?

thomasserwin said:
Hey beasts.

I hope to get some help on this one.
Some days ago my DSP light turned on when starting the car.
It can´t be shut of again it stays on. Plus the brake light and abs light is also turned on.

The speedometer doesn´t work when driving.

My guess is one of the rear abs sensors is broken.
Any other ideas? Or anyone who can clarify my own idea?
I assume you mean DSC, not DSP. Could be abs sensor, but why no speedo? How about check the fuses, simple and no cost. In the glove box, particularly check 17, 30 and 31.
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

gsfent said:
I assume you mean DSC, not DSP. Could be abs sensor, but why no speedo? How about check the fuses, simple and no cost. In the glove box, particularly check 17, 30 and 31.
Regards,
Jerry
YES I mean DCS NOT DSP sorry :sad2:

Tried checking the fuses. But I can always doublecheck.
I have no clue why the speedo don´t work. My guess is the sensor is responding on speed.

·
Registered
27 Posts

Hi,

Don't want to be the voice of doom but I had a similar thing with the DSC light, except that my light was off when I started the car up from cold, and stayed off for the first 5 miles of the drive or so, then popped back on again. After about a week of that it just stayed on all the time. Local dealer made me change two sensors before concluding that the computer unit that controls it all had gone wrong. I don't have a warranty so it cost me over £800 :crying: . It did fix the problem though. I hope it isn't the same as what happened to me, or that you have a warranty.

Not sure this is what you have though as my speedo never stopped working... maybe the whole instrument cluster has gone wrong?

Cheers

Travis

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

dopamine said:
Hi,

Don't want to be the voice of doom but I had a similar thing with the DSC light, except that my light was off when I started the car up from cold, and stayed off for the first 5 miles of the drive or so, then popped back on again. After about a week of that it just stayed on all the time. Local dealer made me change two sensors before concluding that the computer unit that controls it all had gone wrong. I don't have a warranty so it cost me over £800 :crying: . It did fix the problem though. I hope it isn't the same as what happened to me, or that you have a warranty.

Not sure this is what you have though as my speedo never stopped working... maybe the whole instrument cluster has gone wrong?

Cheers

Travis
No no no... Don´t start saying things that is expensive.
I just got the vanos replaced as well no warranty.:crying2:

·
Registered
27 Posts

Hi,

I have exactally the same thing, sometimes the DSC and ABS light come on and also the speedometer does not work. If you stop and start the car it goes away. HOWEVER I have discovered that if I leave the key in the ignition and wait till all the lights go out before starting I dont get the problem. If I start the car before the lights go out they stay on! So leave the key in position 2 a bit longer and if yours is like mine the problem will solve itself! (like waiting for glow plug lights to go out on a diesel) Let me know if it works,

Paul.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Just ran it by the bmw dealer and had it checked.

right abs sencor is gone :eek:

·
Registered
27 Posts

Thats interesting, obviously thats whats wrong with mine too, however my 'trick' does work. Let me know how much it costs to put right, thanks

Paul

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

I bought the sencor and is changing it myself.

Mine did the same way as yours in the beginning so expect it to go soon.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

It´s very easy..

You can see it when crawling under the car.

I a not sure of the price. I have an account by BMW so won´t know until som days before I see the invoice.

But muc cheaper than having them change it fir sure cherrsagai

·
Registered
6,354 Posts

I had this too, just yesterday!

·
Registered
202 Posts
Guys, I have the same issue.
Speedometer not working, odometer stationary not adding, and DSC/ABS/SES lights on.
I get the following Peake codes:

8D - “Fuel level, plausibility”
84 - DSC message timeout
8B - Cruise control system
75 - Servotronic speed signal
2A - “Vehicle speed input signal, hardwired ‘A’ signal”
87 - Vehicle speed signals (both Discrete & CAN)

I guess I'll start by trying to stay in position 2 longer, but it seems like a new ABS sensor is in order?

Other than going to the dealer, is there any way to test which ABS sensor has gone?

·
Registered
336 Posts
abs sensor is certainly a lot cheaper than a new dsc unit! thats good news at least

1 - 16 of 16 Posts