BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys

I got today both DSC Failure and Tire Pressure Monitoring system malfunction massages on my screen when I started the car. I drove it a couple of blocks and turned it off. When I started the car again the massages were gone and never back. This happened in the past several times in big snow conditions and colt weather.At my dealer they never said anything. Any ideas or whats going on with this car?

Best regards,
Hristo
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'll attempt to revive this question. I couldn't find it anywhere else on the forum

I regularly get both the TPM Warning and DSC Warnings at the same time and my theory is that the TPM warning can trigger a DSC code on its own (i.e. no other problems like wheel speed sensors, DSC module, etc).

Does anyone else have this same experience or can confirm the two are linked or are they just reported together?

Other background from my situation:
-NO TPMS installed, so TPM warning is expected
-Warnings come and go, usually every other day or so
-No other codes/issues known on my E60 M5
-I am running the 18" M winter wheels

·
Registered
98 Posts
Few things to try to just to rule out the obvious, pump the tyres up to the recommended pressures @ cold temp, and then remember do the Flat Tire monitor reset: Can do it via the iDrive or via that button thingy on the centre console near the ashtray. If the FTM/DSC X'mas lights still light up, then the next deep-dive would be to plug in a BMW specific code reader (ISTA and the like) and see what specific fault codes are happening at at what mileage are they being captured at. An intermittently failing wheel speed sensor could also cause such symptoms (and easily diagnosed when ISTA reads the stored fault code if any, and @ what mileage it happened).

Technical background: If you car didn't come with fctory TPMS, the FTM (flat tire monitoring) is a condition that is deduced from the DSC subsystem. When 1 wheel seems to be running a little bit faster than the rest and when steering is presumably pointing straight, this would trigger a FTM warning on the instrument cluster. The FTM isn't foolproof especially if all 4 tires are underinflated for example.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts