BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so when I bought this 2000 M5 I was well aware that the rear brakes were toast (the seller was upfront about this during the sale). The 'Check Brake Linings' was displaying on the OBC so I knew they were bad. The red 'BRAKE' light was also displaying on the dash as well.

Tonight I did the back brakes and installed brand new Brembo rotors and pads. On top of that I installed a new rear brake sensor (the one that tells you when the brakes are bad).

Went to start the car up and the 'Check Brake Linings' is gone from the OBC so I know we're good to go there.

However, the red 'BRAKE' light is still on the dash and now out of nowhere the yellow DSC light (the one in the center of the instrument cluster that tells you when DSC is disabled) is on for no reason. The DSC button has no effect on it (you can press it but nothing happens) so I'm unsure what's going on here.

Shouldn't the 'BRAKE' light be gone now that I replaced the brakes? And why the sudden DSC light? Any ideas guys? I'm stumped with this one...

·
Registered
83 Posts
The Brake Light is separate from the brake pad indicator light. I would have the ABS system scanned to see what is causing the DSC and the brake light to turn on. Good thing that the ABS light hasnt come on yet. It could be a simple issue. My M5 had the same lights go on one cold morning, and both went off after the next start cycle.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Red brake light appears to be a different failure point. Get the module read and you'll have a better idea of where to track down the next issue.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Reactions: PumpinIron

·
Banned
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I assume that an OBDII scanner (a nice one) can't read the module? Is there a specific tool I can buy that could read it?

The good thing is my ABS module was rebuilt (with a lifetime warranty) by bimmeronly.com.

That being the case, I suspect it isn't the culprit thank goodness!

·
Registered
417 Posts
I don't suspect an OBDII scanner will help you much with that one. If you can find someone near with INPA, they can scan it for you. Or you can look into the purchase for yourself. It has saved me quite a few times and only set me back about $50 on eBay last year.

·
Banned
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What exactly do I need to purchase (link by chance?)?

I feel like owning something to help me diagnose things like this is probably a good idea considering the amount of electronics this car has.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I can't remember who I purchased from off hand but if you go to eBay and type in "INPA DIS", you'll find what you're looking for. Just make sure you get the cable with the round connector, or both like I did. Check reviews as well. I'll try to post my seller in the morning if needed.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
So to be clear, you have the DSC light on and the RED brake light, not the YELLOW brake light? and no ABS light? Have you tried driving the car yet and or cycled the key a few times (letting the modules power down in between)?

You should check to make sure you didn't accidentally lose connection on the rear ABS sensor while in there replacing the brake lining sensor.

Reactions: PumpinIron

·
Banned
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So to be clear, you have the DSC light on and the RED brake light, not the YELLOW brake light? and no ABS light? Have you tried driving the car yet and or cycled the key a few times (letting the modules power down in between)?

You should check to make sure you didn't accidentally lose connection on the rear ABS sensor while in there replacing the brake lining sensor.
It is the RED brake light, not the yellow one. No ABS light either, that goes off when you start the car.

I haven't tried driving the car yet, though I did try cycling the key several times with no success.

When I was replacing the rear brakes the location of the rear brake lining sensor was obviously apparent. However, I didn't see any ABS sensor when I was in there. Perhaps I should go check again just to be sure. however, I would think that if I knocked the ABS sensor loose that the ABS light would be on as well, no?

·
Registered
83 Posts
I cant recall if your year car had the 20pin Diagnostic Connector. But you may want to check with shops around your area, preferably a shop with some BMW experience. I know at my shop we dont charge to read codes off modules. Maybe you can find someone local to read the codes. I would do as technician117 said, and make sure everything is plugged in.

·
Banned
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I ordered PA Soft and the cable for my car so that should allow me to diagnose it myself.

My local shop wanted $100 for an hour of work just to plug their GT1 system in and diagnose it.

·
Banned
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That's what I thought... $100 just to plug a tool in and diagnose my car? I told them if they diagnosed it I would gladly order the parts from them so they could make some money off me at least.

Anyways, once the cable and PA Soft software gets here I'll post the results.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts