1 - 20 of 173 Posts

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
991 Posts
I'm not saying this is real one way or the other (and I know others on here say nope), but there do seem to be a few posts in the threads below over on Bimmerforums in the E39 section...you be the judge:

ASC+T/DSC Test: DSC/on, DSC/off, DSC/easter egg mode - Bimmerforums - The Ultimate BMW Forum

DSC Easter egg mode is awesome - Bimmerforums - The Ultimate BMW Forum

At the end of the day in could just be folks imagination...

Dunno, but I'd doubt you'll have the weather to find out if it's real or not out in Grapevine :) You could always go slide around the parking lot of Outdoor World and grab a beer at Big Buck's when you're done!

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Dunno, but I'd doubt you'll have the weather to find out if it's real or not out in Grapevine :) You could always go slide around the parking lot of Outdoor World and grab a beer at Big Buck's when you're done!
Hmmm...you sound like you may just be familiar with the area ;>...however, here's what I woke up to this morning:

·
Registered
126 Posts
Already tested from post on other forum on my m5. It exists, and there is a difference.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

·
Registered
797 Posts
Hmmm...you sound like you may just be familiar with the area ;>...however, here's what I woke up to this morning:
Yep, pretty cool. I took the son's 528e out because I was afraid of the horse hauler hurting someone or the M5 being hurt. E28s are a dream on snow or ice. I'll have to go out for an easter egg hunt tomorrow even though it's not so uniform anymore.

Have fun,

dj

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
this is nothing new, it's been common knowledge for a long time. idk if it applies to the m5 dsc as i've never tried it, but the 3 modes are...

1 dsc on(default)
2 dsc off
3 half on/half off, brakes are applied but engine torque is not cut.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
this is nothing new, it's been common knowledge for a long time. idk if it applies to the m5 dsc as i've never tried it, but the 3 modes are...

1 dsc on(default)
2 dsc off
NK - I guess I was surprised because one of my complaints about the M5 has been the early and dramatic intrusion of the DSC and I see a lot of folks who indicate the same thing (especially newer owners like myself) yet no one mentions this "mode". It may be that the delta isn't that great from full DSC or the hassle of holding the button down for 10 seconds (an eternity when you are waiting or if you want to have some fun on the spur of the moment) just isn't worth the small benefit.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Wow I can't believe it! I'll actually be in Dallas Love area tomorrow, but I have been going to Grapevine/DFW close to 3 times a year for the past 5 or 6 years. You familiar with the SimuFlite building located on the DFW airport? We use them for recurrent and upgrade training. Very nice area, I love it in Dallas. But, I've NEVER seen snow!

·
Registered
913 Posts
This easter egg actually works. Tested this morning on some safe turns I regularly take in the morning. Much more grip until DSC actually starts to kick in and even when it does, it doesn't feel like a chute has deployed from the rear of the car.

·
Registered
991 Posts
The engine will definitely still cut out if you push it hard enough in all modes of DSC being on. Try putting it in this "easter egg" mode and launching hard, or loading all the weight of the car to one side and stomping on the gas pedal. It still feels like regular DSC to me.

P.S. There are already a lot of threads about this.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
I just tried the "mode" during lunch break and can confirm that it does exaclty as mentioned before. The brakes came on but the power wasn't cut, BUT car was still not "allowed" to oversteer.

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
Since it has snowed 6" here today and drifted much thicker than that, I thought I would give it a try. There is a difference but not much. I can slide the car a bit more,but not significant. The engine does depower as it did before. The brakes come on the same. Driving I did not notice much, but there was something different.
There is a significant difference when you are sort of stuck however. Normally when the snow is deep enough to drag on the bottom I have to turn the dsc off and spin the tires a bit and or use the parking brake or the engine justs depowers and the car stays stuck. In Easter egg mode you can get the car rocking back and forth, or you can just drive out. Definitely a significant difference at low speeds.
One warning just restarting the car does not get it out of this mode.The car must sit off for a short period before you restart it, or the dsc button will not turn off the dsc .

·
Registered
841 Posts
haha that happened to me this morning i bugged out a little bit, Dsc worked fine after sitting for a while.

·
Premium Member
13,589 Posts
Already tested from post on other forum on my m5. It exists, and there is a difference.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

DSC III only has 2 modes. On and Off. The only thing holding the DSC button does is throw a shadow code saying the button was held down for > 10 sec.

This is something from cars with older DSC modules.

·
Premium Member
13,589 Posts

1 dsc on(default)
2 dsc off
It does not. The M5's are equipped with CBC, which cannot be disabled. I have verified this on the street and on a racetrack.

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
I'm glad this topic got over here. I had seen it on a different BMW website & was going to paste a link here. I haven't tried putting the DSC in this EE mode yet, but I will have to give it a whirl. Anything that is a little less obtrusive is a good thing for us E39 M5 guys... !

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
It's a myth on 540s, too. both my 98 (ASC+T - separate ASC throttle) and my 99 (DSCII - E-throttle) worked as if the DSC was full-on. Track and skid-pad tested (By me).

·
Premium Member
13,589 Posts
The engine will definitely still cut out if you push it hard enough in all modes of DSC being on. Try putting it in this "easter egg" mode and launching hard, or loading all the weight of the car to one side and stomping on the gas pedal. It still feels like regular DSC to me.

P.S. There are already a lot of threads about this.
And every single one that states the EE mode exists is a crock!

1 - 20 of 173 Posts