BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read a bunch of threads related to this last night, but most of them had slightly different symptoms (mainly that the light was solid on all the time), so I was hoping someone might help me narrow this down.

Saturday - 25 miles into a roadtrip, DSC light came on and wouldn't go off. Stopped about 100 miles later for lunch, turned the car off and when restarted, the light went off as normal. Did another 60 miles with no light.

Sunday - 40 miles with no light. Stopped for lunch. About 70 miles later, the light came on again and wouldn't go off. Stayed on until I got home and had a chance to read codes.

No ABS or Brake warning lights. Speedo, tach, temp sensors, cluster were otherwise normal the entire time. No Peake codes stored.

I recalibrated my Steering Angle Sensor (per a post by Nightkrawler) last night and I had no issue this morning driving to work, but then again, this isn't typical so I don't know whether that fixed it. I got similar symptoms about 6 months ago, but restarting the car cured it and it hasn't been back. I'm not too worried about it as I drive the car without DSC a fair amount anyway, but this weekend I had my two young kids in the car and it was raining pretty hard, not exactly the time I would have wanted DSC off hmmm

Can I rule out any of the usual culprits (DSC module, wheel speed sensors) with these symptoms?

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Check your brake fluid level, the DSC uses this reservoir as well. I had very similar symptoms as you last year, and sure enough after I topped off the fluid, no problems since.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll check that out today, by the time I read up on the issue it was too dark to poke around in the engine bay. I had the brake system computer-bled about 4 months ago so I assumed all was well with the fluid level, but certainly worth a check. Thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
What condition is your battery in ?

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm not sure, I bought the car in Nov of 2009 and don't see any battery related maintenance records. I checked the voltage in the secret menu while chasing an electrical short down several months ago and everything appeared to be normal.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update: Had the car in to have tie rods and center link changed, and there were over 240 instances of the "Steering Angle Sensor fault" and the code was listed as Present. From what I've been reading in various places, that sensor requires taking the steering column apart and it has to be recoded to the car. Ugh.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts